Connecting an External Audio Source to a DDS-100 Function Generator

In summary, the unit in the link does not have an input for connecting an external audio source, so it is not possible to do what you want with it. There are other ways to achieve the same results.
Sveral
Hello,
I wanted to know, if it`s possible and how it to go about connecting an external audio source, for example, an mp3 player to the circuit of a DDS-100 Function generator, so that it outputs the audio from the mp3 in the selected wave form?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DDS-Function-Signal-Generator-Module-Sine-Square-Sawtooth-Triangle-Wave0-5-14Vpp-/182127176882?hash=item2a67a02cb2:g:D9IAAOSwvU5XMwDJ
Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There may be some, but according to the online description this doesn't have that capability. For instance there is no connection for an input signal, only power input.

Tom.G said:
There may be some, but according to the online description this doesn't have that capability. For instance there is no connection for an input signal, only power input.
So the way to go about this would be to mix both of the audio signals or something?

I am not sure, exactly what you want but it sounds to me that you could be after a modulator which would modulate the programme material onto your generator output. That would give a possibly hideous output unless it's tastefully done. Or did you want to be able to transcribe the 'tune' of the MP3 file and programme the output of your signal generator. I believe there are midi processors that can dig out the melody of a recorded tune and produce a one- note version in midi code. That code could then be used to programme a suitable generator frequency and amplitude. But, as has been pointed out, the unit in your link has no electronic input for achieving this. If you really keen on this sort of thing then you would need to do a lot of homework, trawling around for a suitable unit (not as cheap as £13, I would think).
Otoh, you could go down the software route, if your PC is new and fast enough, to achieve the functions I have described. Doing it that way would ensure a certain amount of future proofing for your investment. There is a big scene in electronic music and loads of enthusiasts and 'experts' post their ideas on the Web.

What is an external audio source?

An external audio source is any device that can produce an audio signal, such as a smartphone, MP3 player, or laptop.

Why would I want to connect an external audio source to a DDS-100 function generator?

Connecting an external audio source to a DDS-100 function generator allows you to use the audio signal as a source for generating waveforms and signals. This can be useful for testing and experimenting with different types of signals and frequencies.

How do I connect an external audio source to a DDS-100 function generator?

The exact method of connecting an external audio source to a DDS-100 function generator may vary depending on the specific model, but in general, you will need to use an audio cable to connect the output of the audio source to the input of the function generator. Make sure to consult the user manual for your specific model for detailed instructions.

Can I use any type of external audio source with a DDS-100 function generator?

In most cases, yes. As long as the audio source has an output that can be connected to the input of the function generator, it should work. However, it is important to note that the quality and type of audio source may affect the quality of the generated signals.

Are there any limitations to using an external audio source with a DDS-100 function generator?

One limitation to keep in mind is the frequency range of the audio source. The DDS-100 function generator may not be able to generate signals at frequencies higher than what the audio source can produce. It is also important to ensure that the audio source is capable of producing a clean and stable signal for accurate waveform generation.