Constraining parameters for a quadratic equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the constraints for a quadratic fit on a graph, including the need for it to pass through a specific point, have a specific domain and range, and fit below a given line. The conversation also explores the relationship and constraints between the parameters a, b, and c in the quadratic equation. A suggestion is made to add an additional constraint where the tangent of the curve has a slope of -1 or less at the specified point. The speaker thanks the other person for their help and states that they will try the suggested constraint.
kungfuscious
Hi there! I'm working on analyzing some data from an experiment, and you can see a graph of some of the results in the attached .jpg image. I've done both a linear and a quadratic fit on the data points, weighted to error bars (the red lines are the fits). I use percents in the graph, but I'd rather use more general values between 0 and 1.

I'm trying to write out constraints on the parameters of a quadratic fit in more general terms.

Constraints:
1) I know that the quadratic fit needs to pass through the point x=1, y=0.

2) For the domain, 0[itex]\leq[/itex]x[itex]\leq[/itex]1

3) The range is similar: 0[itex]\leq[/itex]y[itex]\leq[/itex]1

4) The quadratic must fit below the line going from the top left to the bottom right. (the line y=-x+1)

Different quadratics could be drawn in here, and I'm trying to generalize. y=ax[itex]^{2}[/itex]+bx+c

What I've figured out so far is that for 1), 0=a+b+c

Then, for 4), I can say that 0[itex]\leq[/itex]y[itex]\leq[/itex]1 , and
y[itex]\leq[/itex]-x+1

I guess that also means I can say that ax[itex]^{2}[/itex]+bx+c[itex]\leq[/itex]-x+1

I can plug in for a or b or c in that equation (using 0=a+b+c), but I just end up running around in a circle.

I get the feeling there's a lot more I can do with this to write out how a and b and c might be related or constrained, but I'm a bit stuck. Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Kungfuscious

Attachments

• fci.jpg
    fci.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 438
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you want the quadratic curve to fit under the -x+1 line even right at the x=1,y=0 point, then you could add an additional constraint where the tangent of the quadratic curve has a slope of -1 or less at that x=1,y=0 point...otherwise, the curve could excursion beyond your -x+1 line

so dy/dx = 2ax + b and so 2ax + b < -1 and at x=1, 2a+b < -1

no?

Thanks a lot! I had figured out another few things, but I think your suggestion will work. Thank you so much!

-Kungfuscious

Related to Constraining parameters for a quadratic equation

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a polynomial equation of the second degree, meaning it contains a variable raised to the power of two. It is in the form of ax² + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do you solve a quadratic equation?

There are several methods for solving a quadratic equation, including factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula. The most commonly used method is the quadratic formula, which is x = (-b ± √(b² - 4ac)) / 2a. This formula can be used to find the values of x that make the equation equal to zero.

3. What are the parameters in a quadratic equation?

The parameters in a quadratic equation are the constants a, b, and c. These parameters determine the shape and position of the parabola represented by the equation. The value of a affects the steepness of the curve, b determines the position of the curve on the x-axis, and c determines the y-intercept of the curve.

4. Can the parameters of a quadratic equation be negative?

Yes, the parameters a, b, and c can be negative in a quadratic equation. This will result in a parabola that opens downwards instead of upwards. The negative parameters will also affect the position and shape of the parabola in the same way as positive parameters.

5. Why is it important to constrain the parameters in a quadratic equation?

Constraining the parameters in a quadratic equation is important because it helps to determine the behavior of the equation and the properties of the associated parabola. By constraining the parameters, we can better understand the solutions to the equation and how they relate to the graph of the parabola. It also allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about real-life situations represented by quadratic equations.