Conservation of Energy with springs

heroslayer99
Homework Statement
A particle of mass m is suspended from a fixed point O by a light spring of natural length a and modulus of elasticity 4mg, the particle is pulled vertically down a distance d from its equilibrium position and released, find d if the particle just reaches O.
Relevant Equations
T = modulus of elasticity (extension) / natural length
EPE = modulus of elasticity (extension)^2 / 2 x natural length
Start by finding the equilibrium position, so we have {4mgx}/{a} = mg giving us x = a/4, therefore the spring's length is 5a/4. Now the loss in EPE (and therefore gain in energy of the particle) between the bottom and the equilibrium position is clearly 4mg((a/4 + d)^2 , and then from the equilibrium position up to O, the particle loses 4mg(a^2)/2a (as this is the gain in EPE), therefore in total the particle's energy has changed by 4mg((a/4 + d)^2 - 4mg(a^2)/2a, and this should equal the change in GPE (- the work done by gravity), which is clearly mg(5a/4 + d), this gives us d=5/4(a), whereas my textbook does something else, could someone let me know if either mine or the textbook's working is wrong? Thanks
1706537305814.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The textbook answer is correct. Although, this is for an elastic string, which requires no force/energy to compress.

The total EPE stored in the string is ##\frac{4mg}{2a}(x - a)^2##, where ##x## is the total extension. In this case ##x = a + \frac a 4 + d##.

Alternatively, the total EPE in the string is ##\frac{4mg}{2a}(\Delta x)^2##, where ##\Delta x## is the extension beyond the natural length. In this case ##\Delta x = \frac a 4 + d##.

I'm struggling a little to understand what you have done.

The textbook says that the energy gained from the spring's extension is enough to reach the top if the distance is 3/4a, I said that we need a little more energy to squish the spring down from its natural length to 0.
1706539404753.png
Textbook also says this, does that not imply that it costs energy to squish the spring?

heroslayer99 said:
The textbook says that the energy gained from the spring's extension is enough to reach the top if the distance is 3/4a, I said that we need a little more energy to squish the spring down from its natural length to 0.
View attachment 339387Textbook also says this, does that not imply that it costs energy to squish the spring?
The textbook solution is for a string, not a spring. A spring makes little physical sense in this case - although that would be nothing new!

But, you still have a mistake in using the intermediate equilibrium point. I don't understand why you subtracted that term.

As the particle moves a distance of d + a/4 up, it gains energy, we know it gains an equal amount to the EPE of the string. Then as the particle moves a distance of a up, it loses energy (As it costs energy to squish the spring down to a length of 0, from its natural length). Is my misunderstanding that the spring does not need any force to compress? I have edited my post aswell, check if that makes more sense now.

heroslayer99 said:
Is my misunderstanding that the spring does not need any force to compress?
The textbook solution is for a sTring (with a T) not a sPring (with a P). A sTring requires no energy to compress from its natural length.

PeroK said:
The textbook solution is for a sTring (with a T) not a sPring (with a P). A sTring requires no energy to compress from its natural length.
Ah I see. This is not mentioned explicitly in my book, is there a reason for this?

I think I understand your approach. There is EPE stored in the initial extension from ##a## to ##\frac{5a}{4}## to reach the equilibrium position. The question is whether the mass is pulled far enough to utilise that energy. If you don't pull the mass at all, then that energy cannot be released. There is an assumption that the mass is pulled far enough to be accelerated up beyond the natural length and hence release all the EPE.

In this case, as ##d = \frac{3a}{4}##, that is much greater than ##\frac a 4##, so the string will definitely release all its EPE as the mass will go up and beyond the natural length.

I am happy with all the EPE being released, the issue was that I thought the particle needed some energy to squish the string down from a length of a to 0, but apparently you don't need any extra energy for that.

heroslayer99 said:
I am happy with all the EPE being released, the issue was that I thought the particle needed some energy to squish the string down from a length of a to 0, but apparently you don't need any extra energy for that.
In reality (think of a bungee jump), the string has some mass that needs to be accelerated upward. In this case, the assumption is that this is negligible.

Alright, so we use the word light to mean little to no mass (effectively 0 mass), and this means that the string doesn't need any force to compress. However it still needs force to extend right? And if we use the word light to describe a spring, as my textbook does, do the same things still apply?

heroslayer99 said:
Alright, so we use the word light to mean little to no mass (effectively 0 mass), and this means that the string doesn't need any force to compress. However it still needs force to extend right?
Yes. Think of a bungee rope as a good example.
heroslayer99 said:
And if we use the word light to describe a spring, as my textbook does, do the same things still apply?
A spring definitely needs force to compress. That would be a different problem - and EPE would again be stored in the spring as the mass moves upwards beyond the natural length.

My main complaint about even considering a spring is that it's unrealistic to assume that a spring (however light) is compressed to zero length.

A string simply gets out of the way and you can imagine the mass touching the ceiling at point O.

That was partly why I assumed that the question must be talking about a string in th first place!

1706541521541.png

So here we would say that the epe at the start is equal to the epe at the end + the change in gpe.

heroslayer99 said:
View attachment 339388
So here we would say that the epe at the start is equal to the epe at the end + the change in gpe.
Best to start a new thread. I'm offline now!

1. How does the conservation of energy apply to springs?

When a spring is compressed or stretched, potential energy is stored in the spring due to the deformation of its shape. This potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy when the spring is released, resulting in the conservation of energy.

2. What is the equation for calculating the potential energy stored in a spring?

The potential energy stored in a spring can be calculated using the equation: PE = 1/2 * k * x^2, where PE is the potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

3. How does the conservation of energy with springs relate to Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This relationship allows us to determine the potential energy stored in a spring and how it is converted into kinetic energy as the spring oscillates.

4. Can the conservation of energy be applied to real-world spring systems?

Yes, the conservation of energy can be applied to real-world spring systems such as a car suspension or a pogo stick. These systems store potential energy in the springs when they are compressed or stretched, which is then converted into kinetic energy as the springs return to their equilibrium position.

5. How does the mass of an object attached to a spring affect the conservation of energy?

The mass of an object attached to a spring affects the conservation of energy by impacting the amount of kinetic energy the object will have as it oscillates. Heavier objects will have more kinetic energy due to their larger mass, but the total energy (potential + kinetic) will remain constant in accordance with the conservation of energy.