Electrodialysis with different anions

• Thread starter Ken99
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing an electrodialysis cell with two compartments, one containing a sodium chloride solution and the other containing sodium hydroxide solution. An electric potential difference is applied between the two compartments, causing ions to pass through a membrane. The question at hand is how to predict the amount of chloride ions passing through under different concentrations and voltages. The pH level in the right compartment remains constant due to the constant influx of OH- ions. The Nernst-Planck equation is mentioned as a potential model for predicting anion diffusivity, but the use of a Poisson-Nernst-Planck (PNP) model is suggested for considering multiple species. The importance of membrane permeability for the elect
Ken99
An electrodialysis cell has the left compartment containing sodium chloride solution; its right compartment contains sodium hydroxide solution. The concentrations of both solutions are 0.5 mol/L. There is a membrane separating two compartments and only allow charged ions pass through. An electric potential difference (10V-30V) is applied between these two compartments through embedded electrodes.
Under such a potential difference, both anions Cl- and OH- ions in the left compartment are pushed through the membrane; while Na+ enters from the opposite direction. My question is how to predict the amount of chloride ions through under different original concentrations (NaCl and NaOH) and under different voltages. I did some test and found the pH level in the right compartment remains almost the same, indicating OH- ions constantly enter the right compartment and compensate for its loss during oxidation reaction. What I am not clear is how the OH- concentration in the left compartment will affect the electrodialysis processes and how to quantify this effect.
I read some literatures about the single species model like the Nernst-Planck equation but it seems to consider the overall anion diffusivity only. A Poisson-Nernst-Planck (PNP) can consider multiple species. I read someone used it to predict the transient chloride diffusivity based on the ratio between the catholyte and anolyte. Is there any good way or analytical model which may be used to qualitatively or quantitative assess the electrodialysis rate?
Thank you very much!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
My guess is that the most important parameter will be membrane permeability. Not only it will be different for each ion, but it will be also different for different membranes.

1. What is electrodialysis with different anions?

Electrodialysis with different anions is a process used in water treatment to remove specific anions (negatively charged ions) from a solution. It involves the use of an electric current to separate the anions from the solution, allowing for the production of purified water.

2. How does electrodialysis with different anions work?

In electrodialysis with different anions, the solution is passed through a series of alternating anion and cation exchange membranes. An electric current is then applied, causing the anions to migrate towards the positively charged anion exchange membrane. This effectively separates the anions from the solution, producing purified water.

3. What types of anions can be removed using electrodialysis?

Electrodialysis with different anions can remove a wide range of anions, including nitrates, sulfates, chlorides, and fluorides. The specific type of anion that can be removed depends on the type of anion exchange membrane used in the process.

4. What are the benefits of using electrodialysis with different anions?

Electrodialysis with different anions offers several benefits, including high efficiency, low energy consumption, and the ability to target specific anions for removal. It is also a cost-effective and environmentally friendly method of water treatment.

5. Are there any limitations to using electrodialysis with different anions?

While electrodialysis with different anions is a highly effective method of water treatment, it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for removing certain types of anions, such as organic compounds, and it requires a reliable source of electricity to operate. Additionally, the process may be more complex and expensive compared to other water treatment methods.