Constant of thermal conductivity and heat flow in a given time

In summary, the conversation is about the correctness of the values in part b) and the efficiency of the calculation process. The expert suggests that the values look great and questions the necessity of part b) since it can be easily calculated from the answer in part a). The expert also mentions that the shorter method of calculation could have been used but understands the desire for double checking.
Bolter
Homework Statement
Working out constant of thermal conductivity and heat flow in a given time
Relevant Equations
Q/t = KA(T1 – T2)/L
Here is the Q below

Screenshot 2019-12-21 at 13.43.05.png

I want to see if my values for part b) is okay?

This is what I have tried:

IMG_3529.JPG

IMG_3530.JPG

Any help would be nice! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It all looks great. I’m confused why they would even ask part b. You worked it out from your part a answer, and perhaps that is what they had in mind. However, you could have answered it trivially. They tell you the flow is 25 J/s. The net flow is just that times 12 minutes.

Likes Bolter
Cutter Ketch said:
It all looks great. I’m confused why they would even ask part b. You worked it out from your part a answer, and perhaps that is what they had in mind. However, you could have answered it trivially. They tell you the flow is 25 J/s. The net flow is just that times 12 minutes.

I actually did do it the shorter way which was that 25 joules was given off each second. So total heat flow in 12 mins is '25 * 12 * 60 = 18,000 joules'. Just went for the longer way to double check that my value of K was correct. Should have made it more clearer though nonetheless in my working by showing that.

1. What is the constant of thermal conductivity?

The constant of thermal conductivity, also known as the thermal conductivity coefficient, is a measure of a material's ability to conduct heat. It represents the amount of heat that can be transferred through a unit area of a material in a unit time, with a unit temperature gradient.

2. How is the constant of thermal conductivity measured?

The constant of thermal conductivity is typically measured using a device called a thermal conductivity meter. This device measures the temperature difference across a material and the rate of heat flow through it, and then calculates the thermal conductivity coefficient using the material's thickness and area.

3. What factors affect the constant of thermal conductivity?

The constant of thermal conductivity is affected by various factors, including the type and composition of the material, its temperature, and its density. Other factors that can influence thermal conductivity include pressure, moisture content, and the presence of impurities.

4. How does the constant of thermal conductivity relate to heat flow?

The constant of thermal conductivity and heat flow are directly related. The higher the thermal conductivity coefficient of a material, the more heat it can transfer in a given time. This means that materials with a high thermal conductivity will conduct heat more efficiently and have a higher rate of heat flow.

5. Why is the constant of thermal conductivity important?

The constant of thermal conductivity is an essential property to consider in various fields, such as engineering, building construction, and materials science. It helps determine the efficiency of heat transfer in different materials, which is crucial for designing and optimizing thermal systems and structures.