Confused with resting membrane potential

In summary, the conversation discusses the resting membrane potential of a nerve cell and the movement of potassium ions. The net electrochemical gradient is said to drive potassium out of the cell, but this contradicts the fact that the inside of the membrane is negative relative to the outside. The speaker is confused about how the equilibrium potential and the relative concentrations of ions on both sides of the membrane play a role in this process. They are seeking clarification and explanation on these concepts.
Misr
hello world long time no see..actually I've been very confused with this resting membrane potential I've sooo many questions but i'll only ask one question for now .at rest the membrane of nerve cell is permeable to potassium , potassium goes outside the cell along its concentration gradient through non gated potassium channel leaving negative charges behind so the elwctrical gradient of potassium opposes its concentration gradient ...okay okay let's sum up... Concentrstion gradient drives potaddium outside the cell...electrical gradient drives potassium inside thr cell so what's my problem? My problem is that it is written in my textbook that the net electrochemical gradient tends to force potassium ions out of the cell..how?it's also written that each ion tries to reach an equilibrium potential where the flow of ion in one direction is balanced by its flow in the opposite direction...so its supposed that chemical gradient of potassium is balanced by electrical gradient so no net movement of potassium ions but this doesn't happen because it contradicts with the fact that the inside of the membrane is negative relative to the outside so what actually happens that potaddium is driven out of the cell because of the net electrochemical gradient. Can you understand my problem that makes mr suffer and think of it all the time?could you explain this for me pleade?can you write the relative concentrations of ions on both sides of membrane during rest and also during action potential?thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
up.....

1. What is resting membrane potential?

Resting membrane potential (RMP) is the difference in electrical potential between the inside and outside of a cell when the cell is at rest. It is measured in millivolts (mV) and is maintained by the uneven distribution of ions across the cell membrane.

2. How is resting membrane potential established?

RMP is established through the combined effects of ion channels, ion pumps, and the concentration gradient of ions across the cell membrane. Ion channels allow ions to move in and out of the cell, while ion pumps actively transport ions against their concentration gradient. This creates an uneven distribution of ions, which contributes to the RMP.

3. What factors affect the resting membrane potential?

The resting membrane potential can be affected by changes in the concentration of ions inside or outside the cell, changes in the permeability of the cell membrane to ions, and changes in the activity of ion pumps and channels. It can also be influenced by external factors such as temperature and hormones.

4. Why is the resting membrane potential important?

The resting membrane potential is important because it is essential for many cellular processes, including nerve and muscle function. It also plays a role in maintaining the osmotic balance of the cell and signaling between cells. Any disruption in the RMP can lead to dysfunction and disease.

5. How is the resting membrane potential measured?

The resting membrane potential can be measured using a technique called patch-clamp electrophysiology, which involves inserting a tiny electrode into the cell membrane to record the electrical activity. It can also be indirectly measured using a voltmeter to measure the potential difference between the inside and outside of the cell.