Confusion in Maxwell's derivation of Ampere's Force Law - II

In summary, the equation P=\dfrac{B+C}{2r} is the outcome of the special case (i.e. l=1, m=0, n=0) but in the general case it becomes ##P=\dfrac{B+C}{2r}##.
faheemahmed6000
I am reading Maxwell's "a treatise on electricity and magnetism, Volume 2, page 156" about "Ampere's Force Law". I have some confusion in the following pages:
a5BT4.png
KCnOT.png

My question is of two parts:
1.Equation 20, i.e. ##P=\dfrac{B+C}{2r}## is the outcome of special case (i.e. l=1, m=0, n=0)

But in Page 156, Article 517, Maxwell says: "We can now eliminate P, and find the general value of ##\dfrac{dX}{ds}##" and uses this formula (i.e. ##P=\dfrac{B+C}{2r}##) in the general case.

However in the general case, where 0 < l, m, n < 1, and hence
##\dfrac{d^{2}X}{dsds'}=l\left( \frac{dP}{ds'}\xi^{2}-\dfrac{dQ}{ds'}+(B+C)\dfrac{l'\xi}{r}\right) +m(...)+n(...)\neq0##
(since direction of X is not in the direction of ds)

therefore,
##\dfrac{dX}{ds}=l\left[ (P\xi^{2}-Q)_{(s',0)}-\int\limits_0^s' (2Pr-B-C)\dfrac{l'\xi}{r}ds'\right] +m\int\limits_0^s'(...)ds'+n\int\limits_0^s'(...)ds'##
Now in this general case, how can we get ##P=\dfrac{B+C}{2r}##.

If ##P\neq\dfrac{B+C}{2r}## in general case, what does Maxwell mean by "We can now eliminate P, and find the general value of ##\dfrac{dX}{ds}##"
2. How can one get equation 21 from equation 15. Please give a lengthy derivation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it's a pity that you get no answers. My problem is that I have not the time to decipher Maxwell's ancient notation to make sense of it. Perhaps, it helps, if you "translate" the argument in modern standard notation of vector calculus?

Up to here (page 156), there is no dot or cross product and the language and notation (except a few) are common. I had nothing to 'decipher' up to page 156 (except to solve a few maths). What I only don't understand (up to page 156) is the generalisation of ##P=\dfrac{B+C}{2r}##. Can you please go through the pages and explain why ##P=\dfrac{B+C}{2r}## is generalised for all values of ##l, m, n## as well as for open circuits while it is derived from special case ##(l=1, m=0, n=0)##? There is nothing hard to decipher here. I am reading this old book because this is only where I find a historic derivation of Ampere's Force Law. Any help would be appreciated.

Well, I've no clue what all the symbols mean and thus have even less a clue what Maxwell is doing there :-(. It's very hard for me to follow 19th century literature before the invention of modern vector notation (which is, as far as I know, due to the successors of Maxwell like Heaviside and Poynting in applying his theory to the upcoming engineering problems related to telegraphs, sea cables, etc.). Even the electromagnetic part of Einstein's famous paper of 1905 about special relativity is very hard to read, because he writes out everything in terms of components of the fields. If you "translate" it to modern notation, it's pretty quickly obvious, what he is doing!

How do I translate it to vector notation

I believe that what you are doing belongs to the history and philosphy of science. If you want lo learn the subject I suggest you do it in the modern way.It is eassier in that way

Related to Confusion in Maxwell's derivation of Ampere's Force Law - II

1. What is Ampere's Force Law and why is it important in physics?

Ampere's Force Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the force between two current-carrying wires. It is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of electric currents and magnetic fields.

2. What is the role of Maxwell's derivation in understanding Ampere's Force Law?

Maxwell's derivation of Ampere's Force Law is a mathematical proof that shows the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields. It helps us understand the underlying principles behind the law and its applications.

3. Why is there confusion in Maxwell's derivation of Ampere's Force Law?

There is confusion in Maxwell's derivation because there are multiple versions of the derivation, and some of them have inconsistencies or errors. This has led to debates and discussions among scientists about the correct derivation.

4. How does the confusion in Maxwell's derivation affect our understanding of Ampere's Force Law?

The confusion in Maxwell's derivation does not affect our understanding of Ampere's Force Law as the law itself is well-established and has been confirmed through experiments. However, it can affect the way we teach and explain the law, as well as our interpretation of its underlying principles.

5. What efforts are being made to resolve the confusion in Maxwell's derivation?

Scientists are continuously working to resolve the confusion in Maxwell's derivation by studying and analyzing the different versions of the derivation. They are also conducting experiments to test the different versions and determine which one is the most accurate. Additionally, there are ongoing discussions and debates within the scientific community to reach a consensus on the correct derivation.