Conservation of Energy of the Center of Mass

In summary: Can you explain it in more detail?In classical mechanics, the energy of a system of particles (say with 2 particles) in an external field is given by$E=\frac{1}{2}m_1|\vec{v}_1|^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2|\vec{v}_2|^2+V(\vec{r}_1)+V(\vec{r}_2)+V'(|\vec{r}_2-\vec{r}_1|)$Where V is the potential energy of the external field, and V' is the energy of interaction between the two particles. It is well
Luke Tan
In classical mechanics, the energy of a system of particles (say with 2 particles) in an external field is given by
$$E=\frac{1}{2}m_1|\vec{v}_1|^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2|\vec{v}_2|^2+V(\vec{r}_1)+V(\vec{r}_2)+V'(|\vec{r}_2-\vec{r}_1|)$$
Where V is the potential energy of the external field, and V' is the energy of interaction between the two particles. It is well known that ##\frac{dE}{dt}=0##, or that energy is conserved.

However, the energy of the center of mass is surprisingly also conserved
$$E'=\frac{1}{2}(m_1+m_2)(\frac{m_1\vec{v}_1+m_2\vec{v}_2}{m_1+m_2})^2+V(\frac{m_1\vec{r}_1+m_2\vec{r}_2}{m_1+m_2})$$
$$\frac{dE'}{dt}=0$$

This makes sense as macroscopically, everything is just made out of tiny particles and if this identity doesn't hold there would be no concept of a macroscopic object being treated as a particle.

However, is there any proof that the energy of the center of mass is conserved, based directly on the fact that the energy of the system is conserved? What are the conditions? For example, if the interactions between the particles in the system could not be described by a potential ##V'(|\vec{r}_2-\vec{r}_1|)##, such as in the case of magnetic forces, would this still hold? Must ##V## be linear in the coordinates?

In addition, does this hold for other quantities? For example, if every particle ##i## had a quantity ##\Omega_i(\vec{r}_i,\vec{p}_i)## associated with it such that ##\frac{d}{dt}(\sum_i \Omega_i(\vec{r}_i,\vec{p}_i))=0##, would ##\frac{d}{dt}\Omega(\vec{r}_{cm},\vec{p}_{cm})=0##?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
anorlunda said:
There is a simpler approach. Are you familiar with Noether's Theorem?
Not really, I know that it states that for every symmetry there is an associated conservation law and I have used it before for simpler conservation laws such as the conservation of momentum and angular momentum, but I don't really see how I would apply it to this.

1. What is the Conservation of Energy of the Center of Mass?

The Conservation of Energy of the Center of Mass is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total energy of a system remains constant as long as there are no external forces acting on it. This means that the total energy of the system, including both kinetic and potential energy, remains the same regardless of any internal changes within the system.

2. How is the Conservation of Energy of the Center of Mass related to Newton's Laws of Motion?

The Conservation of Energy of the Center of Mass is closely related to Newton's Laws of Motion, specifically the First Law which states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of a system with no external forces, the center of mass will remain at rest or in motion with constant velocity, thus conserving its energy.

3. Can the Conservation of Energy of the Center of Mass be violated?

No, the Conservation of Energy of the Center of Mass is a fundamental law of physics and has been proven to hold true in all observed systems. It is a fundamental principle that governs the behavior of matter and energy in the universe and cannot be violated.

4. How is the Conservation of Energy of the Center of Mass applied in real-world situations?

The Conservation of Energy of the Center of Mass is applied in various real-world situations, such as in the analysis of collisions between objects, the motion of celestial bodies, and the behavior of fluids. It is also used in the design and operation of machines and devices, such as rockets and satellites, to ensure their stability and efficiency.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Conservation of Energy of the Center of Mass?

There are no known exceptions to the Conservation of Energy of the Center of Mass. However, in certain extreme situations, such as in the presence of strong gravitational fields or at the quantum level, there may be some deviations from this principle. But in general, it has been observed to hold true in all physical systems.