Confusion about conditional probability

In summary, given that 70% of statisticians and 30% of economists are shy, and that 80% of the people at a gathering are economists and 20% are statisticians, the probability that a randomly chosen shy person at the gathering is a statistician is 14/38 or approximately 0.368. This can be understood by imagining a group of 100 people at the gathering, with 80 economists and 20 statisticians. Out of the 38 shy individuals in this group, 14 are statisticians, giving a probability of 14/38. This can also be calculated using Bayes' formula.
TheMathNoob

Homework Statement

Suppose that 70% of the statisticians are shy, whereas 30% of the economist are shy. Suppose also that 80% of the people at a large gathering are economists and the remaining 20% are statisticians. If you randomly meet a person at the gathering and the person is shy, what is the probability that the person is a statistician?
How can you interpret this statement?
Suppose that 70% of the statisticians are shy.

It sounds to me like the prob that we choose a person who is and statistician and is shy
but it is the prob that we choose a person who is shy given that he is an statistician

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
andrewkirk said:
Bayes formula provides the solution to this.
this is my problem

It sounds to me like the prob that we choose a person who is and statistician and is shy
but it is the prob that we choose a person who is shy given that he is an statistician

TheMathNoob said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that 70% of the statisticians are shy, whereas 30% of the economist are shy. Suppose also that 80% of the people at a large gathering are economists and the remaining 20% are statisticians. If you randomly meet a person at the gathering and the person is shy, what is the probability that the person is a statistician?

Homework Equations

You have it backwards. The person you meet is shy---that is, you are given that he/she is shy. So, you want P(stat|shy). Note that you already know the opposite conditional probability P(shy|stat), which was specified as part of the input data for the problem

TheMathNoob said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

To understand these sort of questions I suggest drawing a probability tree and working backwards from right to left.

This allows you to see all the cases where there is the specified outcome (here that someone is shy) and allows you to map back to calculate the likely source of the outcome: Of all the shy people how many of them are statisticians.

Ray Vickson said:
You have it backwards. The person you meet is shy---that is, you are given that he/she is shy. So, you want P(stat|shy). Note that you already know the opposite conditional probability P(shy|stat), which was specified as part of the input data for the problem
I think MathNoob is asking for clarification on one of the stated facts, not yet to the point of addressing the question.

TheMathNoob said:
No, that would match "70% of people are shy statisticians".
The "of" indicates the population to be sampled. 70% of statisticians have property P means that if we sample all the statisticians then 70% of them will have the property, so if we pick one at random then there is a 0.7 probability she will have that property.

TheMathNoob said:

Homework Statement

Here's how I would do this: Imagine 100 people at the gathering. 80% of them, 80, are economists and 20%, 20, are statisticians. 70% of the statisticians, .70(20)= 14, are shy and 30% of the economists, .3(80)= 24, are shy. So there are a total of 14+ 24= 38 shy people, and 14 of them are statisticians. "Given that the person is shy" means that we restrict ourselves to only shy people and determine what percentage of them are statisticians.

Relevant equations

[/QUOTE]

Related to Confusion about conditional probability

1. What is conditional probability?

Conditional probability is the measure of the likelihood of an event occurring, given that another event has already occurred. It is denoted as P(A|B), where A is the event of interest and B is the condition or event that has already happened.

2. How is conditional probability calculated?

Conditional probability is calculated by dividing the probability of the joint occurrence of the two events by the probability of the condition or event that has already occurred. It can be represented as P(A|B) = P(A and B) / P(B).

3. What is the difference between conditional probability and unconditional probability?

Unconditional probability is the probability of an event occurring without any conditions or prior knowledge, while conditional probability takes into account a specific condition or event that has already occurred.

4. What are some real-life examples of conditional probability?

Some real-life examples of conditional probability include predicting the likelihood of a person having a certain disease given their medical history, determining the probability of a customer making a purchase based on their browsing history, and estimating the chances of a flight being delayed based on the weather conditions.

5. How can conditional probability be used in decision making?

Conditional probability can be used in decision making by providing a more accurate estimate of the likelihood of an event occurring, given certain conditions. It can help to inform decisions by taking into account the influence of different variables on the outcome.