Connecting a new cable - different wire gauge

In summary, the conversation discusses modifying AC Mains wiring in Europe by cutting a cable and creating a junction box to connect another cable for an additional outlet. The existing cable has 5 wires, 2 live, 2 neutral, and 1 ground, and is connected to a 25A circuit breaker. The individual seeking advice is unsure about how to connect the new cable and asks if they should replicate the same connection or use a 16A circuit breaker. They are advised to follow local regulations and obtain necessary permits before making any modifications. The thread is temporarily locked until the individual provides copies of their building permit application for review.
timthetoolman
TL;DR Summary
Cut a cable that has 2 wires connected as a single thicker wire and connect another regular one
Hi.
(not a native English speaker, so apologies in advance for inadequate techical terms)
220V AC, Europe.
There is a cable with 5 wires (2.5mm2 crosssection each) that I would like to cut and make a junction box in the attic to connect another cable to it, to get another outlet. The wires are connected so two of them are live under 25A circuit breaker, two of them are neutral and the fifth is ground. This is an existing feed to the garage that needed more capacity and replacing the whole cable would be a terrible ordeal. There is a separate grounding rod at the cable's destination, so no worries there.
Anyway, when I connect the new cable in the junction box, do i:

a) replicate the same connection, i.e. connect the new cable with 5 wires x 2.5mm2, 2 to the 2 live ones, 2 to neutrals and one grounding

OR

b) take the 3 x 2.5mm2 cable, put a 16A CB and connect one wire to one of the live ones (or both?), same for neutral?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Tim.

In the US, and I think in Europe also, we have local regulations about how AC Mains wiring can be used. And when we as homeowners want to modifiy the already-approved wiring in our homes, we need to file for permits and have before/after inspections by the local building departments on our modifications.

This thread is locked temporarily. Please send me copies of your building permit application for the modifications via PM (click on my avatar and Start a Conversation), so I can re-open your thread. Thanks.

1. What is wire gauge and why is it important when connecting a new cable?

Wire gauge is a measurement of the diameter of a wire. It is important when connecting a new cable because it determines how much current the wire can safely handle. Using the wrong wire gauge can result in overheating and potential fire hazards.

2. How do I determine the correct wire gauge for my new cable?

The correct wire gauge for your new cable depends on the amount of current that will be flowing through it. You can use a wire gauge calculator or consult an electrician for assistance in determining the appropriate gauge.

3. Can I use a thicker wire gauge than what is recommended?

It is generally safe to use a thicker wire gauge than what is recommended. However, using a thicker wire gauge may result in higher costs and may not provide any additional benefits if the current flowing through the wire is not high enough to require it.

4. What are the risks of using a thinner wire gauge than what is recommended?

Using a thinner wire gauge than what is recommended can result in overheating and potential fire hazards. It can also cause the wire to become damaged or fail, leading to loss of power or other issues.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when connecting a new cable with a different wire gauge?

Yes, it is important to always turn off the power before connecting a new cable. Additionally, make sure to use wire strippers to properly strip the ends of the wire and ensure a secure connection. It is also recommended to double check the wire gauge before connecting to ensure it is the correct one.