Connected Papers: a visual tool to find and explore academic papers

In summary, Connected Papers is a tool that helps researchers find and explore academic papers. It has partnered with arXiv.org and from now on every paper page in arXiv will link to a corresponding Connected Papers graph.
Discordy
Hi everyone!
We launched Connected Papers 7 months ago, with the goal to help researchers visually find and explore academic papers.

Input: a paper of your liking.
Output: a full interactive graph of similar papers to explore.

For example, here is the graph for The Coevolution of Galaxies and Supermassive Black Holes Insights from Surveys of the Contemporary Universe:

79rnilr0qhf61.png

Since launch we've been positively overwhelmed with feedback from the scientific community and half a million researchers using the tool.

Today is a big milestone for us - we have partnered with arXiv.org and from now on every paper page in arXiv will link to a corresponding Connected Papers graph.

It looks like this:

1cbku5caqhf61.png

We hope Connected Papers will now be even more helpful and accessible to Physics researchers and we invite you to try us out!

Welcoming questions and comments!

Likes PhDeezNutz, robphy, BWV and 6 others
Physics news on Phys.org
This is pretty cool search resource. At a glance you can see the impact of any paper.

Is there any plans to extend this tool to patents and industry paper repositories like the IEEE ?

Hi, thank you for the kind words.
We currently support all papers that are in the Semantic Scholar and Microsoft Academic Graph databases. I am not sure if that includes all papers from IEEE. We do have various plans for extending the service, though it's important to note that for example patent citation patterns are very different from academic papers, so the translation would not be trivial.

I tried my IEEE paper circa 1987 and no luck so I figured they weren’t available or just too old.

What are the oldest papers you index? Could I retrieve say early 1900’s doctoral theses from Einstein or Heisenberg or Dirac? or ones from Wheelers grad students like Hugh Everett?

Too bad the site displays a blank screen on my old browser, Firefox 43.0.1.

Fortunately an experimental browser that is not supported (MyPal 28.13.0) at least displays the interface and allowed a link to PubMed.

When asked to build a graph, your site brought up a screen to "Choose a paper to build a graph:" I selected (clicked on) a paper but nothing happened.

I realize I'm using old technology; It's just a shame that a potentially useful site such as 'connectedpapers' has locked out those 'heavily experienced' folks that for various (sometimes valid) reasons are not using the 'latest-and-(supposedly)greatest.'

I still wish you much success, your site looks like a valuable contribution to the art.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes PhDeezNutz
Sadly, @Tom.G you can't hang onto old technology, you must move with the times or be left behind.

The most recent change has been the discontinuation of Adobe Flash because of its many vulnerabilities exploited by bad actors. Adobe has notified the internet world that it is officially dead.

https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html

Likes PhDeezNutz and Vanadium 50
This is quite impressive and useful. Thank you for taking the time and the initiative to develop such a tool.

1. What is Connected Papers?

Connected Papers is a visual tool designed to help researchers and academics find and explore academic papers related to a specific topic. It uses citation networks to create a visual map of how papers are connected, making it easier to navigate through related literature.

2. How does Connected Papers work?

Connected Papers uses data from citation networks to create a visual map of related papers. It analyzes the citations and references of a given paper and displays them in a visual graph, with each node representing a paper and the connections representing the citations and references between them.

3. What are the benefits of using Connected Papers?

Connected Papers can save researchers and academics time and effort in finding relevant papers for their research. It can also help them discover new connections and relationships between papers, leading to new insights and ideas. Additionally, it can assist in identifying key papers and authors in a particular field.

4. Is Connected Papers free to use?

Yes, Connected Papers is completely free to use. It is an open-source project and does not require any registration or payment to access its features.

5. Can Connected Papers be used for any subject or discipline?

Yes, Connected Papers can be used for any subject or discipline as long as there is a significant amount of literature available with citations and references. It is particularly useful for interdisciplinary research where there may be a wide range of related papers from different fields.