Conservation laws (tricky, conceptual,not homework)

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a small mass placed on top of a larger mass with a curved surface. The smaller mass is pushed at a given speed and the question is to find its speed when it breaks off the larger mass. The use of conservation of energy is discussed, and it is determined that the entire system must be considered in order to conserve energy. The equation for solving the problem is provided and confirmed by another user in the conversation.
f(x)
Homework Statement
Consider a small body of mass m placed over a larger body of mass M whose surface is horizontal near the smaller mass and gradually curves to become vertical at height h.

f_figure1m_feb2fa4.jpg

The smaller mass is pushed on the longer one at speed v and the system is left to itself.
Assuming all surfaces to be frictionless, find the speed of the smaller mass when it breaks off the larger mass.

My attempt
This problem has been frustrating me for quite some time now. :rolleyes:
I start by assuming the bigger block is moving at speed V to the left when the smaller block is on the vertical and just about to break off.
Then by conserving momentum in horizontal direction : [tex] V=\frac{mv}{M+m} [/tex]
since the small block is also having a velocity component V to the left wrt ground

Now, i am going to use conservation of energy, and this is where I have doubts.
I am not sure whether to choose only the small block & ground as the system , or to choose both blocks & ground as the system. (I am getting answer in neither)

I think that in choosing only the small block and ground as system, an external force by the large block is acting (normal reaction) and thus i cannot use conservation of energy directly. Is this hypothesis correct ?

So, choosing the both blocks and ground as system :
The small block is having a velocity component upwards and velocity component left wards which is V. Let the required speed of the small block at the time of breaking off be x
Since [tex]F_{ext}=0[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{1}{2}MV^2 + mgh + \frac{1}{2}mx^2 [/tex]
Plz verify whether this equation is correct

Solving, i get [tex]x^2=\frac{(v^2-2gh)(m+M)^2-mMv^2}{(m+M)^2} [/tex]

while the answer is printed as [tex]x^2=\frac{(M^2+Mm+m^2)}{(M+m)^2}v^2-2gh [/tex]

Sorry for the length, but i desperately need some input :cry:
Thx a lot !

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy is conserved, as you noted. The normal force never causes motion in the direction of that force, therfore, the normal force does not do any work and does not need to be considered in the CoE formulae

But you need another equation, since you have two unkowns.

What else is always conserved?
Edit: oops, you already noted this.

Edit again: TinyTim caught it first. Dang.

Last edited:
f(x) said:
Sorry for the length, but i desperately need some input

Hi f(x)! :smile:

The length is fine … you've explained the problem admirably clearly.
Now, i am going to use conservation of energy, and this is where I have doubts.
I am not sure whether to choose only the small block & ground as the system , or to choose both blocks & ground as the system. (I am getting answer in neither)

I think that in choosing only the small block and ground as system, an external force by the large block is acting (normal reaction) and thus i cannot use conservation of energy directly. Is this hypothesis correct ?

ah, I expect you're thinking of am ordinary frictionless roller-coaster or pendulum-type situation, where energy is conserved even though the mass is constrained to move along a curve …

that works because the work done is zero … since there's no friction, the external force is normal to the surface, while the motion is by definition parallel to it …

but here, the force is still normal to the surface, but the motion (relative to the Earth) isn't parallel to it, because the whole system is moving.

So: general principle: energy is conserved only if work done is zero: and in this case you're right (but for the wrong reason … a normal force usually is ok): you must use the whole system. :smile:
Solving, i get [tex]x^2=\frac{(v^2-2gh)(m+M)^2-mMv^2}{(m+M)^2} [/tex]

while the answer is printed as [tex]x^2=\frac{(M^2+Mm+m^2)}{(M+m)^2}v^2-2gh [/tex]

erm … they're the same! :redface:

(M2 + mM + m2) = (M + m)2 - mM :rolleyes:

Thx a lot tinytim and Chi Meson for your help :)

tiny-tim said:
but here, the force is still normal to the surface, but the motion (relative to the Earth) isn't parallel to it, because the whole system is moving.
Ah ok thanks

tiny-tim said:
So: general principle: energy is conserved only if work done is zero: and in this case you're right (but for the wrong reason … a normal force usually is ok): you must use the whole system. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
erm … they're the same! :redface:

(M2 + mM + m2) = (M + m)2 - mM :rolleyes:
Oh
I thought the answer meant [tex]\frac{(M^2+Mm+m^2)(v^2-2gh)}{M+m)^2} [/tex] but i was unsure about the reasoning, still wanted to confirm
Thx a lot for those corrections tinytim :)

Related to Conservation laws (tricky, conceptual,not homework)

1. What are conservation laws?

Conservation laws are principles in physics that state that certain physical properties, such as energy, momentum, and mass, remain constant in a closed system over time. These laws are based on fundamental principles of symmetry and have been extensively tested and verified through experiments.

2. Why are conservation laws important?

Conservation laws are crucial for understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems. They help us understand how energy and matter interact and are the foundation for many important theories in physics, such as Newton's Laws of Motion and Einstein's Theory of Relativity.

3. Can conservation laws be violated?

No, conservation laws cannot be violated. These laws are fundamental principles of the universe and have been observed to hold true in all physical systems. However, they may appear to be violated in certain situations due to errors in measurement or incomplete understanding of the system.

4. What is the difference between local and global conservation laws?

Local conservation laws refer to the conservation of a specific physical quantity at a specific point in space and time. Global conservation laws, on the other hand, refer to the conservation of a physical quantity over the entire system. For example, the law of conservation of energy is a global conservation law, while the law of conservation of momentum is a local conservation law.

5. Are there any exceptions to conservation laws?

There are a few rare cases where conservation laws do not seem to hold true, such as in certain quantum mechanical phenomena or in extreme conditions like black holes. However, these exceptions are still being studied and do not invalidate the overall validity and importance of conservation laws in understanding the physical world.