Connecting a step-up transformer backward

• Thread starter Alameda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transformer
In summary, a step-up transformer wired backward will generate a large output voltage because the inner coil has a less number of terms.
Alameda
Homework Statement
Suppose the inner and outer solenoids are used as the primary and secondary coils respectively, and the inner solenoid is connected to the Output Ports of the signal generator on 850 interface as shown in figure 2. If the signal amplitude from the signal generator on 850 interface is set to 10V, the 850 interface will be crashed. Why? (hint: resistances of inner is 0.2 and outer is 77 ohms)
Relevant Equations
Vp> Vs step up transformer
Vs
I deduced that this is a step-up transformer wired backward because of the number of turns in each coil. The inner coil has a less number of terms and by the problem's wording, the inner coil is the primary coil. I'm not sure what would actually happen, a hypothesis (that I am not confident on) would be that the current, which is proportional to the resistance of each coil, needs more current when traveling from the outer coil to the inner coil?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vs< Vp step down transformer

Alameda said:
Homework Statement:: Suppose the inner and outer solenoids are used as the primary and secondary coils respectively, and the inner solenoid is connected to the Output Ports of the signal generator on 850 interface as shown in figure 2. If the signal amplitude from the signal generator on 850 interface is set to 10V, the 850 interface will be crashed. Why? (hint: resistances of inner is 0.2 and outer is 77 ohms)
Relevant Equations:: Vp> Vs step up transformer
Vs

I deduced that this is a step-up transformer wired backward because of the number of turns in each coil. The inner coil has a less number of terms and by the problem's wording, the inner coil is the primary coil. I'm not sure what would actually happen, a hypothesis (that I am not confident on) would be that the current, which is proportional to the resistance of each coil, needs more current when traveling from the outer coil to the inner coil?
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

Is there a drawing that goes with this question? It's difficult for me to decode what is being hooked to what, especially if the problem says that the signal generator will be damaged. The signal generator is driving one coil of a transformer, and the other coil is open-circuited?

You can use the "Attach files" link at the bottom of the Edit window to upload a JPEG or PDF image of the problem diagram...

All that was given was this, there is an inner coil and an outer coil. I got the machine picture to make things more clear.

Attachments

• md_SSDIAqZYCX61.jpg
    md_SSDIAqZYCX61.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Apparatus.PNG
    Apparatus.PNG
    76.4 KB · Views: 97
the inner coil goes into the outer coil, in the apparatus you can only see the outer coil because the inner coil is inside

Ah, I understand now. Yeah, if you put 10Vpp into the smaller coil, the step-up-effect will generate a large output voltage. It sounds like you are using the same instrument to drive one coil and observe the other coil, right?

If the same (gauge) wire is used to wind the primary and secondary coils, you can estimate the ratio ##\frac{N_p}{N_s}## from the two resistances, which you are given. Can you say why that is true?

https://circuitglobe.com/step-up-and-step-down-transformers.html

1602880291766.png

1. What is a step-up transformer?

A step-up transformer is an electrical device that increases the voltage level of an alternating current (AC) electrical signal. It consists of two or more coils of wire, known as the primary and secondary windings, that are wrapped around a common iron core.

2. Can a step-up transformer be connected backward?

Yes, a step-up transformer can be connected backward, but it is not recommended. This means that the primary and secondary windings are reversed, resulting in a decrease in voltage instead of an increase. This can cause damage to the transformer and other electrical equipment connected to it.

3. What happens when a step-up transformer is connected backward?

When a step-up transformer is connected backward, the voltage will be reduced instead of increased. This can cause a decrease in power and may also lead to overheating and damage to the transformer and other connected devices.

4. How can I tell if a step-up transformer is connected backward?

You can tell if a step-up transformer is connected backward by measuring the voltage at the primary and secondary windings. If the voltage at the secondary winding is lower than the voltage at the primary winding, then the transformer is connected backward.

5. What are the potential risks of connecting a step-up transformer backward?

The potential risks of connecting a step-up transformer backward include damage to the transformer and other connected electrical equipment, a decrease in power and voltage, and the risk of overheating and electrical fires. It is important to always follow the correct wiring and installation instructions for any electrical equipment to ensure safety and proper functioning.