Definition of matrix transformation

In summary: If $s$ is a fixed $4\times2$ matrix (with linearly independent columns) then the map $A\mapsto sAs^{\textsf{T}}$ takes the $2\times2$ matrix $A$ to a $4\times4$ matrix. If $A$ represents a linear transformation of $\mathbb{R}^2$ then $sAs^{\textsf{T}}$ represents the linear transformation of $\mathbb{R}^4$ which acts like $A$ on the 2-dimensional subspace spanned by the columns of $s$, and is zero on the orthogonal subspace.
Carla1985
Hi all,

I have the definition of a linear transformation in terms of a transformation matrix. So the mapping is a function $f:\mathbb{R}^m\rightarrow\mathbb{R}^n$, where $f(\textbf{x})=A\textbf{x}$ and $A$ is a $n\times m$ matrix.

I'm looking for a similar definition for a transformation that takes a matrix to another matrix. I.e a $2\times 2$ matrix to a $4\times 4$ one. I think the mapping will be of the form $sAs^T$, where $s$ is a matrix but I'm sure there's more to it than that.

Also when doing a linear transformation I can say that if I want to take the first element of $\textbf{x}$ to the third element of $f(\textbf{x})$ then there will be a $1$ in the first column and third row of $A$. Ideally I would like a similar explanation for the matrix transformation.

Can someone point me in the right direction please.

Thanks
Carla

Physics news on Phys.org
You can represent 2x2 matrices as vectors of length 4 and 4x4 matrices as vectors of length 16. Then a linear transformation from 2x2 matrices to 4x4 matrices is represented by a 16x4 matrix.

Carla1985 said:
I think the mapping will be of the form $sAs^T$, where $s$ is a matrix but I'm sure there's more to it than that.
If $s$ is the argument, then $sAs^T$ is not a linear transformation.

Carla1985 said:
Hi all,

I have the definition of a linear transformation in terms of a transformation matrix. So the mapping is a function $f:\mathbb{R}^m\rightarrow\mathbb{R}^n$, where $f(\textbf{x})=A\textbf{x}$ and $A$ is a $n\times m$ matrix.

I'm looking for a similar definition for a transformation that takes a matrix to another matrix. I.e a $2\times 2$ matrix to a $4\times 4$ one. I think the mapping will be of the form $sAs^T$, where $s$ is a matrix but I'm sure there's more to it than that.
If $s$ is a fixed $4\times2$ matrix (with linearly independent columns) then the map $A\mapsto sAs^{\textsf{T}}$ takes the $2\times2$ matrix $A$ to a $4\times4$ matrix. If $A$ represents a linear transformation of $\mathbb{R}^2$ then $sAs^{\textsf{T}}$ represents the linear transformation of $\mathbb{R}^4$ which acts like $A$ on the 2-dimensional subspace spanned by the columns of $s$, and is zero on the orthogonal subspace.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
You can represent 2x2 matrices as vectors of length 4 and 4x4 matrices as vectors of length 16. Then a linear transformation from 2x2 matrices to 4x4 matrices is represented by a 16x4 matrix.

If $s$ is the argument, then $sAs^T$ is not a linear transformation.

I hadn't thought of this route, I will definitely explore it to so if it makes things easier. Thank you

Opalg said:
If $s$ is a fixed $4\times2$ matrix (with linearly independent columns) then the map $A\mapsto sAs^{\textsf{T}}$ takes the $2\times2$ matrix $A$ to a $4\times4$ matrix. If $A$ represents a linear transformation of $\mathbb{R}^2$ then $sAs^{\textsf{T}}$ represents the linear transformation of $\mathbb{R}^4$ which acts like $A$ on the 2-dimensional subspace spanned by the columns of $s$, and is zero on the orthogonal subspace.

This is precisely the way I have been attacking my problem thus far. The columns will be linearly independent as they consist of just zeros and ones. Do you know if there is a way of being able to tell where an element of the $2\times 2$ will end up in the $4\times 4$. I have been doing trial and error to figure it out but can't yet see the pattern.

What is a matrix transformation?

A matrix transformation is a mathematical operation that transforms one matrix into another, using a set of predefined rules and equations.

What is the purpose of a matrix transformation?

The purpose of a matrix transformation is to manipulate and change the values and structure of a matrix in order to solve mathematical problems and represent real-world situations.

What are some common examples of matrix transformations?

Some common examples of matrix transformations include scaling, rotation, shearing, and reflection. These transformations are used in computer graphics, physics, and other fields of science and engineering.

How is a matrix transformation performed?

A matrix transformation is performed by multiplying a given matrix with a transformation matrix, which contains the rules and equations for the specific transformation being applied. The resulting matrix is the transformed version of the original matrix.

What are the properties of a matrix transformation?

The properties of a matrix transformation include linearity, where the transformation preserves the lines and planes of the original matrix; invertibility, where the transformation can be reversed by multiplying with the inverse transformation matrix; and composition, where multiple transformations can be combined into a single transformation by multiplying their respective transformation matrices.