Confused about Weighted Least Squares

In summary: WLS?In summary, weighted least squares is used to solve a problem in which the weights are determined so that the residuals are minimized.
tom8
I am trying to use Weighted Least Squares with a linear model: Y = Xβ + ε, where Y are some observed measurements and β is a vector of estimates. For example, in this case β has two terms: intercept and slope.

The weighted least squares solution, as shown here, involves a weight matrix, W, defined as a diagonal matrix whose elements are inverse of the variance of the measurements Y (here we assume the measurements are uncorrelated so the matrix is diagonal). But this mean that, if I just keep W as an identity matrix, then I am assuming a measurement with errors / variances equal to 1 unit. So if my measurements are in meters, then I am assuming 1 m of variance. So it is unclear to me how this matrix W is used to represent measurement error in real life.

Physics news on Phys.org
tom8,
The variances would be in squared units. But in any case the goal is to minimize the (weighted) sum of the squared residuals. If you use equal weighting (so that W is the identity matrix), then you minimize the sum of the squared residuals. It doesn't matter so much what the units/scaling used for the weights are; the important thing is that the weights have the correct relative values (all equal weights in this case). Then, the same set of inputs will produce the same residual.
To give a very simple example, suppose you have a set of measurements of some value ##x## that come out to be ##(1.0, 1.1, 0.9) ~\mathrm{m}##. Then your least squares estimate for the true value of ##x## should minimize:
##w_1(x-1.0)^2 + w_2(x-1.1)^2 + w_3(x-0.9)^2##.
Assuming that all three measurements are equally good (they are all unbiased and have the same variance) so that you choose equal weighting, it shouldn't change the answer whether ##w_1 = w_2 = w_3 = 1~\mathrm{m}^2## or ##w_1 = w_2 = w_3 = ~10 \mathrm{m}^2##.

Likes BWV
Curious what actual problem would make weighted least squares necessary be OLS

1. What is Weighted Least Squares?

Weighted Least Squares is a statistical method used in regression analysis to account for unequal variance in the data. It assigns weights to each data point based on its variance, giving more weight to data points with lower variance and less weight to data points with higher variance.

2. When should Weighted Least Squares be used?

Weighted Least Squares should be used when the assumption of homoscedasticity (equal variance) in traditional Ordinary Least Squares regression is violated. This can occur when the data has outliers or heteroscedasticity (unequal variance) due to different groups in the data.

3. How is Weighted Least Squares calculated?

Weighted Least Squares is calculated by taking the inverse of the variance for each data point and using these values as weights in the regression equation. The regression coefficients are then estimated using the weighted data points.

4. What are the advantages of using Weighted Least Squares?

The main advantage of Weighted Least Squares is that it can produce more accurate results compared to Ordinary Least Squares when the data has unequal variance. It also helps to reduce the influence of outliers on the regression model.

5. Are there any limitations to Weighted Least Squares?

One limitation of Weighted Least Squares is that it relies on the accurate estimation of the weights. If the weights are not estimated correctly, it can lead to biased results. Additionally, Weighted Least Squares is most effective when the weights are known or can be accurately estimated, which may not always be the case in real-world data.