Confusion with Relative Extrema and Intervals

In summary: Sorry, I'm getting myself confused again.In summary, the conversation is about the definition of relative extrema and whether they can occur at the endpoints of a closed interval. Some people define relative extrema so that they cannot occur at the endpoints, while others include them as possible relative extrema. However, the Extreme Value Theorem states that there will always be absolute extrema in a closed interval, and since absolute extrema are also considered relative extrema, this leads to a contradiction. Ultimately, it is important to understand and clarify how an author is defining relative extrema in order to properly apply the concept.
Jazz
I've been watching the Khanacademy videos on Calculus and in this video, at 4:18:

He talks about relative minima and maxima in an interval. He says that the relative extrema can't be at the endpoints.

As far as I understand, in that case the interval would have to be an open one, but my question is what is the problem in having a closed interval and hence allowing them (to the relative extrema) to be at the endpoints?

By having a closed interval:

1) I can ''define'' the absolute extrema in it, since we don't care about what is happening outside that interval.
2) The absolute extrema can be at the endpoints.

Why do we care about what is happening outside an interval when finding relative extrema?

Surely I'm misunderstanding something.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jazz said:
I've been watching the Khanacademy videos on Calculus and in this video, at 4:18:

He talks about relative minima and maxima in an interval. He says that the relative extrema can't be at the endpoints.

As far as I understand, in that case the interval would have to be an open one, but my question is what is the problem in having a closed interval and hence allowing them (to the relative extrema) to be at the endpoints?

By having a closed interval:

1) I can ''define'' the absolute extrema in it, since we don't care about what is happening outside that interval.
2) The absolute extrema can be at the endpoints.

Why do we care about what is happening outside an interval when finding relative extrema?

Surely I'm misunderstanding something.

I briefly watched the video and what I think he is saying is:

The derivative is 0 at a maximum or minimum - unless the maximum or minimum is at an end-point (in which case the derivative may not be 0 there).

He's not saying that you can't have a maximum or minimum at an end-point.

Jazz said:

I watched the whole thing and, no, he doesn't say that! He says that he is only talking about those relative extrema that are not endpoints. He is NOT saying that endpoints cannot be relative extrema only that what he is saying in this particular video does not deal with them.

Thank you, @PeroK and @HallsofIvy , for answering.

Then I've translated that in my head in the wrong way. But I'm still confused.

I'm confused about the definition of Relative Extrema. Let write the definition of relative maximum in order to ejemplify what is bugging me:

##f(c)## is a relative maximum of ##c## if there exists an interval ##(a, b)## containing ##c## such that ##f(c) \geq f(x)## for all ##x## in ##(a, b)##.

Why can't it be an interval ##[a, b]##?Trying to see the light I found this:
There is actually some debate on the preceding point. Some folks do feel that relative extrema can occur on the end points of a domain. However, in this class we will be using the definition that says that they can’t occur at the end points of a domain.

Source: http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/MinMaxValues.aspx#EVT

Which agrees with the definition above but I can't understand why.

Jazz said:
Thank you, @PeroK and @HallsofIvy , for answering.

Then I've translated that in my head in the wrong way. But I'm still confused.

I'm confused about the definition of Relative Extrema. Let write the definition of relative maximum in order to ejemplify what is bugging me:

Why can't it be an interval ##[a, b]##?

Trying to see the light I found this:

Which agrees with the definition above but I can't understand why.

Okay, it looks like some people define relative extrema so that they can't be end-points. But, their definition of absolute extrema does admit end-points. I'm not sure why you would do this. So, if f is defined on [a, b], then f can have absolute extrema at a and/or b, but not relative extrema.

I would define relative extrema differently so that end-points can be (and usually are) relative extrema. And, any absolute extremum is also a local extremum. But, I guess, there may be reasons to do things differently.

The lesson is that you have to take care with how a particular author is defining things.

What the author is trying to do is ensure that f is defined on an open interval containing c (for c to be a local extremum). And, thus exclude the end-points. This all gets a bit messy if you ask me. I would tend to say simply that ##c \ne a \ or \ b## if you want to exclude the end-points.

PeroK said:
Okay, it looks like some people define relative extrema so that they can't be end-points. But, their definition of absolute extrema does admit end-points. I'm not sure why you would do this. So, if f is defined on [a, b], then f can have absolute extrema at a and/or b, but not relative extrema.

I would define relative extrema differently so that end-points can be (and usually are) relative extrema. And, any absolute extremum is also a local extremum. But, I guess, there may be reasons to do things differently.

The lesson is that you have to take care with how a particular author is defining things.

What the author is trying to do is ensure that f is defined on an open interval containing c (for c to be a local extremum). And, thus exclude the end-points. This all gets a bit messy if you ask me. I would tend to say simply that ##c \ne a \ or \ b## if you want to exclude the end-points.

That was confusing me :).

If I have a closed interval of a continuous function, by the Extreme Value Theorem I know there will be absolute extrema in that domain. And since I'm including the endpoints, those can be absolute extrema too. But since absolute extrema are also considered relatives ones, then the endpoints can be relative extrema, and hence can have a closed interval (well, that's is what I think because in that case I'm allowed to test the endpoints with the derivative).

In the function ##\sin((x + \frac{1}{25})\pi) + \cos(3(x + \frac{1}{25})\pi)## below I have the closed interval ##[0, 1.28]## where I can find endpoints that are relative extrema:

Relative_Min_Max.jpg

I don't see anything illegal there :)

Last edited:
Jazz said:
That was confusing me :).

If I have a closed interval of a continuous function, by the Extreme Value Theorem I know there will be absolute extrema in that domain. And since I'm including the endpoints, those can be absolute extrema too. But since absolute extrema are also considered relatives ones, then the endpoints can be relative extrema, and hence can have a closed interval (well, that's is what I think because in that case I'm allowed to test the endpoints with the derivative).
I don't see anything illegal there :)

There are some subtleties here that you need to be aware of.

a) A function defined on a closed interval is, by definition, not differentiable at the end-points.

b) The function needs to be extended beyond the end-points in order to be differentiatable at those points.

c) If an end-point is an extremum, the derivative (of the extended function) may not be 0. Consider f(x) = x defined on [0, 1]

d) Note that the following two functions are not the same:

##f_1:\mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R} \ \ where \ \ f_1(x) = sin(x)##

##f_2:[0, \pi] \rightarrow \mathbb{R} \ \ where \ \ f_2(x) = sin(x)##

The former is differentiable everywhere. The latter is differentiable on ##(0, \pi)##

I would say that ##f_2## has absolute/local minima at 0 and ##\pi##. The alternative definition you found would say that ##f_2## has absolute minima at 0 and ##\pi## but these are not local minima.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
a) A function defined on a closed interval is, by definition, not differentiable at the end-points.

And so the fact that the endpoints can be absolute extrema is other matter, right? (I think I got confused because of the Closed Interval Method. I can see that in the process followed in finding the absolute extrema of a closed interval I never evaluated the derivative at the endpoints |: ).

PeroK said:
b) The function needs to be extended beyond the end-points in order to be differentiatable at those points.

Yep. Now it makes sense to me (it's differentiable if I can differentiate it coming from the left and the right).

Finally, I think I'm beginning to understand this.

Thank you.

1. What is the difference between relative extrema and intervals?

Relative extrema refer to the highest and lowest points on a graph of a function, while intervals refer to the range of x-values where the function is increasing or decreasing. Essentially, relative extrema are specific points on the graph, while intervals are a range of values.

2. How do I determine the relative extrema of a function?

To determine the relative extrema of a function, you must first find the critical points by setting the derivative of the function equal to 0. Then, use the first or second derivative test to determine if the critical point is a relative maximum or minimum.

3. Can a function have more than one relative extremum?

Yes, a function can have multiple relative extrema. This can occur when the function has multiple peaks and valleys on its graph. It is important to note that not all critical points are necessarily relative extrema.

4. How do I find the intervals where a function is increasing or decreasing?

To find the intervals of increase or decrease, you must first find the critical points of the function. Then, plug in values from each interval into the original function to determine if the function is increasing or decreasing in that interval.

5. What is the significance of identifying relative extrema and intervals?

Identifying relative extrema and intervals can help us understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its graph. It can also help us find the maximum and minimum values of a function, which can be useful in real-world applications such as optimization problems.