How Quickly Can a Conical Spring Expand from Compressed to Free Length?

In summary: And you want it to take longer than that? (>)I am really sorry but I put the decimal place incorrectly in my first post. Should be 0.02 seconds = 20 millisecondsIn summary, this conical spring must open from its compressed pancake height of its wire diameter to a free length of 11.20 mm in 0.20 seconds or longer.
mhalc
TL;DR Summary
How to determine the coil speed of a conical telescopic spring from its fully compressed height i.e. its spring wire dia to its free length.
I require a small conical spring to open from its compressed pancake height of its wire diameter to a free length of 11mm > 0.2 seconds (20 milliseconds)

The large end outer diameter = 7.80mm.
The small end inner diameter must be greater than or equal to 2.75mm.
The conical's spring's will be stored at a height = 5.5mm.
The conical spring will be subject to a set back force of at least 106N for 0.0005 seconds, which will cause the concial spring to pancake.
After pancaking the conical spring must achieve a working free length of 11.20mm.
The conical spring will need to move a mass of 5gms to get to its working free length.
Wire diameter and wire material are to be determined.

I require the conical spring to open from its solid height (wire diameter) to its free length of 11.20 mm in 0.20 seconds or longer.

Can anybody help with the maths please as this is way beyond my knowledge base?

I have attached a draft drawing of a potential conical spring design, which has spring material and wire diameter.

Please note that a similar request was made by a member in 2014 - see post - https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-fast-coil-springs-are-greatest-mystery-today.752813/

Attachments

• F12 CONICAL - JB SPRINGS Design 2019-05-01.pdf
    213.3 KB · Views: 277
Engineering news on Phys.org
mhalc said:
Summary:: How to determine the coil speed of a conical telescopic spring from its fully compressed height i.e. its spring wire dia to its free length.

to a free length of 11mm > 0.2 seconds (20 milliseconds)
0.2s = 200ms.

And you want it to take longer than that? (>)

berkeman said:
0.2s = 200ms.

Anything that is greater than 200ms would work.

berkeman said:
0.2s = 200ms.

I am really sorry but I put the decimal place incorrectly in my first post.
Should be 0.02 seconds = 20 milliseconds

mhalc said:
Summary:: How to determine the coil speed of a conical telescopic spring from its fully compressed height i.e. its spring wire dia to its free length.

After pancaking the conical spring must achieve a working free length of 11.20mm.
The conical spring will need to move a mass of 5gms to get to its working free length.
mhalc said:
Should be 0.02 seconds = 20 milliseconds
So you are worried that the extension time will be too quick? 20ms is a pretty short time...

Can you say what the application is? Does the 5g mass get launched by the helical spring, or is it attached to the end of the spring, or is it constrained to stop at the 11mm distance?

Here is a useful paper about springs, where they show an equation that you can use for the spring force as a function of extension for a conical spring:

http://www.faculty.fairfield.edu/wdornfeld/ME311/AssocSpringBarnes-SpringDesignHandbook.pdf

1589218149031.png

I also found that there are Conical Spring Force Calculators with a Google search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=con...mg&ei=KIm5Xve6PNO0-gSsh7qQCQ&bih=540&biw=1110

1589218255315.png

Thank you for your reply and the links provided.

The extension time of the conical spring is critical to the application that the spring is working in.

The conical spring's large OD sits in a spring tube. When the spring is released the spring enables the spring tube to rotate and move a 5 gm component. The 5 gm component is not launched - it is just rotated 45 degrees.
The spring tube that the conical spring sits in only allows a max 11.20 free length - so the conical spring is constrained so that it can only achieve an 11.20 free length.
In its storage position the conical spring length is 5.50mm; under 106N set back force the conical spring pancakes to its solid height i.e. wire diameter, and then expands to 11.20 mm.

Thank you for your help

What do you estimate the mass of the spring to be?

• Informative
Likes berkeman
The mass of the spring is estimated at 0.169 gms

mhalc said:
The mass of the spring is estimated at 0.169 gms
This means that the mass of the spring is negligible compared to the 5 gm mass that is being accelerated. So the spring can be treated as massless. That makes things much easier.

You need to determine the force-displacement equation for your conical spring. That may be available analytically from the references @berkeman provided or from a more detailed (fairly complicated, in my judgment) stress/strain analysis requiring an expert consultant. Have you made a prototype and measured its force-displacement relationship?

We have made 20 prototypes

See attached spec sheet from the manufacturer of the 20 prototypes

Does this help you?

Attachments

• JB Springs Inspection Report - 0.315mm dia Conical Spring dimensions 2019-05-01.pdf
    86.4 KB · Views: 134
Yes. The 0.12 N/mm will accelerate your 0.005 kg like crazy. You need damping.

Last edited:
Thank you

BvU said:
Yes. The 0.12 N/mm will accelerate your 0.005 kg like crazy. You need damping.
Or use a flimsier spring.

Will the spring always be operated with axis vertical?
Will the base be steady with only low amplitude vibration?

Baluncore said:
My understanding was that there is not going to be vibration. I thought it was just that the 5 gm mass was being launched.

Baluncore said:
Yes and Yes

Chestermiller said:
I thought it was just that the 5 gm mass was being launched.
11 mm in 0.2 seconds will lift, but not launch. Does the mass remain attached to, or in contact with the spring?

The spring will need to be submerged in a viscous oil to delay the response.

mhalc said:
We have made 20 prototypes
Cool. Can you post your test data with your prototypes? That will probably save everybody a lot of time... :wink:

Thank you for your reply. I have already posted the prototype spring test data in an earlier post
I have not been able to find any company that is able to measure the time that the conical spring takes to open from its solid height to its free length.

Baluncore said:
11 mm in 0.2 seconds will lift, but not launch. Does the mass remain attached to, or in contact with the spring?

The spring will need to be submerged in a viscous oil to delay the response.
The 5gm mass remains in contact with a spring tube that encloses the conical spring
I will not be able to use viscous oil as this would contaminate other components in the assembled product

mhalc said:
I require a small conical spring to open from its compressed pancake height of its wire diameter to a free length of 11mm > 0.2 seconds (20 milliseconds)

mhalc said:
I have not been able to find any company that is able to measure the time that the conical spring takes to open from its solid height to its free length.

Most modern cell phones have "sport mode" video, which is 120 frames per second. That's 8 milliseconds per frame. Take a video, download the video to your computer, then step through the video frame by frame. That's for a move on the order of 20 msec. If you need 200 msec, then normal 30 frames / sec video will do the job.

1. What is a conical spring coil speed?

A conical spring coil speed refers to the rate at which a conical spring compresses or extends when a force is applied to it. It is typically measured in units of inches per pound or millimeters per newton.

2. How is the speed of a conical spring coil determined?

The speed of a conical spring coil is determined by its material, dimensions, and design. Factors such as the number of coils, wire diameter, and pitch all affect the speed at which the spring will compress or extend.

3. Can the speed of a conical spring coil be adjusted?

Yes, the speed of a conical spring coil can be adjusted by changing the dimensions or material of the spring. For example, increasing the wire diameter or decreasing the number of coils will result in a slower speed, while decreasing the wire diameter or increasing the number of coils will result in a faster speed.

4. What are the applications of conical spring coil speed?

Conical spring coil speed is important in various industries, including automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing. It is used in suspension systems, shock absorbers, valves, and other mechanical components that require controlled and precise movement.

5. How can the speed of a conical spring coil affect its performance?

The speed of a conical spring coil can greatly affect its performance. If the speed is too slow, the spring may not be able to provide enough force to support the load. On the other hand, if the speed is too fast, the spring may become unstable and fail to function properly. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the speed when designing and selecting a conical spring coil for a specific application.