Connection between subspace, span, and basis?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of verifying a subset as a subspace of a vector space by showing that it satisfies the properties of a vector space. It also touches on the relationship between linear independence, spanning a subspace, and forming a basis for a vector space. It is important to note that a set of vectors that is linearly independent is not necessarily a basis, and the size of the basis set must be equal to the dimension of the vector space.
hakujin
I'm stuck on a relation issue if there is a direct relation at all.

If I were to verify that a subset is a subspace of a vector space V, would it then be correct to check that subset for linear independence to verify that the subset spans the subspace? I'm not sure if I'm following the material quiet correctly.

I completely understand that if the set is linearly independent it is a basis for V and that if S spans V it is a basis, but I'm unsure of the process connection to any verification of a subspace.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
hakujin said:
If I were to verify that a subset is a subspace of a vector space V, would it then be correct to check that subset for linear independence to verify that the subset spans the subspace?
As you stated the problem, that would not be necessary. You have a set defined and I assume it is a subset of the vector space. Now you need to show that the set has the properties of a space. Most properties will be inherited from the original vector space and you can just say which properties are inherited (associative, commutative, etc.). Then you need to show that the subset has all the vectors it needs to be a subspace ( 0 in the subset, rV, V1+V2 in the subset for every r∈R and V1, V2 in the subset.)

Last edited:
the vectors (0,1) and (1,0) form a basis for the plane, and any set that contains these vectors spans the plane. The plane is a subspace.

In 3 space, the subset (1,1,2) and (1, 2,2) is a basis for a plane in R^3, while not every subset containing these vectors spans exactly that plane, any subset consisting of those vectors and sums of scalar multiples of them does so. E.g. the subset (1,1,2), (1,2,2) and their sum (2,3,4) spans that same plane.

Last edited:
hakujin said:
If I were to verify that a subset is a subspace of a vector space V, would it then be correct to check that subset for linear independence to verify that the subset spans the subspace?
"The x axis" ##\{(x,0)|x\in\mathbb R\}## is a subspace of "the x-y plane" ##\mathbb R^2##, but it's not a linearly independent set.

hakujin said:
I completely understand that if the set is linearly independent it is a basis for V and that if S spans V it is a basis, but I'm unsure of the process connection to any verification of a subspace.
##\{(1,0,0),(0,1,0)\}## is a linearly independent subset of ##\mathbb R^3##, but it doesn't span ##\mathbb R^3##, so it can't be a basis for ##\mathbb R^3##.

##\{x\in\mathbb R^3:|x|<1\}## spans ##\mathbb R^3##, but isn't linearly independent, so it can't be a basis for ##\mathbb R^3##.

Last edited:
(0, 1, 0), (1, 0, 0), and (0, 2, 0) span a subspace of R3, specifically the subspace of all vectors of the form (x, y, 0) for any numbers x and y. But the three vectors are NOT independent so do not form a basis. Either {(0, 1, 0), (1, 0, 0)} or {(0, 2, 0),(1, 0, 0)} is a basis for that two dimensional subspace.

hakujin said:
I'm stuck on a relation issue if there is a direct relation at all.

It seems perhaps your issue is with the definitions. Then span of a set of n vectors, written as [itex]span(\{ v_1, v_2, \dotsm , v_n \})[/itex] is the set of all possible linear combinations of those n vectors. A basis is a collection of linearly independent vectors whose span is a vector space.

If I were to verify that a subset is a subspace of a vector space V, would it then be correct to check that subset for linear independence to verify that the subset spans the subspace? I'm not sure if I'm following the material quiet correctly.

To verify that a subset of V is also a subspace of V, you would need to show that the subset itself satisfies the properties of a vector space (contains 0, closed under vector addition, associative under vector addition, etc. -- there are about 10 of these properties that must be satisfied).

Do you? If a set S of vectors spans V, S is not necessarily a basis. As an example,

[itex]span(\{ [1,0], [0,1], [2,3] \}) = \mathbb{R}^2[/itex]

but clearly { [1,0], [0,1], [2,3] } is not linearly independent. However, note that

[itex]span(\{ [1,0], [0,1] \}) = \mathbb{R}^2[/itex]

also, and { [1,0], [0,1] } is a basis (the difference here is that this set is linearly independent). Also, a set of vectors (in V) that is linearly independent is not necessarily a basis of V. For example, [itex]S=\{ [1,0,0], [0,1,0]\} [/itex] is a set of linearly independent vectors in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] but S does not form a basis for [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] -- in fact, span(S) is a basis for a subspace that is isomorphic to [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex]. We need the size of the basis set to be equal to the dimension of the vector space!

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that contains all linear combinations of its elements. In other words, any combination of two vectors in a subspace will also be a vector in the subspace.

2. How are subspace and span related?

The span of a set of vectors is the smallest subspace that contains all the vectors in the set. In other words, the span is the set of all possible linear combinations of the vectors. Therefore, every span is a subspace, but not every subspace is a span.

3. What is the connection between subspace and basis?

A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that span a vector space. Every subspace has a basis, which is a set of vectors that span the subspace. However, not every basis is a subspace.

4. How do you determine if a set of vectors is a basis for a subspace?

A set of vectors is a basis for a subspace if it is linearly independent and spans the subspace. This means that every vector in the subspace can be expressed as a unique linear combination of the basis vectors.

5. Can a subspace have more than one basis?

Yes, a subspace can have multiple bases. This is because there can be different sets of linearly independent vectors that span the same subspace. However, all bases for a given subspace will have the same number of vectors, known as the dimension of the subspace.