Constant current source transistor circuit - differences between 2 types?

In summary, the statement "Ia = Iq * R2/R3. So Ia is proportional to the ratio of R2/R3." is correct. Vbe is not affected by this equation.
altruan23
Homework Statement
So I am learning about how to create a constant current source with transistors, but I dont understand for what the diode is good for.
Relevant Equations
transistor eq, voltage divider, current divider rule
1646938878679.png

So basically we can have a constant current but i don't understand this circuit.
for example: i can have the Ia what ever I want with current divider rule: Ia = Iq * R2/R3. So Ia is proportional to the ratio of R2/R3.
And if i give a resistor at the collector terminal, if i change it between 100-1kohm the Ia is constant however, when I am out of this region, Ia is not constant anymore. why is this ?? and what does the diode on the right circuit help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint -- What effect does temperature have on a bipolar p-n junction? Why is the right circuit better? What is one of the quality measures for a Constant Current Source? (or Constant Current Sink in the case of your two circuits)

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd, altruan23 and DaveE
I would replace the transistor in the schematic with a simple DC model, then the reason will be more clear.

Likes altruan23
ok thanks for both answers, I am going to try both tommorow:)

Likes DaveE and berkeman
I've found that whenever I was confused about a transistor circuit, it's really helpful to just substitute the simplest models (resistors, diodes, current sources, etc.) for the transistor. Then look at the next most complex model and see if you care about the resulting refinement to your answer. Usually the really simple models are enough for you to understand the circuit, more advanced models are to get the details exactly correct. If you are doing this you'll want to separate the DC (low frequency) behavior from the RF (high frequency) behavior. Typically you really only care about one or the other, and the simplified models are quite different.

If you want to see the very most complicated model look up hybrid-π transistor model for AC or ebers-moll for DC. I've never used all of those elements, it's like the whole menu at a restaurant, you end up picking what you care about. IRL, you'll use the really simple versions.

Likes altruan23
My recommendation: At first, you should try to verify and understand your own statements:
(1) "So basically we can have a constant current"
(2) "Ia = Iq * R2/R3. So Ia is proportional to the ratio of R2/R3."

Is the statement (2) really correct? What about Vbe ?

1. What is a constant current source transistor circuit?

A constant current source transistor circuit is a type of electronic circuit that is designed to provide a constant, stable output current regardless of changes in input voltage or load resistance. It is commonly used in applications where a precise and stable current is required, such as in LED drivers or battery charging circuits.

2. What are the two types of constant current source transistor circuits?

The two main types of constant current source transistor circuits are the fixed current source and the adjustable current source. The fixed current source provides a set output current that cannot be changed, while the adjustable current source allows for the output current to be adjusted within a certain range.

3. What are the differences between the two types of constant current source transistor circuits?

The main difference between the two types is the ability to adjust the output current. The fixed current source has a set output current that cannot be changed, while the adjustable current source allows for the output current to be adjusted within a certain range. Additionally, the adjustable current source may require additional components, such as potentiometers, to adjust the output current.

4. What are the advantages of using a constant current source transistor circuit?

There are several advantages to using a constant current source transistor circuit. These include a stable and precise output current, the ability to drive a variety of loads, and protection against changes in input voltage or load resistance. Additionally, constant current sources can help extend the lifespan of components by providing a consistent current.

5. How do I choose between the two types of constant current source transistor circuits?

The choice between the two types of constant current source transistor circuits depends on your specific application and requirements. If you need a precise and stable output current that does not need to be adjusted, a fixed current source may be the best option. If you need the flexibility to adjust the output current, an adjustable current source may be more suitable. It is important to consider the load requirements, input voltage range, and other factors when choosing the right type of circuit for your project.