Construct Opamp circuit for given inputs and output

In summary, a capacitor potential divider can be made using capacitors of different values to reduce the current through the divider. You need to find the smallest capacitor that will work with the given resistance and scale the capacitance by a factor of 1000 to get smaller stable capacitors.
etf
Here is my task:

Construct circuit ? which uses power supplies +12V and -12V and gives output voltage:

51trpt.jpg

where

2s6oxgk.png

Here is circuit:

12153dj.png

I solved it using 4 opamps:

First opamp scales V3, second integrates V4, third sums the results of the prior two circuits and fourth inverts signs in sum (output of third opamp). Can this problem be solved using single opamp?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
How do you interpret the factor “ –1/100ms ” in the equation for Viz ? “ –(1/100) ms ” ?

The LTspice schematic "filename.asc" is a text file.
You can append a .txt extension to make "filename.asc.txt" and attach it to your post.

Likes etf
To be honest, I don't know exactly what they mean with ms.

Because dt is time, the integral of a constant voltage is a ramp with units of volts * time.
Before summing as a voltage it must be converted to the same dimensions, by multiplication by 1 / time.

Maybe the constant of integration is –1k / (100* sec) = – 10 / sec = – 10 * sec-1 ?

The op-amp sums a ramp with a sinewave, then inverts the result. Can V4= +1V be a floating voltage source ?

Likes etf
I don't think they made mistake in original formulation...
I solved it using single opamp. Here is schematic:

singl.png

Here is relation for V1 (Viz in original formulation):

resenje.png

We can choose now C1 and C2 so C1 / C2 = 2 (for example C1= 2*470uF, C2=470uF), but I'm confused about second term, more precisely, about units.

If we solve equation [tex]R1[Ohm]*C2[Farad]=10*10^{}(-3)[seconds][/tex] for R1, we get:
[tex]R1 = \frac{10*10^{}(-3)[seconds]}{470*10^{}(-6)[F]} = 21.2766 [\frac{seconds}{Farads}] ?[/tex]

Last edited:
Well done. Seems like a sensible solution.
There needs to be initial conditions of V3 = Vc1 = Vc2 = zero.

The mention of +/– 12V supplies suggests the real world. That may require a low value resistor be switched across C2 to bring the output back up to zero following an integration.

Most people do not consider potential dividers made out of capacitors, probably because stray capacitance becomes a problem when the signal currents are minimised. Oscilloscopes often use a resistance of 1M with about 12pF of parallel capacitance. For a broad band flat response, all R||C elements of the divider need to have the same time constant.

Likes etf
etf said:
We can choose now C1 and C2 so C1 / C2 = 2 (for example C1= 2*470uF, C2=470uF), but I'm confused about second term, more precisely, about units.
-1/100ms. The units are reciprocal seconds which will cancel with the ( integrated V .dt ) = volts * seconds

The coefficient wanted is -1 / (R1 * C1)
Therefore R1*C1 = 100 m = 0.1
If C2 = 470 uF, and C1 = (470 + 470) uF
Since R1 * C1 = 0.1
R1 = 0.1 / C1 = 106.38 ohms

But that low resistance and huge capacitance will require very high currents.

Use 3 identical capacitors from the same batch to make the two capacitors needed.
Make the 2*C by paralleling two, as series connection reduces capacitance and so wastes space and dollars.

Use the smallest cap that will work with R1 = 100k. Above 100k, surface leakage starts to become important.
So now scale the capacitance by a factor of 1000 to get smaller stable capacitors of say; 940 nF and 470 nF.
R1 is now 0.1 / 0.940u
R1 = (0.1/0.940) Meg ohm
R1 = 106.38 k ohm.
The integration current has fallen from 10 mA to 10 uA. That's better.

But what is the order of magnitude of the current through the capacitive potential divider ?
C = Q / V; Q = I * t; C = I * t / V; therefore C = I * t / V; I = C * V / t
For C = 1uF, t = 1/100 sec and V = 2 we get I = 200uA which is now OK.
Add half more again for the output side; 300 uA. That is certainly better than 300mA.

Likes etf
Attached is the LTspice simulation. Not sure why the output starts at -3V.

Attachments

• problem.asc.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 383
Baluncore said:
-1/100ms
You mean -1/10ms ?

etf said:
You mean -1/10ms ?
You are correct. I should have checked the OP.
Everything I did needs to be recalculated, but I know you know what you are doing, because you picked up my error.

Likes etf
Attached is the LTspice simulation. Output now starts at 0V.

Attachments

• problem2.asc.txt
    2 KB · Views: 374
Thanks a lot!

1. How do I determine the appropriate values for the resistors in the opamp circuit?

The values of the resistors in an opamp circuit can be determined using Ohm's law and the desired gain of the circuit. The gain is calculated by dividing the output voltage by the input voltage. Once the gain is known, the values of the resistors can be chosen to achieve the desired gain.

2. What is the purpose of the opamp in the circuit?

The opamp, or operational amplifier, is used to amplify the input signal and provide a larger output signal. It also helps to maintain stability and linearity in the circuit.

3. How do I choose the appropriate opamp for my circuit?

The choice of opamp depends on the required specifications of the circuit, such as gain, bandwidth, and input/output impedance. It is important to select an opamp that meets these requirements and also has low noise and distortion levels.

4. How do I ensure that the opamp circuit is stable?

To ensure stability, the opamp circuit should have proper feedback and compensation components, such as resistors and capacitors. The values of these components should be chosen carefully to prevent oscillations and maintain stability.

5. Can the opamp circuit be used for both AC and DC signals?

Yes, the opamp circuit can be used for both AC and DC signals. However, the circuit may require different values of components for different types of signals, such as coupling capacitors for AC signals and biasing resistors for DC signals.