Connection between relative permittivity and bandwidth

In summary, the connection between relative permittivity and bandwidth of an antenna is that higher relative permittivity results in a wider bandwidth. This is a general relationship for regular metal antennas, such as dipoles, monopoles, loops, folded dipoles, and horns, which are surrounded by air or vacuum. The relative permeability used in this relationship is the permeability of the metal divided by the vacuum permeability. However, some sources may discuss the permittivity of the material surrounding the antenna instead. It is a well-known connection, but it may vary depending on the antenna geometry. Further research and links to relevant papers may be needed for a more comprehensive understanding.
qnach
What is the connection of relative permittivity and bandwidth of an antenna?
Higher relative permittivity resulted in high wider bandwidth?

Engineering news on Phys.org
qnach said:
What is the connection of relative permittivity and bandwidth of an antenna?
Higher relative permittivity resulted in high wider bandwidth?
Regular metal antennas (dipoles, monopoles, loops, folded dipoles, horns) are surrounded by air or vacuum. What relative permeability are you referring to?

berkeman said:
Regular metal antennas (dipoles, monopoles, loops, folded dipoles, horns) are surrounded by air or vacuum. What relative permeability are you referring to?

Yes, relativity permeability is simply the permeability of the metal divided by the vacuum permeability.
You can also simply discuss permeability vs bandwidth.

I saw this connection in a paper. But in a antenna class I heard the contrary. It seems everyone know this connection. I might made some mistakes.

Oops, my bad. I had a brain fade and was thinking of permittivity of the material surrounding the antenna. Sheesh.
qnach said:
I saw this connection in a paper. But in a antenna class I heard the contrary. It seems everyone know this connection.
Was it for a particular geometry of antenna? Like maybe a folded dipole, or some other configuration where the antenna metal comes close to itself?

qnach said:
I saw this connection in a paper.
qnach said:
I think it is a general relationship, and everybody know.
It looks like you will need to find and post some links to the papers that everybody is publishing on the subject...

What is relative permittivity?

Relative permittivity, also known as dielectric constant, is a measure of how well a material can store electric charge. It is the ratio of the electric field in a vacuum to the electric field in the material.

How is relative permittivity related to bandwidth?

In terms of electromagnetic waves, the relative permittivity of a material affects the speed at which the waves travel through it. This, in turn, affects the bandwidth of the signal. Materials with higher relative permittivity will slow down the waves and decrease the bandwidth, while materials with lower relative permittivity will allow for faster waves and larger bandwidth.

Why is the connection between relative permittivity and bandwidth important?

The relationship between relative permittivity and bandwidth is important in the design and optimization of communication systems. By understanding how different materials affect the bandwidth of signals, scientists and engineers can choose the most suitable materials for their specific application to achieve optimal performance.

How is the relative permittivity of a material determined?

The relative permittivity of a material is typically measured using a device called a capacitance meter. This device measures the capacitance of a material, which is directly related to its relative permittivity. The relative permittivity can also be calculated by comparing the speed of electromagnetic waves in a vacuum to the speed of waves in the material.

Can the relative permittivity of a material be changed?

Yes, the relative permittivity of a material can be changed by altering its physical properties such as temperature, pressure, or composition. For example, adding impurities to a material can increase its relative permittivity, while increasing the temperature can decrease it. This is why the relative permittivity of a material is often given as a range rather than a single value.