Multiplication rule for conditional probabilities

In summary: P(A) = Pr(A) = r/(r+b) = 5/(5+1) = 2/9 = 0.22... and for some B we also have...P(B) = Pr(B|A) = b/(r+b−1) = 5/(4+1) = 1/2
TheMathNoob

Homework Statement

Selecting Two Balls. Suppose that two balls are to be selected at random, without replacement, from a box containing r red balls and b blue balls. We shall determine the probability p that the first ball will be red and the second ball will be blue

I am confusing Pr(A|B) and Pr(A∩B). In some cases they might look the same to me, so how can I recognize the difference between them.

Homework Equations

Pr(A∩B)=Pr(A) Pr(B|A)
Pr(A∩B)=Pr(B) Pr(A|B).

The Attempt at a Solution

This is an example from the book, so the solution is already there.
Let A be the event that the first ball is red,and let B be the event that the second ball is blue. Obviously
, Pr(A)=r/(r +b)

Furthermore, if the event A has occurred, then one red ball has been removed from the box on the first draw. Therefore, the probability of obtaining a blue ball on the second draw will be

Pr(B|A)= b/( r +b−1)

It follows that
Pr(A∩B)= r/( r +b)* (b/( r +b−1))

So the line " Furthermore, if the event A has occurred, then one red ball has been removed from the box on the first draw. Therefore, the probability of obtaining a blue ball on the second draw will be " looks the same to me as Pr(AnB) because the two events have to have occurred.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheMathNoob said:

Homework Statement

Selecting Two Balls. Suppose that two balls are to be selected at random, without replacement, from a box containing r red balls and b blue balls. We shall determine the probability p that the first ball will be red and the second ball will be blue

I am confusing Pr(A|B) and Pr(A∩B). In some cases they might look the same to me, so how can I recognize the difference between them.

Homework Equations

Pr(A∩B)=Pr(A) Pr(B|A)
Pr(A∩B)=Pr(B) Pr(A|B).

Let A be the event that the first ball is red,and let B be the event that the second ball is blue. Obviously
, Pr(A)=r/(r +b)

Furthermore, if the event A has occurred, then one red ball has been removed from the box on the first draw. Therefore, the probability of obtaining a blue ball on the second draw will be

Pr(B|A)= b/( r +b−1)

It follows that

So the line " Furthermore, if the event A has occurred, then one red ball has been removed from the box on the first draw. Therefore, the probability of obtaining a blue ball on the second draw will be " looks the same to me as Pr(AnB) because the two events have to have occurred.

No, you are confused: the joint probability ##P(A \cap B)## is the probability that BOTH ##A## AND ##B## will occur. The conditional probability ##P(B|A)## is the probability that ##B## will occur, GIVEN THAT ##A## is known to have occurred already.

One of these refers to a probability of ##B## only (of course, in the new "sample space" ##A##!); the other refers to both occurring.

If you are still confused, it may help to consider A=B. P(B|B)=1, but ##P(B \cap B)=P(B)##.

TheMathNoob said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Pr(A∩B)=Pr(A) Pr(B|A)
Pr(A∩B)=Pr(B) Pr(A|B).

, Pr(A)=r/(r +b)

Pr(B|A)= b/( r +b−1)

It follows that

To expand on my initial answer, suppose r = b = 5, and A is an event which talks about what happened in the first 9 draws, while B = {last ball is blue}. What might be surprising is that P(B) = 1/2 (if you are told nothing at all about what happened in the first 9 draws---only that 9 balls have already been drawn and one is left in the urn). [More on this later.]

Clearly, for some A we have P(B|A) = 0 (because there are no blue balls left), while for other A we have P(B|A) = 1 (because there is only a blue ball left). However, if A and B are not incompatible, then ##0 < P(A \cap B) < 1##; this will be the case for any A such that ##A \cap B \neq \emptyset##.

Why ##P(B) = 1/2##? Number the balls from 1--10, and say balls 1--5 are blue. Look at all 10! permutations of the numbers 1--10, and look at those that have numbers 1--5 last. Exactly half of the permutations have that property, so ##P(B) = (1/2) 10! / 10! = 1/2##.

What is the multiplication rule for conditional probabilities?

The multiplication rule for conditional probabilities is a mathematical formula used to calculate the probability of two events occurring together. It states that the probability of event A and event B occurring is equal to the probability of event A occurring multiplied by the probability of event B occurring given that event A has already occurred.

How is the multiplication rule for conditional probabilities different from the addition rule?

The multiplication rule for conditional probabilities is used when the two events are dependent, meaning that the occurrence of one event affects the probability of the other event. On the other hand, the addition rule is used when the two events are independent, meaning that the occurrence of one event does not affect the probability of the other event.

Can the multiplication rule be applied to more than two events?

Yes, the multiplication rule for conditional probabilities can be extended to more than two events. In this case, the formula would be modified to include the conditional probabilities of each event given that the previous events have already occurred.

How is the multiplication rule used in real-life scenarios?

The multiplication rule for conditional probabilities is commonly used in fields such as epidemiology, genetics, and finance. For example, it can be used to calculate the probability of a person having a disease given that they have a specific genetic mutation and are exposed to a certain environmental factor.

Are there any limitations to the multiplication rule for conditional probabilities?

One limitation of the multiplication rule is that it assumes that the events are independent or that the conditional probabilities remain constant. In real-life situations, this may not always be the case, and the results obtained from the multiplication rule may not accurately reflect the actual probabilities.