Conjugation , involving operators in Dirac Notation.

In summary: I wasn't sure if you were saying that you could never get a 2 x m bra with m x 2 row, or that for a given pair there will always be a 1 row matrix with n elements along with a 1 column matrix with n elements.
Somali_Physicist
In a PDF i was looking through i came about a question
for the operator P = |a><b|
find Px(adjoint)

the adjoint was defined as
<v|Px|u> = (<u|P|v>)* where u and v can be any bra and ket

now for the question:
(<u|a><b|v>)* = <v|Px|u>
this is the confusing step , i thought conjugated simply changed the bras and kets to the pair
e.g for (<a|c><d|b>)* = <c|a><b|d>
however the pdf states:
(<u|a><b|v>)* = <v|b><a|u>
hence the Px = |b><a|

I don't understand this , flipping it will confuse me for say 3 pairs.Does anyone have an explanation for this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Somali_Physicist said:
In a PDF i was looking through i came about a question
for the operator P = |a><b|
find Px(adjoint)

the adjoint was defined as
<v|Px|u> = (<u|P|v>)* where u and v can be any bra and ket

now for the question:
(<u|a><b|v>)* = <v|Px|u>
this is the confusing step , i thought conjugated simply changed the bras and kets to the pair
e.g for (<a|c><d|b>)* = <c|a><b|d>
however the pdf states:
(<u|a><b|v>)* = <v|b><a|u>
hence the Px = |b><a|

I don't understand this , flipping it will confuse me for say 3 pairs.Does anyone have an explanation for this.
'

I'm not sure what your point of confusion is.

1. ##\langle v|P^\dagger|u\rangle = (\langle u|P|v\rangle)^*##: That's just the definition of ##P^\dagger## (I think ##P^\dagger## is used more often than ##P^x##)
  2. ##= (\langle u|a\rangle \langle b|v\rangle)^*##: That's just using the definition of ##P##.
  3. ##= (\langle u|a\rangle)^* (\langle b|v\rangle)^*##: That's just using the fact that the complex conjugate of a product is just the product of the complex conjugates.
  4. ## = \langle a|u\rangle \langle v|b\rangle##: That's just using the fact that for matrix elements, ##\langle A|B\rangle^* = \langle B | A \rangle##.
  5. ## = \langle v | b \rangle \langle a | u \rangle##: Since matrix elements are just numbers, you can change the order in a product.
So we've shown that ##\langle v | P^\dagger | u \rangle = \langle v | b \rangle \langle a | u \rangle##

Likes Somali_Physicist
stevendaryl said:
'

I'm not sure what your point of confusion is.

1. ##\langle v|P^\dagger|u\rangle = (\langle u|P|v\rangle)^*##: That's just the definition of ##P^\dagger## (I think ##P^\dagger## is used more often than ##P^x##)
  2. ##= (\langle u|a\rangle \langle b|v\rangle)^*##: That's just using the definition of ##P##.
  3. ##= (\langle u|a\rangle)^* (\langle b|v\rangle)^*##: That's just using the fact that the complex conjugate of a product is just the product of the complex conjugates.
  4. ## = \langle a|u\rangle \langle v|b\rangle##: That's just using the fact that for matrix elements, ##\langle A|B\rangle^* = \langle B | A \rangle##.
  5. ## = \langle v | b \rangle \langle a | u \rangle##: Since matrix elements are just numbers, you can change the order in a product.
So we've shown that ##\langle v | P^\dagger | u \rangle = \langle v | b \rangle \langle a | u \rangle##
Hmm step 4 to 5 got me
for ## \langle a|u\rangle \langle v|b\rangle##:
couldnt ## \langle a|u\rangle## give you a matrix and hence you can't simply change the product around?

Somali_Physicist said:
Hmm step 4 to 5 got me
for ## \langle a|u\rangle \langle v|b\rangle##:
couldnt ## \langle a|u\rangle## give you a matrix and hence you can't simply change the product around?
## \langle a|u\rangle## is a number, one that is equal to ## \langle u|a \rangle^*##

Likes Somali_Physicist
Nugatory said:
## \langle a|u\rangle## is a number, one that is equal to ## \langle u|a \rangle^*##
So you can never get a 2 x m bra with m x 2 row?
Implying that for a given pair there will always be a 1 row matrix with n elements along with a 1 column matrix with n elements.

If that's the case then it makes sense!

1. What is conjugation in Dirac notation?

Conjugation in Dirac notation is a mathematical operation used to represent the complex conjugate of a quantum state. It involves taking the Hermitian conjugate of the state by reversing the order of the terms and changing the sign of any imaginary coefficients.

2. Why is conjugation important in quantum mechanics?

Conjugation is important in quantum mechanics because it allows for the representation of complex numbers and operators in a simple and compact notation. It is also a fundamental part of calculating probabilities and expectation values in quantum mechanics.

3. How is conjugation related to operators in Dirac notation?

In Dirac notation, operators are represented by a combination of kets and bras. Conjugation of an operator involves taking the Hermitian conjugate of each individual term in the operator and rearranging them in the opposite order. This is important for calculating expectation values and other properties of quantum systems.

4. What is the difference between conjugation and adjoint in Dirac notation?

Conjugation and adjoint are two different operations in Dirac notation. Conjugation involves taking the Hermitian conjugate of a state or operator, while the adjoint operation involves taking the complex conjugate of a state or operator. In other words, conjugation changes the order of terms and the sign of imaginary coefficients, while the adjoint only changes the sign of imaginary coefficients.

5. Can conjugation be applied to all operators in Dirac notation?

No, not all operators in Dirac notation can be conjugated. Only Hermitian operators, which have the property that their adjoint is equal to themselves, can be conjugated. Non-Hermitian operators cannot be conjugated and require a different mathematical treatment.