Conservatives 30% more generous than liberals?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, conservatives are more religious and less reliant on government assistance, which consequently leads to more generosity to charity.
Chi Meson said:
Arthur C. Brooks, huh?

If he is accurate, it will be a first.
As a champion of the "compassionate conservatives" nonsense, Brooks sees what he wants to see, and his message is pretty much guaranteed to make Republicans swoon. "Oh, look! A "scientific" study that proves what we've been saying all along!" "Gee, we conservatives are really generous!"

What a load of crap. Most of the "Christians" in this country are "all hat and no cattle", just like the prevaricator in chief.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well well well. Brooks is taking a vacation from his teaching post at Syracuse to spin for a while at AEI. That the same think tank that came up with some of the more significant Tobacco spins of the early 80s. Folks, this is like taking Michael Moore at face value.

This is too funny
Notice that AEI is listed as a charity!
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3252

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Are you kidding?

By definition, good Christians devote their lives to helping others. This is about as basic as it gets in Christianity. And there is no devotion like eternal devotion.

No, I'm not kidding. I think the assumption that 'good Christians devote their lives to helping others' is a bit of an exaggeration although I do acknowledge a strong charitable streak in Christianity ... Islam and Jewish religions as well. The question was really just my way of highlighting the irony of the (alleged) fact that Humanists ('Humanists believe we must live this life on the basis that it is the only life we'll have -- that, therefore, we must make the most of it for ourselves, each other, and our world.' from Institute for Humanist Studies) would contribute less for the care of the less fortunate than do those who believe in God. Any good Christian will tell you that no amount of charitable work will earn you a place in Heaven. However, a Muslim will tell you that charity is one of the pillars of Islam and a Jew will tell you that 'tzedakah' (charity) is the highest of all commandments.

If the statistic is true, I think it is much more likely that religious folks are somewhat better at socialization than the non-religious. Perhaps non-religious folks live slightly more insular lives. The regular, dependable social contact (Saturday/Sunday mornings, holidays, etc...) is likely to contribute to a more cohesive opportunity to be charitable. How many people are likely to show up to a homeless shelter or a charity bike ride every Sunday and holidays as well?

Chi Meson said:
Well well well. Brooks is taking a vacation from his teaching post at Syracuse to spin for a while at AEI. That the same think tank that came up with some of the more significant Tobacco spins of the early 80s. Folks, this is like taking Michael Moore at face value.

This is too funny
Notice that AEI is listed as a charity!
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3252

Thanks for that link. It was instructive find out that the CATO Institute is also a charity. Boy, these right-wing mouthpieces must be doing a LOT of good work, like trying to gut our governmental regulations and putting businesses in charge of making public policy.