Construct a Moore Circuit for Binary String '01' Detection: Step-by-Step Guide"

In summary, the problem is that the circuit of the problem does not output the correct result when the input sequence '01' is encountered. The Moore Machine that was created can be used to find the equations for A+ and B+ but there is a problem with the output being dependent on the input. Karnough-diagrams were used to find the equations for A+ and B+ but failed because the output was not based on the input. The problem may be that the circuit is not following the rules of the Moore Machine.
DenDanne
Summary:: I have a problem getting the circuit of the problem to a Moore-solution.

"Construct a Moore Machine and show it in a circuit, that outputs '1' whenever the sequence '01' is encountered in any input binary string (using D-flipflops)".

First of, I have written the Moore Machine.
Untitled.png

I don't think this is where the problem is, as it is quite straight forward in that step.

From this Moore Machine, I do a truth table.
Capture.PNG

And then I use Karnough-diagrams to find equations for A+, B+ and U.
Capture2.PNG

Here is where I get some troubles.
Because by definition of Moore machines. The output shall only be a result of the present state and some output combinatorial logic. NOT the the input. (that is mealy). But as you can see, I get an I in the output formula. So using this method I get an output dependent on the input, which is not allowed!

What have I thought wrong about?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

The next state does depend on the input and the current state, as you have shown. The output only depends on the state, so get rid of the I term in that equation -- it is not used.

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:

The next state does depend on the input and the current state, as you have shown. The output only depends on the state, so get rid of the I term in that equation -- it is not used.
Thanks!
But if I Karnough without input I, then I get U=A'B. And the problem with this is that there are two times when 01 is the state. Or should I use Karnough on A+ and B+ (next states), that would solve the problem since A+ is only 1 once. But I have never used Karnough on "next states" before.

When you are in state 01, the output is 1, and it is 0 otherwise. You have 2 FFs in the circuit, so the combinatorial circuit to generate the output takes the outputs of the two FFs as inputs.

If they are DFFs, the input D terms come from the two K-maps that you have above for the next state.

Likes scottdave
berkeman said:
When you are in state 01, the output is 1, and it is 0 otherwise. You have 2 FFs in the circuit, so the combinatorial circuit to generate the output takes the outputs of the two FFs as inputs.

If they are DFFs, the input D terms come from the two K-maps that you have above for the next state.
But according the the State Diagram. The output is 0 when I am in state 01? Only in 10 is the output 1. Hence, I'm thinking that U=AB' is correct for U?

1. What is a Moore Circuit?

A Moore Circuit is a type of sequential logic circuit that uses a finite state machine to store and process information. It consists of a set of inputs, outputs, and a state register that stores the current state of the circuit.

2. What is the purpose of constructing a Moore Circuit for binary string '01' detection?

The purpose of constructing a Moore Circuit for binary string '01' detection is to design a circuit that can detect the presence of the binary string '01' in a given input sequence. This can be useful in various applications such as data processing and error detection.

3. What are the basic components required to construct a Moore Circuit for binary string '01' detection?

The basic components required to construct a Moore Circuit for binary string '01' detection include a state register, a combinational logic circuit, and an output circuit. The state register stores the current state of the circuit, the combinational logic circuit processes the input and determines the next state, and the output circuit generates the desired output based on the current state.

4. What are the steps involved in constructing a Moore Circuit for binary string '01' detection?

The steps involved in constructing a Moore Circuit for binary string '01' detection are as follows:

1. Define the states of the circuit and assign binary codes to each state.

2. Design the state register using flip-flops to store the current state.

3. Design the combinational logic circuit to determine the next state based on the current state and input.

4. Design the output circuit to generate the desired output based on the current state.

5. Connect the components together to form the complete circuit.

5. How does a Moore Circuit for binary string '01' detection work?

A Moore Circuit for binary string '01' detection works by first storing the initial state in the state register. Then, as the input sequence is provided, the combinational logic circuit processes the input and determines the next state. The state register is updated with the new state, and the output circuit generates the desired output based on the current state. This process continues until the circuit detects the binary string '01' and outputs the desired result.