Connected system of a bullet and a block

In summary, this task from my textbook does not provide us with an answer. Can someone double check, please?
vxr
Homework Statement
A bullet of mass ##m = 0.1 kg## embeds itself in a block of mass ##M = 10kg##, which is attached to a spring of elastic force constant ##k = 10 \frac{N}{m}##. If the initial velocity of bullet is ##v_{0} = 1 \frac{m}{s}##, determine the maximum compression of a spring ##x## and the time ##t## for which the bullet-block system comes to rest
Relevant Equations
I believe these can be useful: ##F = -kx, \quad U = \frac{kx^2}{2}, \quad E_{k_{0}} = \frac{(m+M)v_{0}^2}{2}##
This is task from my textbook and it does not provide us with an answer. So I cannot verify if I did mistake. Can someone double check, please? My solution:

##E_{k_{0}} = \frac{(m+M)v_{0}^2}{2} \quad \land \quad U = \frac{kx^2}{2}##

##E_{k_{0}} = U##

##\Longrightarrow (m+M)v_{0}^2 = kx^2##

##x = \sqrt{\frac{(m+M)v_{0}^2}{k}} = \sqrt{\frac{m + M}{k}} |v_{0}|## (the result is positive, should it be positive?)

--

and now the ##t##:

##F = -kx##

##ma = -kx##

##a = -\frac{kx}{m}##

##\frac{\Delta v}{t} = - \frac{kx}{m}##

##\frac{-v_{0}}{t} = - \frac{kx}{m}##

##t = \frac{mv_{0}}{kx}## (plug in calculated x from above equation here)

Not sure if this result is good and if in the time equation the ##m## should be ##m##, ##M## or ##(m + M)##.

Help is appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
vxr said:
##E_{k_{0}} = U##
What makes you think this applies ?
Also, initially the block is at rest, so why give it kinetic energy corresponding to ##v_0## ?

No idea. I have just assumed that it indeed does apply here. Can I get any advice how should I find the ##x##?

embeds itself in a block
is a characteristic of a fully inelastic collision
Kinetic energy is not conserved. What is ?

Likes vxr
Momentum of the system?

vxr said:
Momentum of the system?
Yes. The typical assumption is that a collision is brief enough that any other external forces during the collision produce negligible changes in momentum.

Given that momentum is conserved for the collision event, what can you calculate next?

Well, if momentum is conserved, then I assume:

Bullet's momentum:

##p_{1} = mv_{0}##

Resting block's momentum:

##p_{2} = 0##

Connected system's initial momentum:

##p = p_{1} + p_{2}##

##(m+M)v = mv_{0}##

##v = \frac{mv_{0}}{m+M}##

But what I need to find is ##x## and ##t##.

So if I know the ##v##, I can use the equation

##E_{k} = U## now and find ##x##? Or this equation still does not apply? If not, then how can I find ##x##?

Also what about my calculation of ##t##, is it correct (assuming that I plug in proper ##x## value in there)?

Thank you!

vxr said:
Well, if momentum is conserved, then I assume:

Bullet's momentum:

##p_{1} = mv_{0}##

Resting block's momentum:

##p_{2} = 0##

Connected system's initial momentum:

##p = p_{1} + p_{2}##

##(m+M)v = mv_{0}##

##v = \frac{mv_{0}}{m+M}##
Very nice.
So if I know the ##v##, I can use the equation

##E_{k} = U## now and find ##x##?
Bingo. With the collision over, there are no further energy losses to worry about. Conservation of energy can get you the displacement.
Also what about my calculation of ##t##, is it correct (assuming that I plug in proper ##x## value in there)?
It looks like your calculation of t assumes constant acceleration. I think that you need a different approach. Have you studied simple harmonic motion?

It could be tempting to guess that average acceleration is given by half the maximum acceleration. But that approach would be flawed. You would be effectively using a distance-weighted average. You need a time-weighted average if you are planning to divide velocity by average acceleration to yield time.

1. What is a connected system of a bullet and a block?

A connected system of a bullet and a block refers to the physical interaction between a bullet and a stationary or moving block. This system is often used in physics demonstrations to study the principles of momentum, energy, and collisions.

2. How does a bullet affect the block in a connected system?

In a connected system, when a bullet strikes a stationary block, it transfers its momentum and energy to the block, causing it to move. The amount of movement of the block depends on the mass and velocity of the bullet, as well as the mass of the block.

3. What happens when a bullet strikes a moving block in a connected system?

When a bullet strikes a moving block, the momentum and energy of the bullet are added to the momentum and energy of the block. This results in a change in the velocity and direction of the block's motion. The final velocity and direction of the block can be calculated using the principles of conservation of momentum and energy.

4. How do you calculate the velocity of a bullet in a connected system?

The velocity of a bullet in a connected system can be calculated using the equation v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity of the bullet, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the block. This assumes that all of the bullet's energy is transferred to the block upon impact.

5. What factors can affect the outcome of a connected system experiment?

The outcome of a connected system experiment can be affected by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the bullet, the mass and velocity of the block, the type of material used for the block, and any external forces acting on the system, such as friction. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurements and the precision of the experimental setup can also impact the results.