Confused about perturbation theory

In summary, perturbation theory is a useful mathematical method for approximating solutions to complex systems. It involves adding a small parameter to the system's equations and using the results to approximate the behavior of the original system. It has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and celestial mechanics. However, it has limitations and is closely related to other mathematical methods.
Malamala
Hello! Let's say we have 2 states of fixed parity ##| + \rangle## and ##| - \rangle## with energies ##E_+## and ##E_-## and we have a P-odd perturbing hamiltonian (on top of the original hamiltonian, ##H_0## whose eigenfunctions are the 2 above), ##V_P##. According to 1st order perturbation theory, the corrections to energy for both states is zero. So in order to get any difference in energy we need to go to second order and there the correction to, say, ##| + \rangle## state is:
$$E_+^2 = \frac{|\langle-|V_P|+\rangle|^2}{E_+-E_-}$$ Also the first order correction to the wavefunction implies that ##| + \rangle## becomes:
$$| + \rangle' = | + \rangle + \frac{\langle-|V_P|+\rangle}{E_+-E_-}| - \rangle$$ Now if I want to calculate the expectation value of the energy in this ##| + \rangle'## state, I would get

$$'\langle+|H_0+V_P| + \rangle' = \frac{\langle+|V_P| - \rangle\langle-|V_P|+\rangle}{E_+-E_-}+\frac{(\langle-|V_P| + \rangle)^\dagger\langle-|V_P|+\rangle}{E_+-E_-} + E_+ + \frac{|\langle-|V_P|+\rangle|^2}{(E_+-E_-)^2}E_-$$

So the correction to the energy would be:

$$\frac{\langle+|V_P| - \rangle\langle-|V_P|+\rangle}{E_+-E_-}+\frac{(\langle-|V_P| + \rangle)^\dagger\langle-|V_P|+\rangle}{E_+-E_-} + \frac{|\langle-|V_P|+\rangle|^2}{(E_+-E_-)^2}E_-$$

So there are a few things I am confused about (please let me know if I did any calculation mistakes):

1. Why isn't the expectation value I calculated in the last equation above, equal to the predicted shift in energy by the 2nd order correction? It seems like the expectation value is also second order in ##V_P##, so shouldn't they be the same?
2. If instead of ##V_P## I have a ##V_{PT}## i.e. a potential that is P,T-odd, what should I change in these calculations? In the case of parity it is clear when an expectation value is zero or not, based on the parities of the wavefunctions and the hamiltonian, but what should I do in case the potential is T-odd, too? The tricks from P-odd still applied (i.e. if a matrix element is zero for a P-odd, it is zero for a P,T-odd, too), but what further constraints do I get if I add the T-odd on top?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Second-order impacts on the wave function should still lead to differences in the expectation value via the different coefficients for E+ and E-. I would expect that you need to calculate one order more.

mfb said:
Second-order impacts on the wave function should still lead to differences in the expectation value via the different coefficients for E+ and E-. I would expect that you need to calculate one order more.
Thanks! Seems like you are right. I assumed that the second order wave-function would give 3rd order corrections in energy only. Do you have any insight about P-violating vs. P,T violating potentials? I am not sure how would the derivation would change in that case. In principle I am not sure if it would hold at all, as I would get some minus signs from hermicity/anti-hermicity which would screw up my previous derivation.

I don't know. Symmetry might simplify some things (and the absence could make it more complicated) but I don't know.

1. What is perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical method used to approximate the solution of a complex problem by breaking it down into simpler, more manageable parts. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems that cannot be solved exactly.

2. How does perturbation theory work?

Perturbation theory works by starting with a known solution to a simpler problem and then adding small corrections to account for the more complex aspects of the problem. These corrections are typically expressed as a series of terms that become smaller and smaller as the order increases.

3. What are the applications of perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory has a wide range of applications in various fields, including quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, fluid dynamics, and astrophysics. It is used to solve problems involving small changes or disturbances to a known system.

4. What are the limitations of perturbation theory?

While perturbation theory is a powerful tool for solving complex problems, it does have its limitations. It is only applicable for small perturbations and may not accurately predict the behavior of a system under large disturbances. It also assumes that the perturbations are small enough to be treated as linear, which may not always be the case.

5. How is perturbation theory different from other approximation methods?

Perturbation theory is different from other approximation methods in that it is based on a systematic approach of adding small corrections to a known solution. This allows for more accurate results compared to other methods that may rely on making simplifying assumptions. However, perturbation theory may not always be applicable or may become increasingly complex as the order of the corrections increases.