Conservation of momentum problem from SAT II

In summary: So the intended interpretation is that the box is given a velocity of +5 m/s with respect to the ground after being thrown backwards by the man. This makes sense because the box is moving in the same direction as the man, just at a slower speed. Therefore, the final momentum of the man + box system is (7 m/s)(60 kg) + (+5 m/s)(20 kg) = 560 m * kg / s, which results in a velocity of 11 m/s for the man after the throw. In summary, the intended interpretation of the problem is that the box is given a velocity of +5 m/s with respect to the ground after being thrown backwards by the man, resulting in a final velocity of 11
incog13
Hello,

I am having trouble understanding this short problem from a Kaplan SAT II prep book. Here it is:

A 60 kg man holding a 20 kg box rides on a skateboard at a speed of 7 m/s. He throws the box behind him, giving it a velocity of 5 m/s. with respect to the ground. What is his velocity after throwing the object?
(A) 8 m/s
(B) 9 m/s
(C) 10 m/s
(D) 11 m/s
(E) 12 m/s

This is how I thought about it: Before man threw box, momentum of man + box system was:

(7 m/s) (20 kg) + (7 m/s) (60 kg) = 560 m * kg / s

The final momentum of man + box system after box was thrown was:

(5 m/s) (20 kg) + (x m/s) (60 kg) = 560 m * kg / s

x = 7.67 m / s

So man's velocity with respect to ground after he threw the box would be 7.67 m / s, or answer A, roughly 8 m / s ?

But unfortunately, the answer guide gives me the answer of 11 m / s for the man's final speed. Please help me make some sense of this!

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum is a vector so use vector addition, considering that "He throws the box behind him".

incog13 said:
(5 m/s) (20 kg) + (x m/s) (60 kg) = 560 m * kg / s

which direction do u define to be positive? remember momentum is a VECTOR quantity.

Ok, so let me rethink this. If the initial direction of motion of man + box is set to be positive, then am I simply going to be adding two positive quantities in the initial calculation of the momentum?

If the final velocity of the box is 5 m / s with respect to the ground, and I am calculating the final momentum also with respect to the ground, then I am guessing that the final calculation is also going to be adding two positive velocities? Or no?

I am kind of confused o_O.

I think the problem should be interpreted as: "he throws the box, so it travels away from him at 5 m/s". Then use galileo's principle of relativity (to find the speed of the box with respect to the ground), and calculate the momentum.

incog13 said:
Ok, so let me rethink this. If the initial direction of motion of man + box is set to be positive, then am I simply going to be adding two positive quantities in the initial calculation of the momentum?

If the final velocity of the box is 5 m / s with respect to the ground, and I am calculating the final momentum also with respect to the ground, then I am guessing that the final calculation is also going to be adding two positive velocities? Or no?

I am kind of confused o_O.

You are not confused. You are correct. You solved the problem correctly. Kaplan posed it incorrectly.

When the man throws the box behind him there are two velocities which would give the box a "speed" of 5 meters/sec with respect to the ground.

1. He throws it backwards so that it attains a velocity of -5 meters/sec with respect to the ground.

2. He throws it backwards so that it attains a velocity of +5 meters/sec with respect to the ground.

These are the only interpretations that make the phrase "with respect to the ground" meangful. Since the man's "velocity" is referred to with a sign convention where positive is forward, it is reasonable to assume that the resulting velocity of the box is also positive.

Accordingly:

Interpretation 1 is a correct interpretation.
Interpretation 2 is the intended interpretation and yields the 11 meters/sec result.

Thank you jbriggs444! I am not going out of my mind after all. Phew!

Everyone, thanks for the replies.

jbriggs444 said:
You are not confused. You are correct. You solved the problem correctly. Kaplan posed it incorrectly.

When the man throws the box behind him there are two velocities which would give the box a "speed" of 5 meters/sec with respect to the ground.

1. He throws it backwards so that it attains a velocity of -5 meters/sec with respect to the ground.

2. He throws it backwards so that it attains a velocity of +5 meters/sec with respect to the ground.

These are the only interpretations that make the phrase "with respect to the ground" meangful. Since the man's "velocity" is referred to with a sign convention where positive is forward, it is reasonable to assume that the resulting velocity of the box is also positive.

Accordingly:

Interpretation 1 is a correct interpretation.
Interpretation 2 is the intended interpretation and yields the 11 meters/sec result.

Thee is no confusion. The actual signs (plus or minus) are arbitrary, depending on the choice of positive direction. What is not arbitrary is that the speed (and momentum) of the box is backwards so the sign of the box's momentum is opposite to the sign of the man's momentum, after the throw.

nasu said:
Thee is no confusion. The actual signs (plus or minus) are arbitrary, depending on the choice of positive direction. What is not arbitrary is that the speed (and momentum) of the box is backwards so the sign of the box's momentum is opposite to the sign of the man's momentum.

We are told that the box was thrown backwards, not that it attained a backward velocity.

giving it a velocity of 5 m/s. with respect to the ground.

jbriggs444 said:
We are told that the box was thrown backwards, not that it attained a backward velocity.

Yes, you are right. I see your point.

1. What is the conservation of momentum problem in SAT II?

The conservation of momentum problem in SAT II is a physics problem that assesses a student's understanding of the principle of conservation of momentum, which states that in a closed system, the total momentum before and after a collision remains the same.

2. How is the conservation of momentum problem tested in SAT II?

The conservation of momentum problem is tested in SAT II through multiple-choice questions that require students to apply the principle of conservation of momentum to solve for unknown variables in a scenario involving collisions.

3. What are some common mistakes students make when solving conservation of momentum problems?

Some common mistakes students make when solving conservation of momentum problems include not correctly identifying the initial and final momenta in a system, not considering all objects involved in the collision, and not accounting for external forces.

4. How can I prepare for conservation of momentum problems in SAT II?

To prepare for conservation of momentum problems in SAT II, it is important to review the principle of conservation of momentum and practice solving problems involving collisions. It can also be helpful to familiarize yourself with common mistakes and strategies for avoiding them.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the conservation of momentum problem?

Yes, the conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics and has several real-life applications. For example, it is used in car safety design, rocket propulsion, and sports such as billiards and ice skating.