Confused about identity for product of cosines into a sum of cosines

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of rewriting a finite product of cosines into a finite sum of cosines. The method involves repeated application of the two-term product rule and results in the summation of all possible combinations of signs for the angles. This can be extended to products with more terms.
swampwiz
What I mean is the way that a product of cosines in which the angles increment the same amount is equal, with some extra terms, of the sum of the cosines.

It is discussed here:

https://math.stackexchange.com/ques...sines-be-rewritten-as-a-finite-sum-of-cosines

But I have no idea how this summation entity is applied.

jk + 1 ∈{ +1 , -1 }

I have been trying to search for a good explanation of this, but most of the time all I get is the stupid identity for the product of a pair of cosines.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you mean by "the way this summation entity is applied", but this is just repeated application of the two term product rule. For example
$$\cos(a)\cos(b)\cos(c) = \frac{1}{2}\left(\cos(a+b)+\cos(a-b)\right)\cos(c)$$

Using the product rule on a and b. Then you can distribute the ##\cos(c)##, and apply the product rule to that and ##a+b##, and that with ##a-b## to get

$$\frac{1}{4}\left( \cos(a+b+c)+\cos(a+b-c)+\cos(a-b+c)+\cos(a-b-c)\right)$$

This is just summing every way to pick a sign for b and c, so you can rewrite this as
$$\frac{1}{4} \sum \cos(a\pm b \pm c)$$

Which I think is effectively what is being written in that post. If you had k terms, you would just make that 4 a ##2^{k-1}## and add more ##\pm## terms.

There are eight ways to pick a sign for each of a,b and c, and half of them show up here. The other half are exactly negative of one of the ones that we wrote down, and cosine is an even function, so you could just include them and divide by another factor of two to get
$$\frac{1}{8} \sum \cos( \pm a \pm b \pm c)$$

And similar for if you have more terms.
Hopefully this helps a bit.

Last edited:
Likes swampwiz

1. What is the product of cosines?

The product of cosines refers to the multiplication of two cosine functions, where the resulting function is the product of their respective amplitudes and frequencies.

2. How do you convert a product of cosines into a sum of cosines?

To convert a product of cosines into a sum of cosines, you can use the trigonometric identity: cos(A)cos(B) = 1/2[cos(A+B) + cos(A-B)]. This allows you to rewrite the product of cosines as a sum of two cosine functions.

3. Why is it important to convert a product of cosines into a sum of cosines?

Converting a product of cosines into a sum of cosines can make it easier to solve equations or simplify expressions involving multiple cosine functions. It also allows for easier analysis and understanding of the function's behavior.

4. Can a product of cosines be converted into a sum of sines instead?

Yes, a product of cosines can also be converted into a sum of sines using the trigonometric identity: cos(A)sin(B) = 1/2[sin(A+B) + sin(A-B)]. This is useful when working with expressions involving both cosine and sine functions.

5. Are there any limitations to converting a product of cosines into a sum of cosines?

While converting a product of cosines into a sum of cosines can be helpful in many cases, it may not always be possible or practical. Some equations or expressions may not have a simplified form using this method, and in those cases, alternative approaches may be needed.