Conservation of Energy in a System of Three Balls and Two Pulleys

In summary, the conversation discusses the conservation of energy and calculates the potential and kinetic energy of two masses connected by a string. The final answer is derived using various approaches, including finding the relationship between the velocities of the masses and considering the geometric factor. The final answer shows that the velocity of the 1m masses is dL/dt, where L is the length of the string.
Nexus99
Homework Statement
Two balls of mass m are bounded by two wires of equal lenght to a third ball of mass 2m.
The wire passes on two pulleys, that are distant 2l. The ball of mass 2m, initially firm at the same
height of the pulleys and at the same distance from them, is dropped until it reaches the floor, distant h from the initial height. Which is its velocity in that moment?
Relevant Equations
Conservation of energy
Cattura.PNG

i tried with conservation of energy.

##E_i = 0 ##
##E_f = 2 m v^2 - 2mgh - 2mg(\sqrt{h^2 + l^2} - l) ##
## v = \sqrt{g(h - l + \sqrt{h^2 + l^2})} ##
Is it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
The potential energy of the two masses increases, not decreases. And you left out the final kinetic energy of the two masses.

Chestermiller said:
The potential energy of the two masses increases, not decreases. And you left out the final kinetic energy of the two masses.
Ok so P.E of the two massese is ## 2mg(\sqrt{h^2 + l^2} - l) ##
I think that kinetic energy is correct:
## \frac{1}{2} 2m v^2 + 2 \frac{1}{2} mv^2 = 2mv^2 ## is it ok?

Nexus99 said:
You've assumed that all three masses have the same speed when the middle mass reaches the floor.

TSny said:
You've assumed that all three masses have the same speed when the middle mass reaches the floor.
I thought so, which is the relationship between the speeds?

Nexus99 said:
I thought so, which is the relationship between the speeds?
The middle mass has a velocity that is vertically downward. This velocity has components parallel and perpendicular to the portion of the string on the left that runs from the pulley to the middle mass.

So, ##v_{//_{2m}} = - v_m ## ?
I tried also a new approach
## v_{2m} = \dot{h} ##
## v_{m} = \frac{d}{dt} (\sqrt{h^2 + l^2} - l) = \dot{h} \frac{h}{\sqrt{h^2 + l^2}} ##
##0 = m(\dot{h} \frac{h}{\sqrt{h^2 + l^2}})^2 + m \dot{h}^2 - 2mgh + 2mg(\sqrt{h^2 + l^2} - l)##
## \dot{h} = \sqrt{[\frac{2g(h+l - \sqrt{h^2 + l^2}}{2h^2 + l^2}](h^2 + l^2)} ##

Is it right?

Last edited:
Nexus99 said:
No. The velocity of the two m masses is not equal to the velocity of the 2m mass. There is a geometric factor.

Nexus99 said:
## v_{2m} = \dot{h} ##
## v_{m} = \frac{d}{dh} (\sqrt{h^2 + l^2} - h) = \dot{h} \frac{h}{\sqrt{h^2 + l^2} - h} ##
##0 = m(\dot{h} \frac{h}{\sqrt{h^2 + l^2} - h})^2 + m \dot{h}^2 - 2mgh + 2mg(\sqrt{h^2 + l^2} - l)##
## \dot{h} = \sqrt{[\frac{2g(h+l - \sqrt{h^2 + l^2}}{2h^2 + l^2}](h^2 + l^2)} ##

Is it right?
All looks good to me.

Nexus99 said:
## v_{2m} = \dot{h} ##
## v_{m} = \frac{d}{dh} (\sqrt{h^2 + l^2} - h) = \dot{h} \frac{h}{\sqrt{h^2 + l^2} - h} ##
##0 = m(\dot{h} \frac{h}{\sqrt{h^2 + l^2} - h})^2 + m \dot{h}^2 - 2mgh + 2mg(\sqrt{h^2 + l^2} - l)##

Is it right?
No. If ##L=\sqrt{h^2+l^2}##, the velocity of the 1m masses is dL/dt.

Chestermiller said:
Yes, sorry i derived dt but i wrote dh

Chestermiller said:
Yes, I didn't catch that. Thanks. Looks like the final answer is correct.

1. What is the concept behind "Three balls and two pulleys"?

The concept behind "Three balls and two pulleys" is to demonstrate the principles of mechanical advantage and pulley systems. It involves three balls of different weights connected by strings and two pulleys, which allow for the transfer of force and the reduction of effort needed to lift the balls.

2. How does the mechanical advantage work in this experiment?

The mechanical advantage in this experiment is achieved through the use of the pulley system. By distributing the weight of the balls over multiple strings and pulleys, the force needed to lift the balls is reduced. This allows for a smaller force to be applied over a longer distance, resulting in a greater mechanical advantage.

3. What are the different types of pulleys used in this experiment?

The two types of pulleys used in this experiment are fixed pulleys and movable pulleys. Fixed pulleys are attached to a stationary object and only change the direction of the force. Movable pulleys are attached to the load being lifted and can also change the direction of the force, as well as provide a mechanical advantage.

4. How does the number of pulleys affect the mechanical advantage?

The number of pulleys used in a system directly affects the mechanical advantage. The more pulleys that are used, the greater the mechanical advantage. This is because each additional pulley adds another point of support and reduces the amount of force needed to lift the load.

5. What are some real-world applications of the "Three balls and two pulleys" experiment?

The principles demonstrated in the "Three balls and two pulleys" experiment are used in various real-world applications, such as elevators, cranes, and sailboat rigging. These systems use pulleys to reduce the amount of force needed to lift heavy objects and to change the direction of the force for efficient movement.