Conservation of Energy problem

In summary: The centripetal force (mv^2/R) must be equal to the sum of the normal force (N) and the weight of the bead (mg). We can rearrange the equation to solve for N.
Dr. Who
Question:-
A bead slides without friction around a loop-the-loop (Please click on the below link for diagram). The bead is released from a height h = 3.50R. (a) What is its speed at point A? (b) How large is the normal force on it if its mass is 5.00 g?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wsd8g5q9d87undj/Loop Quest.png?dl=0

Homework Equations

(a) Potential Energy( at height 'h')=Kinetic Energy( at A)+Potential Energy( at A)

(b) Normal force + Weight of the bead = Centripetal force​

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)​
mgh=(½ mv2) + mghA
gh= (½ v2) + ghA
v2=2g( h- hA )=2(9.8)(3.5R-2R)=29.4R

v = √29.4R
(b)

N + mg = (mv2)/R
N = m {(v2/R)-(g)}
N = 0.005 {(29.4R/R)-(9.8)}
N = 0.098
My Professor has suggested the above solution but I want to know how can you take the height at point A to be 2R?
Similarly, I don't at all understand the equation for part(b) of the problem. Please explain your solutions with inline comments.

Thanks in advance! :)https://www.dropbox.com/s/wsd8g5q9d87undj/Loop%20Quest.png?dl=0

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you attach the diagram? (For those of us who cannot access dropbox.)

Dr. Who said:
Question:-
A bead slides without friction around a loop-the-loop (Please click on the below link for diagram). The bead is released from a height h = 3.50R. (a) What is its speed at point A? (b) How large is the normal force on it if its mass is 5.00 g?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wsd8g5q9d87undj/Loop Quest.png?dl=0

Homework Equations

(a) Potential Energy( at height 'h')=Kinetic Energy( at A)+Potential Energy( at A)

(b) Normal force + Weight of the bead = Centripetal force​

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)​
mgh=(½ mv2) + mghA
gh= (½ v2) + ghA
v2=2g( h- hA )=2(9.8)(3.5R-2R)=29.4R

v = √29.4R
(b)

N + mg = (mv2)/R
N = m {(v2/R)-(g)}
N = 0.005 {(29.4R/R)-(9.8)}
N = 0.098
My Professor has suggested the above solution but I want to know how can you take the height at point A to be 2R?
Similarly, I don't at all understand the equation for part(b) of the problem. Please explain your solutions with inline comments.

Thanks in advance! :)https://www.dropbox.com/s/wsd8g5q9d87undj/Loop%20Quest.png?dl=0

Attachments

• Loop Quest.png
    Loop Quest.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 497
Dr. Who said:
Point A is at the top of the circle of radius R. Height is measured from the bottom of the circle.

Dr. Who said:
Similarly, I don't at all understand the equation for part(b) of the problem.
It's just an application of Newton's 2nd law.

Related to Conservation of Energy problem

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total energy of a closed system remains constant over time.

2. How does the conservation of energy apply to everyday life?

Conservation of energy applies to everyday life in many ways, such as when we turn on a light switch, the electrical energy is converted into light energy. When we drive a car, the chemical energy in the fuel is converted into kinetic energy to move the car.

3. What are some examples of energy transformation in the context of conservation of energy?

Some examples of energy transformation include: converting solar energy into electrical energy in solar panels, converting potential energy into kinetic energy when a ball is released from a height, and converting chemical energy into thermal energy when wood is burned.

4. Can energy be lost in a closed system?

No, according to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be lost in a closed system. It can only be transformed into different forms of energy.

5. What is the role of friction in conservation of energy?

Friction plays a role in conservation of energy by converting kinetic energy into thermal energy. When objects rub against each other, friction causes them to slow down and release heat, resulting in a loss of some energy in the system.