Confused about Parity Operator & Degeneracy in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the theorem states that if the Hamiltonian is degenerate, regardless of whether or not the parity and the Hamiltonian commute, then the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian do not have definite parity.
tshafer
We're working on the parity operator in my second semester quantum mechanics class and there is one point I am confused about, either in the definition of degeneracy or in the parity operator itself. We talked about a theorem whereby the parity operator and the Hamiltonian cannot share simultaneous eigenkets (or, alternatively, wave functions) if there is a degeneracy in the Hamiltonian, regardless of whether or not parity and the Hamiltonian commute.

However, I thought that the Hydrogen wave functions have a definite parity (going as whether [tex]\ell[/tex] is even or odd), even though the Hydrogen spectrum is highly degenerate ignoring corrections. What am I missing?

Thanks!
Tom

Physics news on Phys.org
that theorem is false! at least as you quoted it (your own example correctly contradicts it!). If H and P commute then they have simultaneous eigenstates. So there must be something missing... Do you have a reference? Does this theorem have a name?

What can happen is that if you have degenerate states in the Hamiltonian with different parities, that degeneracy can be destroyed by a perturbation that does not respect parity. For example, the Stark effect.

The statement is along the lines of "For commuting H and P, if H is degenerate its eigenkets do not have definite parity."

i.e. there is room for wiggling out of this due to degeneracy. We also talked about the double-well potential in the context of symmetry breaking... but I don't claim to fully grasp that yet.

If [itex]|\phi\rangle[/itex] is a normalized eigenket of H, then so is [itex]P|\phi\rangle[/itex] if H and P commute. Furthermore, these states are degenerate. Therefore, any linear combination of these states are also eigenstates of H.

In particular:

[tex]|\pm\rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(|\phi\rangle\pm P|\phi\rangle\right)[/tex]

are degenerate eigenstates with definite parity. So you should always be able to chose eigenstates that have definite parity.

There must be more to this theorem...

Thanks — I thought so, too, but this is my first serious exposure to parity or discrete symmetries at all. I'm making an attempt at trying to actually understand it rather than just floating along.

What is the Parity Operator in Quantum Mechanics?

The Parity Operator is a mathematical operator in Quantum Mechanics that describes the symmetry of a physical system under spatial inversion. It determines whether a system remains unchanged or undergoes a change when its coordinates are inverted. In other words, it determines whether a system is symmetric or asymmetric under a mirror reflection.

How is the Parity Operator represented mathematically?

The Parity Operator is represented by the symbol P and is defined as Pψ(x) = ψ(-x). This means that applying the Parity Operator to a wave function ψ(x) results in the same wave function with a negative sign on the position coordinate.

What is Degeneracy in Quantum Mechanics?

Degeneracy in Quantum Mechanics refers to the phenomenon where multiple quantum states have the same energy. This means that these states cannot be distinguished from each other based solely on their energies, and they are said to be degenerate. The number of degenerate states for a given energy level is known as the degeneracy of that level.

How is Degeneracy related to the Parity Operator?

The Parity Operator plays a role in determining the degeneracy of a system. If a system possesses a symmetry under spatial inversion, it will have degenerate states with the same energy. This is because the Parity Operator commutes with the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the energy of the system. Therefore, the energy eigenstates of a system will also be eigenstates of the Parity Operator, and states with the same eigenvalue of the Parity Operator will have the same energy.

Why is understanding Parity Operator and Degeneracy important in Quantum Mechanics?

Understanding Parity Operator and Degeneracy is important in Quantum Mechanics because it helps us understand the symmetries and properties of physical systems at the quantum level. It also allows us to predict and explain the behavior of particles and systems, and it has important applications in fields such as quantum computing and quantum information theory.