Conservation of Energy and projectile motion

In summary, the conversation was about a lab write up for conservation of energy, where a projectile was launched into the air and its initial velocity and height were measured for 10 trials. One of the questions asked how much faster the projectile would have to leave the launcher to travel twice as high. Using the equation for conservation of energy, it was determined that the initial velocity would need to increase by approximately 1.41m/s. However, there were discrepancies in the data due to experimental errors and uncertainties. The experimental setup included a launcher pointing upwards with two photogates measuring the time it took for the projectile to pass between them, and a meter stick to measure the height. The mass of the projectile was 0.016116 kg
vlmstudent
I am finishing up a lab write up for conservation of energy, where we launched a projectile into the air and measured the initial velocity and height of the projectile. ( 10 trials)

One of my questions asks if I wanted the ball (projectile) to travel twice as high, how much faster would it have to leave the launcher?

From conservation of energy, I've derived the equation: Ug(initial) = K(final) or mgh (final) = 1/2mv^2 (initial)
When using arbitrary numbers, it looks to me that the initial velocity must increase by approximately 1.41m/s times. Is this correct? If it isn't, is there a way that I can find this out?

When I used this number with my actual data from the experiment, it doesn't equivocate. This might be because my calculations of Ug initial and K final were in disagreement with each other due to extremely small uncertainties. But I just want to make sure that is the only reason why.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
vlmstudent said:
I am finishing up a lab write up for conservation of energy, where we launched a projectile into the air and measured the initial velocity and height of the projectile. ( 10 trials)

One of my questions asks if I wanted the ball (projectile) to travel twice as high, how much faster would it have to leave the launcher?

From conservation of energy, I've derived the equation: Ug(initial) = K(final) or mgh (final) = 1/2mv^2 (initial)
When using arbitrary numbers, it looks to me that the initial velocity must increase by approximately 1.41m/s times. Is this correct? If it isn't, is there a way that I can find this out?

When I used this number with my actual data from the experiment, it doesn't equivocate. This might be because my calculations of Ug initial and K final were in disagreement with each other due to extremely small uncertainties. But I just want to make sure that is the only reason why.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Welcome to the PF.

In your future posts in the schoolwork forums, please fill out the Template that you are provided when starting a new schoolwork thread. It helps to organize your post, and makes it easier for us to help you. Thanks. :smile:

On your question, it looks like you did the correct thing with the KE and PE equations. Can you post your experimental setup and your data so we can check them?

Sorry about that.

I am not as worried about my experimental data adding up because after calculating my uncertainties, I found the values to not be in agreement with each other. I've found a number of reasons for this. However, my particular class is using a lab manual that is still in the editing phases ( yes, we are the guinea pigs), so it was easy to make mistakes here and there.

My main question, is how does the value of initial velocity change if you want to double the height a projectile reaches? Is there an expression I can derive through conservation of energy? This was a projectile launching straight up into the air.

The question on my worksheet is: For the ball to travel twice as high, how much faster would it have to leave the launcher?
Since my data doesn't quite add up, I was planning to use an expression to answer this question instead of my data.
If you think looking at my experimental data will help, I have included it as an attachment.

The set up:

A launcher pointing upwards with two photogates measuring time it took for the projectile to pass from the bottom one to the top one. The photogates were approximately 10 cm apart from each other (however I measured them to be 9.5cm). By using this set up I was able to determine initial velocity of each trial. A meter stick was fastened up vertically to measure height of the ball. The 0 of the meter stick was lined up with the bottom photogate. Values for h (y final) were measured by sight only. ( I realize there is room for discrepancy here).

mass of the projectile is not included on my data sheet. It is 0.016116 kg

Issues with data:
I reported height (h) to nearest cm. (values are reported in meters), while it may have been in my favor to attempt to calculate to the mm. By eyesight, this is rather difficult. But the experiment didn't specify this.
Also... the distance from the top and bottom photogate was different from one side to another. I should have measured the other side that was braced to a bar, which would have likely given me a measurement closer to the 10 cm I was looking for. Thanks again for your help!

Attachments

• datalab6.JPG
    datalab6.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 434
vlmstudent said:
Sorry about that.
No worries :smile:
vlmstudent said:
I am not as worried about my experimental data adding up because after calculating my uncertainties, I found the values to not be in agreement with each other.
Your data look pretty close.

[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2 = mgh[/tex]
[tex](3m/s)^2 = 2 * 9.8\frac{m}{s^2} 0.5m[/tex]
[tex]9\frac{m^2}{s^2} = 9.8 \frac{m^2}{s^2}[/tex]

Certainly determining the launch velocity with sensors that far apart is problematic. Which direction would that give you an error in your data? Is it in the right direction to help to explain the difference in the two numbers in my last equation?
vlmstudent said:
By using this set up I was able to determine initial velocity of each trial.
Or did you already apply the correction needed to account for the separation of the 2 gates? If not, can you say how you could calculate how to correct that time to give you the real initial velocity at the first photogate? :smile:

Last edited:

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another. In other words, the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

2. How does the law of conservation of energy apply to projectile motion?

In projectile motion, the law of conservation of energy applies by stating that the total energy of the projectile remains constant throughout its flight. This means that the initial kinetic energy and potential energy of the projectile will be equal to the final kinetic energy and potential energy at any point in its trajectory.

3. What are the different types of energy involved in projectile motion?

In projectile motion, there are two main types of energy involved: kinetic energy and potential energy. Kinetic energy is the energy of motion and is dependent on the mass and velocity of the projectile. Potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position or state, and in projectile motion, it is typically due to the height of the projectile.

4. How does the angle of launch affect the conservation of energy in projectile motion?

The angle of launch affects the conservation of energy in projectile motion by determining the initial potential energy of the projectile. The higher the angle of launch, the greater the initial potential energy and the longer the projectile will stay in the air. This also means that there will be a larger decrease in potential energy and a smaller increase in kinetic energy, resulting in a shorter horizontal distance traveled.

5. Can the law of conservation of energy be violated in projectile motion?

No, the law of conservation of energy cannot be violated in projectile motion. Energy can only be transferred or transformed, but it cannot disappear or appear out of nowhere. In projectile motion, the total energy of the system will always remain constant, even if there are external forces acting on the projectile.