Confusion when dealing with loops and surfaces with Maxwell equations

In summary, the circumference of the circle around the loop is the area in which we calculate the time derivative of the electric flux.
greg_rack
Gold Member
DISCLAIMER: in Italy, we talk about "circuitazione" of a field through a closed loop ##\gamma##, for the physical quantity $$\Gamma_\gamma(\overrightarrow{E}) = \sum_{k}\overrightarrow{\Delta l_k} \cdot \overrightarrow{E_k}$$
but after some research, I haven't managed to find the correspondent in English...

Hi guys,
I am having troubles with Maxwell equations related to "choosing" the right frame, of the right radius/dimension for calculating the varying flux of an electromagnetic field and the related loop, for the corresponding induced EM field.

For instance, let's assume a capacitor with parallel-circular plates, of radius ##R## at distance ##d##. The voltage ##V(t)## across it varies over time.
Say we want to calculate the induced mag field at a distance ##r## from the axis of the capacitor, with ##r<R##.
By the fourth Maxwell equation, we know that the "circuitazione" around the loop of radius ##r## is ##\Gamma_\gamma(\overrightarrow{B})=\mu(\epsilon \cdot x^2\pi \cdot\frac{dE}{dt})## and, by definition, ##\Gamma_\gamma(\overrightarrow{B})=2\pi r\cdot B##.

Now, my question is, which radius should I pick in place of ##x## related to the flux variation, and why?
Should it be ##r## or ##R##?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say "circulazione" is the closed loop line integral ##\oint \vec B \cdot d\vec l.## I have seen it called "circulation" by some people. In your expression ##x^2\pi## is the area of a circle of radius ##x##. The circulazione or line integral is taken around the boundary of that circle, so ##r## and ##x## must match. That's a consequence of Stokes' theorem, if you have studied it.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and greg_rack
It should be ##x=r##. The way the fourth Maxwell's equation is in integral form it means that the area enclosed by the loop of radius ##r## is the area in which we calculate the time derivative of the electric flux (displacement current).

Likes greg_rack

1. What are Maxwell's equations and how do they relate to loops and surfaces?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They relate to loops and surfaces because they involve the integration of electric and magnetic fields over these geometric objects.

2. How do loops and surfaces affect the behavior of Maxwell's equations?

Loops and surfaces play a crucial role in Maxwell's equations as they allow for the calculation of electric and magnetic fields at specific points in space. The integration of these fields over loops and surfaces is necessary to fully understand the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in a given system.

3. Why is it important to understand the concept of loops and surfaces in relation to Maxwell's equations?

Understanding loops and surfaces is essential in solving problems involving Maxwell's equations. These concepts allow for the calculation of electric and magnetic fields at specific points and help us analyze the behavior of these fields in different systems.

4. What are some common sources of confusion when dealing with loops and surfaces in Maxwell's equations?

One common source of confusion is understanding the direction of integration over a loop or surface. Another is determining the appropriate loop or surface to use for a given problem. Additionally, the use of different coordinate systems can also cause confusion when dealing with loops and surfaces in Maxwell's equations.

5. How can one overcome confusion when dealing with loops and surfaces in Maxwell's equations?

One way to overcome confusion is to practice solving problems involving loops and surfaces in Maxwell's equations. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of vector calculus and coordinate systems. Seeking help from a mentor or instructor can also clarify any confusion and provide additional guidance.