Constraining the element-wise magnitudes of a matrix

In summary, the goal is to find a unitary matrix, \textbf{U} which minimizes "something like"\underline{1}^T \left|\left(\left|\textbf{B}_{opt}\right|^2 - \underline{1}\underline{1}^T\right)\right|^2subject to \textbf{U}^H\textbf{U}=\textbf{I}. However, differentiating the constraint term produces strange results. The author has been using the Frobenius norm to write the matrix trace, but has run into trouble with the term not being summed. They are looking for any fresh
weetabixharry
I have a complex matrix, [itex]\textbf{A}[/itex], and I want to left-multiply it by a unitary matrix, [itex]\textbf{U}[/itex] (i.e. [itex]\textbf{U}[/itex] is square and [itex]\textbf{U}^H\textbf{U}=\textbf{I}[/itex]).

The goal is to find the [itex]\textbf{U}[/itex] which yields the optimal solution [itex]\textbf{B}_{opt} \triangleq \textbf{U}\textbf{A}[/itex], where [itex]\textbf{B}_{opt}[/itex] is optimal in the sense that its element-wise magnitudes are all simultaneously as close as possible to unity.

That is, I would like to minimise something like: [itex]\underline{1}^T \left|\left(\left|\textbf{B}_{opt}\right|^2 - \underline{1}\underline{1}^T\right)\right|^2 \underline{1}[/itex] (subject to [itex]\textbf{U}^H\textbf{U}=\textbf{I}[/itex]), where [itex] \left|\textbf{B}_{opt}\right|[/itex] denotes the element-by-element absolute value of [itex]\textbf{B}_{opt}[/itex] and [itex]\underline{1}[/itex] is a column vector of ones.

How can I approach this problem? I have tried to find a solution using Lagrange multipliers, but I can't seem to gain any insight into how to design [itex]\textbf{U}[/itex]. What other sorts of methods are available for this type of problem?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The "element-by-element magnitude squared" can be written

[tex]\mathrm{tr} \, (A^\dagger A)[/tex]

This might be useful.

Ben Niehoff said:
The "element-by-element magnitude squared" can be written

[tex]\mathrm{tr} \, (A^\dagger A)[/tex]

This might be useful.

Ah yes - I have been using that expression (sum of element-by-element magnitude squared is the Frobenius norm). It is particularly useful because matrix traces tend to be easy to differentiate.

However, I run into trouble with the [itex]\left|\textbf{B}_{opt}\right|^2[/itex] term, which is not summed. I wrote it as [itex]\left( \textbf{B}_{opt} \odot \textbf{B}_{opt}^* \right)[/itex], where [itex]\odot[/itex] is the Hadamard (element-by-element) product. When differentiated (w.r.t. [itex]\textbf{U}^*[/itex]) this produces an ugly expression with several Hadamard products that I find difficult to work with.

Furthermore, differentiating the constraint term in the Lagrange function seems to give strange results (or perhaps I have made an error)... so I'm looking for any fresh ideas or insights!

What is constraining the element-wise magnitudes of a matrix?

Constraining the element-wise magnitudes of a matrix refers to setting limits or boundaries on the values of each individual element in a matrix. This is often done in mathematical or scientific applications to ensure that the matrix remains within a certain range of values.

Why is constraining the element-wise magnitudes of a matrix important?

Constraining the element-wise magnitudes of a matrix is important because it helps to prevent extreme or unrealistic values from occurring, which can negatively impact the accuracy and validity of results. This is particularly important in scientific research and data analysis.

What are some common methods for constraining the element-wise magnitudes of a matrix?

There are several methods for constraining the element-wise magnitudes of a matrix, including setting upper and lower bounds for each element, using regularization techniques, and applying constraints based on the structure or properties of the matrix.

Can constraining the element-wise magnitudes of a matrix affect the overall performance?

Yes, constraining the element-wise magnitudes of a matrix can affect the overall performance, as it may limit the range of values that the matrix can take on. This can potentially affect the accuracy or speed of calculations, so it is important to carefully consider the type and amount of constraints applied.

Are there any potential drawbacks to constraining the element-wise magnitudes of a matrix?

Yes, there can be potential drawbacks to constraining the element-wise magnitudes of a matrix. For example, if the constraints are too strict, it may limit the ability of the matrix to accurately represent the underlying data. Additionally, if the constraints are not carefully chosen, they may introduce bias into the results.