Conservation of energy for a block on an incline plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the speed of a block and the elongation of a spring beyond the equilibrium point. The block has a speed of 0 and an elongation of 0 at the beginning, and at maximum elongation, the block has also moved a distance equal to its elongation. The variation of height is equal to -x⋅sin(53°). The equation W(FNC) = ΔME is used, where K is the kinetic energy and U is the potential energy. The potential energy is of two kinds: gravitational and elastic. The initial elastic potential energy is zero since the spring is in the equilibrium position. The equation -f⋅x = m⋅g⋅(-
Lone Wolf
Homework Statement
A block of mass m = 2.0 kg is on an incline plane, attached to a spring with elastic constant K = 20 N/m. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the plane is equal to 1/6. Initially, the block is at rest and the spring is in the equilibrium position. Find the maximum elongation of the spring.
Relevant Equations
The work done by a non-conservative force is equal to the variation of mechanical energy of a system.
W(FNC) = ΔME
Work: W = F d cos(Θ)
Friction force equation: f = μN ; where μ is the coefficient of kinetic friction.

Let v be the speed of the block and x elongation of the spring beyond the equilibrium point. Initially, v = 0 and x = 0. At the maximum elongation, the block also has v = 0, it has moved a distance equal to x (parallel to the plane) and the variation of height is equal to -x⋅sin(53°).
W(FNC) = ΔME = (Kf - Ki) + (Uf - Ui)
Where K is the kinetic energy and U is the potential energy. Kf - Ki = 0 since both the initial and final speeds are zero. The potential energy is of two kinds, the gravitational potential energy and elastic potential energy. The initial elastic potential energy is zero because the spring is in the equilibrium position.
f⋅x⋅cos(180°) = m⋅g⋅Δh + 1/2 kx²
-f⋅x = m⋅g⋅(-x⋅sin(53°)) + 1/2 kx²
f = μN → f = μ⋅m⋅g⋅cos(53°))
Rearranging the terms of the equation:
0 = 2⋅m⋅g⋅x (μcos(53°) - sin(53°)) + kx²
Replacing the numerical values:
0 = 2⋅2⋅9.8⋅x⋅(1/6⋅cos(53°) - sin(53°)) + 20x²
x = 1.37 m

The person who corrected my attempt had crossed the term 1/2 kx² in the equation (whilst maintaining the remaining ones) as if it was incorrect for me to place it there. Since I am unable to get in contact with this individual to question their reasoning for doing this, I came here to see if any of you guys can help me understand why I should not have included the final elastic potential energy. It makes sense in my mind since the block is connected to the spring.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lone Wolf said:
makes sense in my mind
Mine too. Your answer looks fine.

Likes Lone Wolf

1. What is the principle of conservation of energy?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transformed from one form to another. In other words, the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

2. How does conservation of energy apply to a block on an incline plane?

In the case of a block on an incline plane, the potential energy of the block at the top of the incline is converted into kinetic energy as it slides down the plane. This conversion follows the principle of conservation of energy, as the total amount of energy (potential + kinetic) remains constant throughout the process.

3. Is friction considered in the conservation of energy for a block on an incline plane?

Yes, friction is a factor that must be considered in the conservation of energy for a block on an incline plane. Friction will cause some of the block's potential energy to be converted into heat instead of kinetic energy, resulting in a slight decrease in the block's speed as it slides down the plane.

4. Can the conservation of energy be violated in the case of a block on an incline plane?

No, the conservation of energy cannot be violated in any scenario, including a block on an incline plane. If there appears to be a violation, it is likely due to an incomplete understanding or calculation error.

5. How is the conservation of energy demonstrated in a real-world scenario involving a block on an incline plane?

One real-world example of the conservation of energy for a block on an incline plane is a roller coaster. The initial potential energy of the roller coaster at the top of the first hill is transformed into kinetic energy as it travels down the track. This energy is then conserved and transformed throughout the rest of the ride, with no energy being lost or gained.