Constant Pressure Specific Heat in terms of Entropy and Enthelpy

In summary: Thanks for your help (and patience).In summary, the chemical potential mu is generally a function of T, P, and N, meaning that muN cannot be treated as a constant when taking the partial derivative with respect to T at constant N and P. By taking the derivative of H-TS = constant with respect to T while holding N and P constant, the following equation is obtained: (dH/dT)N,P - T(dS/dT)N,P - S = 0. This implies that (dH/dT)N,P = T(dS/dT)N,P + S, with the exception of the additive factor S which cannot be made to disappear. By rearranging
PhDeezNutz
Homework Statement
Per my Statistical Mechanics Book (Pathria and Beale Third Edition) formula 1.3.18 reads

##C_p = T \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_{N,P} = \left( \frac{\partial \left( E + PV\right)}{\partial T}\right)_{N,P} = \left( \frac{\partial H}{\partial T}\right)_{N,P}##

I do not see how

##T \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_{N,P}##

(The definition that I provisionally accept) is equal to

##\left( \frac{\partial H}{\partial T}\right)_{N,P} ##

When I do it I get an extra term ##S## per the product rule (I'll show my work shortly)
Relevant Equations
Helmholtz Free Energy

##A = E - TS##

Gibbs Free Energy

##G = A + PV = E - TS + PV = \mu N##

Enthalpy

##H = E + PV = G + TS##
If ##N## is constant (per the partial derivatives definitions/ the subscripts after the derivatives) then ##G## is constant

##H - TS = constant##

Taking the derivative of both sides with respect to ##T## while holding ##N,P## constant we get the following with the use of the product rule

##\left( \frac{\partial H}{\partial T}\right)_{N,P} - T \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_{N,P} - S = 0##

Which then implies

##\left( \frac{\partial H}{\partial T}\right)_{N,P} = T \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_{N,P} + S##

The above answer is "right" with the exception of the additive factor S but I don't see how to make it disappear.

I've been thinking about this for a day or so and I can't seem to make any progress. So any help is appreciated in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The chemical potential ##\mu## is generally a function of ##T, P,## and ##N##. So, ##\mu N## cannot be treated as a constant when taking the partial with respect to ##T## at constant ##N## and ##P##.

Likes PhDeezNutz
TSny said:
The chemical potential ##\mu## is generally a function of ##T, P,## and ##N##. So, ##\mu N## cannot be treated as a constant when taking the partial with respect to ##T## at constant ##N## and ##P##.

Good point. Upon reading your suggestion I decided to take a different approach because I don't know what ##\left( \frac{\partial \mu}{\partial T}\right)_{N,P}## represents.

Lord forgive me for what I'm about to do. I'm going to egregiously abuse notation and math but in the end I get what I want so there must be something correct about it. Let me know what you think if and when you get the chance.

Here we go

##dQ = TdS = c_p dT \Rightarrow c_p = T \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_{N,P}##Now to derive an alternate expression for ##c_p## and then equate them.

Recall from the thermodynamic identity

##dE = TdS - PdV + \mu dN \Rightarrow TdS = dE + PdV - \mu dN##

since ##dN = 0## per assumption

##TdS = dE + PdV = c_p dT##

Therefore

##c_p = \left(\frac{\partial E}{\partial T}\right)_{N,P} + P \left( \frac{\partial V}{\partial T} \right)_{N,P}##

so we have

##c_p = \left(\frac{\partial H }{\partial T } \right)_{N,P}##

The "egregious" part is me interchanging partial and full derivatives.

That all looks good to me.

Regarding the "egregious" part. You wrote

##dQ = TdS = c_p dT##.

The first equality ##dQ = TdS## assumes that ##N## is constant. The equality ##dQ = c_p dT## assumes ##P## is constant. So, the relation ##TdS = c_P dT## assumes ##N## and ##P## are constant. When you rearrange this as a deritvative ##c_P = T\frac{dS}{dT}##, the derivative is being done at constant ##P## and ##N##. So, it is actually a partial derivative: ##c_P = T \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial T} \right)_{P,N}##

Likes PhDeezNutz
TSny said:
That all looks good to me.

Regarding the "egregious" part. You wrote

##dQ = TdS = c_p dT##.

The first equality ##dQ = TdS## assumes that ##N## is constant. The equality ##dQ = c_p dT## assumes ##P## is constant. So, the relation ##TdS = c_P dT## assumes ##N## and ##P## are constant. When you rearrange this as a deritvative ##c_P = T\frac{dS}{dT}##, the derivative is being done at constant ##P## and ##N##. So, it is actually a partial derivative: ##c_P = T \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial T} \right)_{P,N}##

That makes perfect sense. I've always found the ways partial derivatives are manipulated in thermo/statistical mechanics to be somewhat mystifying and your post clears a lot of it up.

Thank you very much.

Isn't ##dH=TdS+VdP##?

Likes Lord Jestocost
Chestermiller said:
Isn't ##dH=TdS+VdP##?
From my undergrad thermo class I recall enthalpy being the amount of energy to create a system in a constant pressure atmosphere

so we must

1) account for the energy of the system

2) account for the work needed to "push the atmosphere out of the way" (in a constant pressure atmosphere)

so I think the differential is on V instead of P.

PhDeezNutz said:
From my undergrad thermo class I recall enthalpy being the amount of energy to create a system in a constant pressure atmosphere

so we must

1) account for the energy of the system

2) account for the work needed to "push the atmosphere out of the way" (in a constant pressure atmosphere)

so I think the differential is on V instead of P.
Well, I'm sad to say you think wrong.

The definition of enthalpy is $$H\equiv U+PV$$and the fundamental equation relating differential variations in U, S, and V is: $$dU=TdS-PdV$$So, $$dH=dU+PdV+VdP=(TdS-PdV)+PdV+VdP=TdS+VdP$$

This is something fundamental that should have been covered in your undergrad thermo class.

Please don't try to correct other members unless you are sure of what you are saying.

Chestermiller said:
Well, I'm sad to say you think wrong.

The definition of enthalpy is $$H\equiv U+PV$$and the fundamental equation relating differential variations in U, S, and V is: $$dU=TdS-PdV$$So, $$dH=dU+PdV+VdP=(TdS-PdV)+PdV+VdP=TdS+VdP$$

This is something fundamental that should have been covered in your undergrad thermo class.

Please don't try to correct other members unless you are sure of what you are saying.

Apologies I didn't mean to offend. I should have prefaced my post with "If I recall correctly but my memory is fuzzy". I see that you are a valuable member on these forums and I didn't mean to undermine you.

Likes Chestermiller
@Chestermiller I was thinking about the definition of ##dH## the other day and although I saw that you were right (and I was wrong) I think I have more insight now. I re-read the parts of my undergrad book and saw that they restricted themselves to constant pressure systems (because they are common in nature?) and then concluded ##dH=dU+PdV##. But nowhere did they say it had to be a constant pressure environment.

I mistakenly thought this meant there was no differential on ##P## but using the fundamental relation you put forth for ##dU## I see that there is.

If I may ask a question;

In a constant pressure environment is the change in enthalpy equal to the heat added ##Tds##?

Apparently (according to my book)

##\Delta H = Q + W_{other}## for constant ##P##. I don't quite understand that one.

It must be because #TdS# is not equal to heat?

The equation dH=TdS+VdP refers to the change in the thermodynamic equilibrium function H(S,P) for a pure substance or a mixture of constant chemical composition between two closely neighboring, differentially separated, thermodynamic states, one at coordinates (S,P) and the other at coordinates (S+dS, P+dP). This relationship is independent of any physical process that took the system from state 1 to state 2, no matter how complex, convoluted, or irreversible the process was, provided only, that in the end, they are again closely neighboring. So if dP between these two states is zero, it follows that dH=TdS.

On the other hand, the equation ##\Delta H=Q+W_{other}## applies to a finite change resulting from a process in which the system is in contact externally with a constant force per unit area over the entire process, including in its initial and final states. If the process is also reversible, then ##\Delta S=\int{\frac{dQ}{T}}##. If the temperature is changing during the process, this, of course, does not mean that ##Q=\int{TdS}##.

Last edited:
Likes cwill53 and PhDeezNutz

1. What is the relationship between constant pressure specific heat and entropy?

The constant pressure specific heat, also known as the heat capacity at constant pressure, is directly related to the change in entropy of a substance. Specifically, it is equal to the change in entropy divided by the change in temperature.

2. How does constant pressure specific heat relate to enthalpy?

Enthalpy is a thermodynamic property that takes into account both the internal energy of a substance and the work done on or by the substance. The constant pressure specific heat is related to enthalpy through the equation Cp = ∆H/∆T.

3. Why is constant pressure specific heat important in thermodynamics?

Constant pressure specific heat is an important concept in thermodynamics because it helps us understand how a substance will respond to changes in temperature and pressure. It also allows us to calculate the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance at a constant pressure.

4. How is constant pressure specific heat measured?

Constant pressure specific heat can be measured experimentally using a calorimeter. The substance is heated or cooled at a constant pressure, and the change in temperature is recorded. The heat capacity can then be calculated using the equation Cp = q/∆T, where q is the heat absorbed or released by the substance.

5. What is the difference between constant pressure and constant volume specific heat?

The main difference between constant pressure and constant volume specific heat is the conditions under which they are measured. Constant pressure specific heat is measured at a constant pressure, while constant volume specific heat is measured at a constant volume. This means that the volume of the substance remains constant during the measurement for constant volume specific heat, whereas it can change for constant pressure specific heat.