Confused with the relationship between Volts, Current, and Power

In summary: Yeah essentially running a heating resistor straight from a panel. OK i think i have a better understanding of it now, just because an element has a rating of 400W, it doesn't mean that a 100W panel can't power it, more that it will only operate at what is available. Would that mean the resistor would only work at 140/400 of it's heat capacity? The R value is yet to be determined as i was thinking i could pick it to suit the energy needs once i understood what i could work with in regards to the potential resistors based on their wattage rating and voltage.
Benjamin Spice

Homework Statement

For an engineering assessment (first year with no electrical background), we are using a solar panel to power an element for a distillation system. we have calculated our heat energy output requirement that we need from our heating element as being 800 J/s. For simplicity we are assuming 100% heat transfer into the system.

My understanding is that if we have a 12V 140W panel, we have 11.67A, similarly 5.83A for a 24V 140W. Is it wrong to combine joule's law and Ohms law to end up with P=I2R, and then apply that to calculate the heat energy released from the element to then suit it to our initial heat energy requirement? P's units being in Joules and the resistance can vary based on the current from the solar panels.

In looking online for potential elements, many have high Watt ratings, what would happen if you attempted to use a 400W DC element in that 140W solar panel system. Currently i understand it as the voltages need to match, i.e a 12V panel needs to supply a 12V element. Is that train of thought wrong?

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks in Advance!

Homework Equations

P=IV
P=I2R

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes you sure can use Ohm's Law to substitute a quantity for combinations of the other two. Here is a link to a Formula Wheel, which should help you. This is just one link I found. http://www.sengpielaudio.com/FormulaWheel-ElectricalEngineering.htm
Print it out and slide it in your binder or put it on a bulletin board, for reference, until you have it down and don't need to refer to it as often.

Likes Benjamin Spice
Benjamin Spice said:

Homework Statement

For an engineering assessment (first year with no electrical background), we are using a solar panel to power an element for a distillation system. we have calculated our heat energy output requirement that we need from our heating element as being 800 J/s. For simplicity we are assuming 100% heat transfer into the system.

My understanding is that if we have a 12V 140W panel, we have 11.67A, similarly 5.83A for a 24V 140W. Is it wrong to combine joule's law and Ohms law to end up with P=I2R, and then apply that to calculate the heat energy released from the element to then suit it to our initial heat energy requirement? P's units being in Joules and the resistance can vary based on the current from the solar panels.

In looking online for potential elements, many have high Watt ratings, what would happen if you attempted to use a 400W DC element in that 140W solar panel system. Currently i understand it as the voltages need to match, i.e a 12V panel needs to supply a 12V element. Is that train of thought wrong?

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks in Advance!

Homework Equations

P=IV
P=I2R
Do you want to connect a heating resistor to a solar panel? The power rated for the panel is the power it can deliver. The power rated for a heating resistor is the power it can dissipate without being damaged. So the 400w resistor will deliver 140w of heat because that is the power from the source of energy. It is ok to use Ohm and Joule's laws you will need the R value. Is important to check current I needed to feed the resistor for example a 0,5ohm conected to 12V source will consume 24Amp that is 12x24 =288 watts more than the source can deliver.

Likes Benjamin Spice
Diegor said:
Do you want to connect a heating resistor to a solar panel? The power rated for the panel is the power it can deliver. The power rated for a heating resistor is the power it can dissipate without being damaged. So the 400w resistor will deliver 140w of heat because that is the power from the source of energy. It is ok to use Ohm and Joule's laws you will need the R value. Is important to check current I needed to feed the resistor for example a 0,5ohm conected to 12V source will consume 24Amp that is 12x24 =288 watts more than the source can deliver.

Yeah essentially running a heating resistor straight from a panel. OK i think i have a better understanding of it now, just because an element has a rating of 400W, it doesn't mean that a 100W panel can't power it, more that it will only operate at what is available. Would that mean the resistor would only work at 140/400 of it's heat capacity? The R value is yet to be determined as i was thinking i could pick it to suit the energy needs once i understood what i could work with in regards to the potential resistors based on their wattage rating and voltage.

Was i right in the thought that given the panel is 12V, the resistor/element also needs to operate at 12 volts? like you can't run a 24V resistor/element off of a 12V panel, or vice versa? or can you run a 12V off of a 24V source?

thanks for that response btw, already helpful!

Last edited:
Yes to the first question. Your resistor will work with less power than it can stand. But the same happens in an electrical oven whe you regulate temperature to less than the maximun. Maybe you will have to check also if with that % of power the temperature will reach the right value.
To the second. Generally the power source deliver a constant voltage within a range of currents. And a resistor can stand a range of voltage (there is a maximun for ex. 200V) always keeping that VI=I2R<=400W. Maybe some resistor has a specific voltage and current to match in that case you will have to match voltage also.

You will have to work with both the source and the resistor until you get the right pair.

Likes Benjamin Spice
Diegor said:
Yes to the first question. Your resistor will work with less power than it can stand. But the same happens in an electrical oven whe you regulate temperature to less than the maximun. Maybe you will have to check also if with that % of power the temperature will reach the right value.
To the second. Generally the power source deliver a constant voltage within a range of currents. And a resistor can stand a range of voltage (there is a maximun for ex. 200V) always keeping that VI=I2R<=400W. Maybe some resistor has a specific voltage and current to match in that case you will have to match voltage also.

You will have to work with both the source and the resistor until you get the right pair.

perfect, thanks a lot for your help. That cleared it up for me, really appreciated :)

1. What is the difference between Volts, Current, and Power?

Volts, current, and power are all related to each other and are important concepts in understanding electricity. Volts measure the strength of an electric field, current measures the flow of electric charge, and power is the rate at which energy is transferred. In simpler terms, volts are the force, current is the flow, and power is the rate at which electricity is being used.

2. How are Volts, Current, and Power related to each other?

Volts, current, and power are related through Ohm's Law, which states that current is equal to voltage divided by resistance. This means that if the voltage increases, the current will also increase, and if the resistance increases, the current will decrease. Power is also related to volts and current through the formula P=VI, where P represents power, V represents volts, and I represents current.

3. What is the unit of measurement for Volts, Current, and Power?

Volts are measured in units of volts (V), current is measured in units of amperes (A), and power is measured in units of watts (W). Each of these units represent different aspects of electricity and are necessary for understanding its behavior.

4. Can you give an example of how Volts, Current, and Power work together?

Imagine a light bulb that requires 120 volts to function. When you turn the light on, it draws a certain amount of current, let's say 1 ampere. Using the formula P=VI, we can calculate that the power being used by the light bulb is 120 watts. This shows how all three concepts are necessary for understanding electricity in practical situations.

5. How can I differentiate between Volts, Current, and Power in a circuit?

In a circuit, volts are typically represented by the symbol V, current is represented by the symbol I, and power is represented by the symbol P. These symbols are commonly used in circuit diagrams and can help you identify the different components in a circuit. Additionally, understanding the relationship between volts, current, and power can also help you differentiate between them in a circuit.