Conservation in Dynamite Explosion

In summary, potential energy is not itself always conserved, but there are laws of conservation for total energy, mass, and charge. The law of conservation of potential energy does not exist because potential energy is the ability to do something, not the doing of something. Therefore, when a stick of dynamite explodes, none of the following is conserved: internal (chemical potential energy), total energy, mass, electric charge.
stl
6. Which of the following is NOT conserved when a stick of dynamite explodes?

a Internal (chemical potential energy)
b. Total energy
c. Mass
d. Electric charge
e. None of the above. They are all conserved.

My best guess is none of the above because chemical potential energy merely rearranges the position of atoms, energy can not be created nor destroyed, mass cannot be created or destroyed, and the total amount of positive charge minus the total amount of negative charge of an isolated system does not change.

Thank you for taking time out of your day to help me become a little better!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is potential energy ITSELF always conserved?

If I drop a ball from height h and it hits the ground, what's the potential energy before I drop it and after it hits the ground?

The last one "None of the above. They are all conserved" is self-contradictory so that can't be right!

Yes, there is a law of conservation of total energy, a law of conservation of mass, and a law of conservation of charge. There is no "law of conservation of potential energy".

... because chemical potential energy merely rearranges the position of atoms,

i think poor grammar has muddled your thinking .

that sentence doesn't parse.

Verb 'rearranges' implies action
where's the corresponding verb implying action in the phrase
chemical potential energy
? I see two adjectives and a noun.

Potential energy is the ability to do something, not the doing of something.
Where's the verb ?

Your response is correct. In a dynamite explosion, all of the listed factors are conserved. The internal chemical potential energy of the dynamite is converted into kinetic energy as the explosive particles move apart, and the total energy of the system remains the same. The mass of the particles may change due to chemical reactions, but the total mass of the system remains constant. Electric charge is also conserved, as the number of positive and negative charges in the system does not change.

1. What is conservation in dynamite explosion?

Conservation in dynamite explosion refers to the practices and techniques used to minimize the negative impacts of dynamite explosions on the surrounding environment and wildlife.

2. Why is conservation important in dynamite explosion?

Conservation in dynamite explosion is important because the use of dynamite can have harmful effects on the environment, such as air and water pollution, destruction of habitats, and disturbance of wildlife populations.

3. How is conservation achieved in dynamite explosion?

Conservation in dynamite explosion can be achieved through various methods, including proper planning and site selection, use of alternative explosives with lower environmental impacts, implementing blast design techniques to reduce noise and vibration, and implementing post-blast monitoring and mitigation measures.

4. What are the benefits of conservation in dynamite explosion?

The benefits of conservation in dynamite explosion include minimizing negative impacts on the environment and wildlife, protecting biodiversity, and promoting sustainable development in mining and construction industries.

5. How can individuals contribute to conservation in dynamite explosion?

Individuals can contribute to conservation in dynamite explosion by being aware of the potential impacts of dynamite use and advocating for responsible and sustainable practices, supporting companies that prioritize conservation, and properly disposing of any unused or expired explosives.