Conceptual question on equations of the form ##x=ay^2+by+c##

In summary, quadratic equations are equations with the form ##y=ax^2+bx+c## where ##a,b##, and ##c## are constants and ##x,y## are variables. The equation ##x=y^2+2y+1## can also be viewed as a quadratic equation by switching the variables, but in this case, ##x## is a function of ##y## while ##y## is not a function of ##x##. This means that for any value of ##x##, we can obtain one unique value for ##y##, but the same is not true for any value of ##y##.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
This is my own question;
Relevant Equations
quadratic equations
Now i just need some clarification; we know that quadratic equations are equations of the form ##y=ax^2+bx+c## with ##a,b## and ##c## being constants and ##x## and ##y## variables.

Now my question is... can we also view/look at ##x=y^2+2y+1## as quadratic equations having switched the variables ? thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Homework Statement: This is my own question;
Relevant Equations: quadratic equations

Now i just need some clarification; we know that quadratic equations are equations of the form ##y=ax^2+bx+c## with ##a,b## and ##c## being constants and ##x## and ##y## variables.

Now my question is... can we also view/look at ##x=y^2+2y+1## as quadratic equations having switched the variables ? thanks...
Yes. Of course we can.

However, I hope you realize that in this case, ##x## is a function of ##y##, but ##y## is not a function of ##x##.

Likes MatinSAR and chwala
SammyS said:
Yes. Of course we can.

However, I hope you realize that in this case, ##x## is a function of ##y##, but ##y## is not a function of ##x##.
yes @SammyS ...we now have ##x## as the dependent variable......but is the relation going to be a Function? as we require to obtain one unique value( one and only one) for ##y## for any value of ##xε\mathbb{R}##.

Last edited:
it is a function of variable ##y##

Likes chwala and malawi_glenn
chwala said:
yes @SammyS ...we now have ##x## as the dependent variable......but is the relation going to be a Function? as we require to obtain one unique value( one and only one) for ##y## for any value of ##xε\mathbb{R}##.
I believe that I answered this in Post #2 .

Likes chwala and Mark44
chwala said:
as we require to obtain one unique value( one and only one) for ##y## for any value of ##xε\mathbb{R}##.
But this is needed when ##y## is a function of ##x##.
If we have ##x=y^2## we can say that ##x## is a function of ##y##. But ##y## is not a function of ##x## because: ##y=\pm x^\frac {1}{2}##.

Likes chwala

1. What is the general form of equations of the form ##x=ay^2+by+c##?

The general form of equations of the form ##x=ay^2+by+c## is a quadratic equation in the variables x and y.

2. How do you graph equations of the form ##x=ay^2+by+c##?

To graph equations of the form ##x=ay^2+by+c##, you can use a graphing calculator or manually plot points by substituting different values for y and solving for x.

3. What is the significance of the coefficients a, b, and c in equations of the form ##x=ay^2+by+c##?

The coefficient a determines the shape of the parabola, with positive values creating a "U" shape and negative values creating an upside-down "U" shape. The coefficient b affects the position of the parabola on the y-axis, and the constant c determines the y-intercept of the parabola.

4. Can equations of the form ##x=ay^2+by+c## have multiple solutions?

Yes, equations of the form ##x=ay^2+by+c## can have multiple solutions. This means that there can be more than one value of y that satisfies the equation and corresponds to a certain value of x.

5. How do you solve equations of the form ##x=ay^2+by+c## for a specific variable?

To solve equations of the form ##x=ay^2+by+c## for a specific variable, you can use algebraic methods such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula.