Constructing a Bounded Closed set

For ii), you could take the set E = {1/n : n is a natural number}. This set is bounded and closed, and its limit points are exactly the set of reciprocals of natural numbers, which is a countable set. In summary, for part i) of the homework statement, a bounded closed subset of the real numbers with exactly three limit points can be constructed by taking the set containing 0 and 1/n for all natural numbers n, 1 with 1 + 1/n, and 2009 with 2009 - 1/n. For part ii), a bounded closed set E contained in the real numbers for which E' (set of limit points of E) is a countable set
snipez90

Homework Statement

i) Construct a bounded closed subset of R (reals) with exactly three limit points
ii) Construct a bounded closed set E contained in R for which E' (set of limit points of E) is a countable set.

Homework Equations

Definition of limit point used: Let A be a subset of metric space X. Then b is a limit point of A if every neighborhood of b contains a point A different from b.

The Attempt at a Solution

All right so this seems pretty easy if you do it the lame way like I did. For i), you could just take the set containing 0 and 1/n for all natural numbers n, and this obviously has 0 as its only limit point. Have two other sets say, 1 with 1 + 1/n and 2009 with 2009 - 1/n. Clearly we have boundedness. Closed follows from intersection of sets which each contain their limit points.

It seems like we can extend the idea in i) to ii) as well (correct me if I'm wrong). However, is there a nicer way to construct these two sets?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your 'lame' way is actually pretty nice.

Related to Constructing a Bounded Closed set

1. What is a bounded closed set?

A bounded closed set in mathematics is a set of numbers or points that are contained within a specific range or interval, and the set includes its boundary points. This means that both the maximum and minimum values are included in the set.

2. How is a bounded closed set constructed?

A bounded closed set can be constructed by identifying the range or interval that the set should fall within, and including all points within that range, including the maximum and minimum values. This can be represented visually as a closed shape or line segment on a graph.

3. What is the difference between a bounded closed set and an unbounded set?

A bounded closed set has a finite range or interval and includes its boundary points, while an unbounded set has no specific range or interval and can extend infinitely in one or more directions. An unbounded set may also not include its boundary points, depending on how it is defined.

4. Can a bounded closed set contain an infinite number of points?

No, a bounded closed set can only contain a finite number of points, as it has a specific range or interval. However, depending on the size of the range, the number of points in the set can be as large as needed to fit within that range.

5. How is a bounded closed set used in mathematical proofs and analysis?

Bounded closed sets are commonly used in mathematical proofs and analysis as they provide a well-defined and finite set of points to work with. They also help to establish limits and boundaries for functions and equations, making it easier to analyze their behavior and properties.