Confused by the contents listed on this soup can

• Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, the conversation is about someone trying to lose weight by eating sachet soup for lunch, which is mostly water and low in calories. However, the nutritional information on the packaging is confusing and the person is unsure if it is referring to the dry powder or the soup prepared with water. They also mention adding sardines for protein but the soup still tasted bland.
pinball1970
Gold Member
Background. Trying to lose weight via a clamp down on carbs so I decided to try sachet soup for lunch at work. mostly water, not many calories.

Examining the contents some of the wording is confusing.

Total Contents 81g = 4 sachets so 4 "meals" I weighed one and it was approximately 20g so fine with that.

Prep. One sachet add 230 ml of water. A bit runny for me but also fine.

Nutritional information below is where things get wooly. Is below the dry powder? "As prepared" suggests with water but if that is case how would adding more water increase the number of total grams?

If it is a % that would not work either, the total % per portion should go down not up as the dilution increases.

I shall be embarrassed if I have missed something obvious.
1663071900545.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The first column is per 100g of soup prepared in the standard fashion (230g water/sachet). For those who want easy arithmetic.
I would save the embarassment for when you spill the soup onto someone's lap!

Likes pinball1970
230 ml of water (or 230 g) + 20 g sachet = 250 g portion.

For a 100 g "portion", for example, the energy content would be:

381 kJ * 100 g / 250 g = 152 kJ

Likes Wrichik Basu and pinball1970
jack action said:
230 ml of water (or 230 g) + 20 g sachet = 250 g portion.

For a 100 g "portion", for example, the energy content would be:

381 kJ * 100 g / 250 g = 152 kJ
I worked it out as I was halfway writing to Bachelors.

I added a tin of sardines for protein and it still tasted bland.

Likes hutchphd

1. What do the numbers and letters on the soup can mean?

The numbers and letters on the soup can are most likely a combination of a lot code and expiration date. The lot code is used by the manufacturer to identify when and where the soup was produced, while the expiration date lets you know when the soup will no longer be safe to eat.

2. Why are there so many ingredients listed on the soup can?

The ingredients listed on the soup can are required by law to be listed in order of highest to lowest quantity. This means that the first ingredient listed is the most abundant in the soup, while the last ingredient listed is the least abundant.

3. Can I trust the nutrition information on the soup can?

The nutrition information on the soup can is regulated by the FDA and must be accurate to the best of the manufacturer's knowledge. However, it is always a good idea to double check the serving size and compare it to your own portion size to get an accurate understanding of the nutrition content.

4. What does "natural flavors" mean on the soup can?

"Natural flavors" is a term used to describe flavors that come from natural sources, such as fruits, vegetables, and spices. These flavors are often extracted and added to foods to enhance their taste.

5. Are there any allergens in the soup listed on the can?

The soup can should list any common allergens, such as dairy, wheat, soy, and nuts. However, it is always important to read the ingredient list carefully to ensure there are no allergens that may not be listed in bold or in a separate allergen statement.