Confusion about calculating energy output.

In summary, the conversation discusses the energy output of a laser and how it compares to the energy required to make tea. The Nova laser at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory is capable of delivering a power of 1.60 × 1013 W over a time interval of 2.50 ns. The individual is struggling with understanding how to calculate the energy output and considers different methods, such as multiplying or dividing. Through analyzing the units involved and the definition of a Watt, the individual concludes that the energy output can be calculated by multiplying the power by a given time interval, such as the 2.50 ns mentioned, to obtain the energy in Joules. It is then up to the individual to interpret the meaning and significance of this value
srarahcha
Homework Statement
I have a question that involves comparing the energy output of a laser to the energy required to make tea. I've already calculated the energy to make tea and I know what to do to find how long it takes to make the tea but I'm struggling with the energy output part.

It says: The Nova laser at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California is used in studies of initiating controlled nuclear fusion . It can deliver a power of 1.60 × 1013 W over a time interval of 2.50 ns.

The attempt at a solution
So initially I multiplied the W by the ns (converted to s) to find the Watts over an interval of 1 second but idk if that worked... then I divided it instead but I don't think that's right either... Now I'm going to try just substituting the nanoseconds and the watts into an equation to find the time and see if it works! But I'm still quite confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
What numbers have you got from your calculation?

Analyze the units involved. What's the definition of a Watt?

So when I multiplied it, i got 40000J. When I divided instead, I got 6.4x10^21.

so I just thought about how power (Watts) is Joules over a specific time interval... so if the Power is 1.60 x 1013Watts over a 2.50 ns interval, and P=J/Δt, then if I rearrange the equation to 1.60 x 1013 W * 2.50 x 10-9 s = Joules, i would also get the joules/second (aka Watts with a time interval of 1 s) because Joules over 1 second is the same number...

One Watt is one Joule per second: 1 W = 1 J/s. So if you multiply by a given time (such as your 2.50 ns) you get the total energy in Joules produced over that time interval. The result has the unit Joules. It's then up to you to interpret what that value means in the context of what you're trying to accomplish. For example, you now know how much energy you can get from a single firing of the laser.

1. What is energy output and why is it important to calculate?

Energy output refers to the amount of energy produced in a given system or process. It is important to calculate because it helps us understand the efficiency and effectiveness of various energy sources and processes, and allows us to make informed decisions about energy use and conservation.

2. What are the common units used for measuring energy output?

The most common units used for measuring energy output are joules (J) and kilowatt-hours (kWh). Other units may also be used, depending on the specific system or process being measured.

3. How do you calculate energy output?

The formula for calculating energy output is power (in watts) multiplied by time (in seconds). This can be represented as E = Pt, where E is energy in joules, P is power in watts, and t is time in seconds. For example, if a 100-watt light bulb is left on for 10 seconds, the energy output would be 1000 joules (100 watts x 10 seconds).

4. What are some factors that can affect energy output calculations?

Some factors that can affect energy output calculations include the efficiency of the system or process, the type of energy source used, and any energy losses due to heat or friction. It is important to consider these factors in order to get an accurate measurement of energy output.

5. How can I use energy output calculations in my daily life?

Energy output calculations can be used in various ways in daily life, such as determining the energy usage of household appliances, comparing the efficiency of different modes of transportation, or tracking personal energy consumption. Understanding energy output can also help individuals make more sustainable choices and reduce their carbon footprint.