Consservation of energy problem

• Thread starter Elmnt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, a skier weighing 50 kg starts from rest at a height of 25 m above the end of a ski-jump ramp with a velocity making an angle of 28° with the horizontal. The maximum height (h) of the skier's jump above the end of the ramp can be calculated using the conservation of energy equation, where the initial kinetic energy is 0 and the initial potential energy is given by mass*gravity*height. Since the ramp is frictionless, the skier's vertical velocity at the highest point will be 0. Using this information and the equation v^2 = 2gH, the maximum height can be solved for.
Elmnt

Homework Statement

A 50 kg skier starts from rest at a height of H = 25 m above the end of the ski-jump ramp. As the skier leaves the ramp, his velocity makes an angle of 28° with the horizontal. Neglect the effects of air resistance and assume the ramp is frictionless.

What is the maximum height h of his jump above the end of the ramp?

http://www.webassign.net/hrw/hrw7_8-39.gif

Homework Equations

I was using the conservation of energy equation:[tex]\textit{K_{i}+U_{i}+W = K_{f}+U_{f}}[/tex]
but I am getting stuck. I'm just not sure how to approach this problem. Using the initial kinetic energy as 0 and the initial potential energy as mass*gravity*height and that equals the kinetic energy plus the potential energy due to gravity at the height above the ramp. I don't know what the kinetic energy would be at this point so I cannot solve for the height. Am I looking at this correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
When the skier is at H = 25 m, his vertical velocity is given by v^2 = 2gH.
Since ramp is frictionless, the same vertical velocity will be there when he leaves the ramp at an angel 28 degrees. When he is at the highest point his vertical velocity will be zero. Now find h.

Thank you for your help!

Related to Consservation of energy problem

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

2. Why is the conservation of energy important?

The conservation of energy is important because it is a fundamental law of nature and plays a critical role in understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems. It also helps in resource management and minimizing waste in energy production and consumption.

3. What are some real-life examples of conservation of energy?

Some real-life examples of conservation of energy include: a pendulum swinging back and forth, a roller coaster going up and down, a battery-operated toy running out of power, and the transfer of energy from a power plant to a light bulb.

4. Can energy be converted from one form to another?

Yes, according to the law of conservation of energy, energy can be converted from one form to another. For example, electrical energy can be transformed into heat energy, or potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy.

5. How does the conservation of energy apply to the environment?

The conservation of energy applies to the environment in a variety of ways. It helps us understand how energy is transferred and transformed in natural processes such as photosynthesis and cellular respiration. It also plays a role in understanding climate change and the impact of human activities on the environment.