Constrained Extrema Homework: Find Min & Prove Limit of 0

• Thread starter teleport
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Extrema
In summary: For the 2nd one, honestly, no clue. I left my assignment for the last day, because I had so many other stuff to do. Now I'm really in trouble. Thanks for all your help.#2 is done! It wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be. #1 still hurts. I just don't know what to do. Help please.
teleport

Homework Statement

These are two problems from my assignment that are due tomorrow! Plz, help as you can.

1)Show that f(x,y) = (y - x)(y - 3x^2) attains a local minimum on every straight line through the origin and that this occurs at (0,0). Does f have a local minimum at (0,0)?

2)Assuming that f_x and f_y both exist at (x,y), prove that if

[itex]\lim_{(h,k)\rightarrow(0,0)}\dfrac{f(x+h, y) - f(x,y) - f_{x}(x,y)h - f_{y}(x,y)k}{\sqrt{h^2 + k^2}}[/itex]

exists, the limit is 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one I tried Lagrange's multipliers but became a mess with all the algebra, leaving me with the impression that this might be done more easily using something that I might have missed in class.

For the 2nd one, honestly, no clue. I left my assignment for the last day, because I had so many other stuff to do. Now I'm really in trouble. Thanks for all your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
#2 is done! It wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be. #1 still hurts. I just don't know what to do. Help please.

teleport said:

Homework Statement

These are two problems from my assignment that are due tomorrow! Plz, help as you can.

1)Show that f(x,y) = (y - x)(y - 3x^2) attains a local minimum on every straight line through the origin and that this occurs at (0,0). Does f have a local minimum at (0,0)?

2)Assuming that f_x and f_y both exist at (x,y), prove that if

[itex]\lim_{(h,k)\rightarrow(0,0)}\dfrac{f(x+h, y) - f(x,y) - f_{x}(x,y)h - f_{y}(x,y)k}{\sqrt{h^2 + k^2}}[/itex]

exists, the limit is 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one I tried Lagrange's multipliers but became a mess with all the algebra, leaving me with the impression that this might be done more easily using something that I might have missed in class.
I don't see why. The gradient of [itex](y - x)(y - 3x^2)[/itex] is [itex][(-y-3x^2)-6x(y-x)]\vec{i}+ [2y-x-3x^2]\vec{j}[/itex] while we can write the condition y= mx as G(x,y)= y- mx= 0 and its gradient is [itex]-m\vec{i}+ \vec{j}[/itex]. Lagranges multiplier method gives you two equations: [itex](y-3x^2)-6x(y-x)= -\lambda m[/itex] and [itex]2y-x-3x^2= \lambda[/itex]. Divide one equation by the other to get rid of [itex]\lambda[/itex] (that's a standard technique), then replace y with mx and it reduces to a quadratic equation to solve for x (in terms of m, of course).

But how do you make sure that (0,0) gives the min?

Related to Constrained Extrema Homework: Find Min & Prove Limit of 0

1. What is the purpose of finding constrained extrema in homework?

Finding constrained extrema is an important skill in calculus and optimization. It allows you to determine the maximum or minimum value of a function within a given set of constraints, which has many real-world applications such as maximizing profits or minimizing costs.

2. How do you find the minimum or maximum value of a function?

To find the minimum or maximum value of a function, you must first take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the critical points by finding the values of x that make the derivative equal to zero. Finally, plug these values into the original function and determine which one gives the minimum or maximum value.

3. What is the purpose of proving the limit of 0 in constrained extrema homework?

Proving the limit of 0 is important because it shows that the function is approaching a specific value as the independent variable approaches a certain value. This is crucial in determining the behavior of a function and finding its extreme values.

4. How do you prove the limit of 0 in constrained extrema homework?

To prove the limit of 0, you must show that as the independent variable approaches a certain value, the function approaches 0. This can be done using various techniques such as the squeeze theorem or epsilon-delta proofs.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in finding constrained extrema?

Some common mistakes to avoid in finding constrained extrema include not considering all the possible critical points, not properly setting up and solving the derivative, and not verifying if the critical points are minimum or maximum values. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double-check your work to avoid these errors.