Connections/geometry in Kaluza-Klein theory

In summary, Kaluza-Klein theory introduces an extra dimension with a compact symmetry, and this extra dimension is viewed as a little circle attached to each point. The connection between the four- and five-dimensional Riemann tensors can be understood by taking derivatives of the metric, and while the underlying geometry can be quite complex, it can be explored using the mathematics of vector bundles and fiber bundles.
center o bass
In Kaluza-Klein theory one introduce an extra fifth spatial dimension, to the usual four-dimensional manifold ##M^4## in General Relativity called space-time. This extra dimension has a symmetry; i.e. it is spanned by a Killing vector and it's taken to be compact. One views this extra dimension as a little circle attached to each point, so that locally I would guess one can view it as a product manifold ##M^4 \times S^1##.
Now I would really like to understand this geometry a little better.. One thing I wonder about is why one can not consider the manifold ##M^4## a hypersurface in the five-dimensional manifold?

In the book "Einstein's General Theory of Relativity" by Grøn and Hervik, in the section about KK-theory, one derives a relation between the five- and four-dimensional Riemann tensors by using the Cartan equations in 5D and 4D. However then the question arises how the connection is defined in the 4-dimensional and 5-dimensional space?

I've tried to find material on this, but those that I have found are very complicated and requires knowledge of vector-bundles, fiber-bundles, distributions and so on. I would think it was possible to understand it simpler terms?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The connection between the four-dimensional and five-dimensional Riemann tensors is derived in the usual way by taking derivatives of the metric. In short, we can view the extra dimension as an additional direction in which the metric can vary, and this gives rise to additional components of the Riemann tensor. There isn't really any need to understand the details of the underlying geometry in order to understand this, though if you are interested in learning more about it, then vector bundles and fiber bundles are a good place to start. In general, the extra dimension can be viewed as a kind of "hidden" space, in which the geometry of space-time is encoded. This hidden space can be explored using the mathematics of differential geometry, and this is what Kaluza-Klein theory does.

1. What is Kaluza-Klein theory?

Kaluza-Klein theory is a mathematical framework that attempts to unify the forces of nature by incorporating the concept of extra dimensions into the theory of general relativity. It was first proposed in 1919 by Theodor Kaluza, and later developed by Oskar Klein in the 1920s.

2. What is the significance of extra dimensions in Kaluza-Klein theory?

The addition of extra dimensions in Kaluza-Klein theory allows for the unification of the forces of nature, as the theory predicts that these extra dimensions are compactified and hidden from our observable universe. It also provides a geometric interpretation for some of the fundamental constants of nature, such as the electric charge and the gravitational constant.

3. How does Kaluza-Klein theory explain the connection between electromagnetism and gravity?

In Kaluza-Klein theory, the four-dimensional space-time of general relativity is extended to a five-dimensional space-time, with the fifth dimension being compactified. This extra dimension, known as the "fifth dimension", is responsible for the unification of electromagnetism and gravity. The geometry of this fifth dimension gives rise to the electromagnetic field, while the four-dimensional space-time curvature accounts for the gravitational field.

4. What is the role of connections in Kaluza-Klein theory?

Connections, also known as gauge fields, play a crucial role in Kaluza-Klein theory. These fields arise from the extra dimensions and are responsible for the interactions between matter particles. They are also responsible for the geometric properties of space-time, such as curvature and torsion.

5. How does Kaluza-Klein theory relate to other theories, such as string theory?

Kaluza-Klein theory is seen as a precursor to modern theories such as string theory. It shares many similarities with string theory, such as the concept of extra dimensions and the unification of forces. However, string theory goes beyond Kaluza-Klein theory by incorporating the concept of vibrating strings as the fundamental building blocks of the universe.