Connected the capacitor to a DC power supply

In summary, the conversation discusses a situation where a capacitor was accidentally connected to a DC power supply in the wrong way and popped. The lecturer explains that this happens because the current is only allowed to flow in one direction. The question is then raised about why the capacitor does not pop with an AC power supply. It is clarified that the capacitor does indeed pop with an AC power supply, but the question is why. The answer is that the thickness of the oxide films on the plates inside the capacitor is different, causing the capacitor to break down and potentially be dangerous.
unseensoul
A few days ago, I was in the lab doing some experiments with capacitors and something weird happened...

I connected the capacitor to a DC power supply and after a few seconds the capacitor has popped. The voltage applied to it was within its working voltage, so that was not the cause. My lecturer then told me that I connected the leads to the capacitor the other way round and he was right. Then I asked him the following question in which he was unable to answer it...

If I have a DC power supply and connect the leads to the capacitor in the wrong way, it will pop! This means that the current is only allowed to flow in one direction... So why don't they pop with an AC power supply?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What make you think they don't?

Probably, they do, but that's not my question...

unseensoul said:
So why don't they pop with an AC power supply?

unseensoul said:
Probably, they do, but that's not my question...

Only question I see. Your proceeding statement is correct.
Perhaps you can clarify what your question is then.

Edit: Ok, Not thinking. Charge can move into and out of the cap as long as the voltage polarity remains the same.
So your proceeding statement is not quite correct.

Last edited:
I would assume that the capacitor to which you refer is an electrolytic...

Aluminium Electrolytic capacitors rely on the thickness of a film of oxide formed on the plates inside the capacitor.

Unless the electrolytic is a reversible type, the thickness of the oxide films on the positive & negative films is different.

Therefore, when the capacitor is reversed, the thinner film breaks down, large currents flow & the electrolyte heats up.

Then the can pops.

This is dangerous... the bigger the capacitor, the more dangerous it is...

Related to Connected the capacitor to a DC power supply

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores and releases electrical energy. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric.

2. How do capacitors work?

When connected to a DC power supply, a capacitor charges up by accumulating electrons on one plate and removing them from the other. This creates an electric field between the plates, allowing the capacitor to store energy. When the power supply is disconnected, the capacitor releases the stored energy.

3. Why would you connect a capacitor to a DC power supply?

Capacitors are often connected to DC power supplies in electronic circuits to filter out unwanted signals or to provide a temporary power source for certain components. They can also be used to regulate voltage levels and improve the efficiency of power supplies.

4. How do you connect a capacitor to a DC power supply?

To connect a capacitor to a DC power supply, you would need to identify the positive and negative terminals on both the power supply and the capacitor. The positive terminal of the capacitor should be connected to the positive terminal of the power supply, and the negative terminal of the capacitor should be connected to the negative terminal of the power supply.

5. Are there any precautions to take when connecting a capacitor to a DC power supply?

Yes, there are a few precautions to keep in mind when connecting a capacitor to a DC power supply. It is important to choose a capacitor with the appropriate voltage rating for the power supply to avoid damage. Additionally, capacitors can store a charge even after the power supply is disconnected, so it is important to discharge them before handling them. Finally, make sure to observe the correct polarity when connecting the capacitor to the power supply to prevent any malfunctions.