Conservation of linear momentum, undergrad particle dynamics

In summary, the plate will move a distance of 0.3m and the static friction between P and ground will be overcome immediately.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
block a has a mass of 2kg and slides into an open ended box B with a velocity of 2m/s. If the box B has a mass of 3kg and rests on a plate P of mass 3kg, calculate the distance the plate slides on the floor before it stops. Also, how long is it after impact before all motion ceases? Coefficients of kinetic friction are given, and so is the statics one between the plate and the floor
Relevant Equations
conservation of momentum, impulse
todelete.jpg
Hi all,

I'm opening this thread because of my uncertainty in how to correctly approach this exercise.
My first thought was that, since the plate is subject to friction with the floor, it is going to stop, thus the final moment is 0. Hence, from the conservation of linear moment:
$$m_Av_A+\sum \int_{t_1}^{t_2}Fdt=0$$
Now, couldn't we already solve for ##t_2## given the only external force to be the kinetic friction between the plate and the floor?

To compute the distance traveled by the plate, I'm totally disoriented... I believe conservation of energy should be used, by I can't really find a decent way to formalize my ideas.
I realize my thoughts are a complete mess, but it's one of the first exercises I do of the kind, and this one doesn't seem very immediate.

Definitely needing some hints to get on track :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume there is a totally inelastic collision between A and B to get you started.

PeroK said:
I assume there is a totally inelastic collision between A and B to get you started.
Thanks for the hint!
At the end, indeed, it wasn't very immediate... I started by calculated the velocity of block A+B due to the inelastic collision, and then the accelerations of AB and P along the x direction caused to friction, w.r.t to the floor.
After that, I computed the relative acceleration of AB relative to P and thus the time needed for AB to slide on P, which enabled me to calculate distance traveled by P, as long as the velocity of block AB+P.
Then, since sliding has finished, the three blocks will move as a whole, in an easily analyzable accelerated horizontal motion!
Took me quite some time to realize all of this though :)

The problem is not well posed.
First, we have to assume there is no friction between the boxes. Instead, A hits the far end of B inelastically.
Secondly, we are not told the static friction (call if ##\mu_s##) between B and P. For sliding between them to commence, the frictional force must reach ##(m_A+m_B)g\mu_s##. If that exceeds ##(m_A+m_B+m_P)g\mu'_s## then B will not slide on P at all.

I also note that it asks for "the distance the plate moves after it stops sliding". That, surely, is zero. No doubt they meant the distance it will have moved. I trust it is not a trick question.

Setting that aside, @greg_rack, did you check that the static friction between P and ground will be overcome immediately?

And what answers did you get? I have that P slides ##0.3m^2/s^2/g## before AB stops sliding along P and ##0.2m^2/s^2/g## thereafter.

Last edited:

1. What is the conservation of linear momentum?

The conservation of linear momentum is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, unless acted upon by an external force. This means that the total momentum before and after a collision or interaction between objects will be equal.

2. How is the conservation of linear momentum applied in particle dynamics?

In particle dynamics, the conservation of linear momentum is used to analyze the motion of individual particles or systems of particles. It allows us to predict the velocities and directions of particles after a collision or interaction, based on their initial conditions and the laws of conservation of momentum.

3. What are the key principles of the conservation of linear momentum?

The key principles of the conservation of linear momentum are:

• Momentum is a vector quantity that is conserved in a closed system.
  • The total momentum of a system is equal to the sum of the momenta of all individual particles.
  • In an isolated system, the total momentum remains constant over time.
  • Momentum can be transferred between particles, but the total momentum of the system remains unchanged.

4. Can the conservation of linear momentum be violated?

No, the conservation of linear momentum is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. It has been extensively tested and has always been found to hold true in all physical interactions.

5. How is the conservation of linear momentum related to Newton's third law of motion?

The conservation of linear momentum is closely related to Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In other words, when two objects interact, the force exerted by one object on the other is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the force exerted by the second object. This leads to the conservation of momentum, as the total momentum of the system must remain constant in accordance with Newton's third law.