Constructing a hall effect transducer

In summary, it is not possible to construct a hall effect transducer without the use of p-type semiconductors.
tummychow
Is it possible to construct a hall effect transducer without the use of p-type semiconductors? I've been looking into the fundamental design of a hall effect sensor, and it generally comprises some amplification/thermal control bits and pieces that all are bound to the most important part, the hall element itself. I'm familiar with all the little bits from other work. But I need the element first.

Commercial hall effect sensors employ elements made out of superthin wafers of p-type semiconductor, from what I've seen. Gallium arsenide and indium antimonide are the norm in the industry (again, from what I've seen). However, I definitely do not have access to these materials.

From a theoretical standpoint, the Hall effect creates a potential difference across any conducting plate that has a current running across it. However, theory often fails to translate into reality. I am seriously in doubt of the idea that I could use any old metal plate, scrub it down, and pipe a current across it to observe the Hall effect (in at least a response of tens of microvolts, which could be amplified with an ultralow offset opamp like an OP07). Is this possible, or (as I suspect) am I spouting impossibilities?

PS: My theoretical knowledge is running a bit short here since I'm not quite sure how to analyze the hall response theoretically (which would let me figure out if building my own hall element was possible), when I don't know how to analyze the charge carrier density theoretically. Wikipedia tells me that the carrier density is usually determined by analysis with the Hall effect >_> not very useful for this problem. Theory of charge carrier density is a question for another time though.

Physics news on Phys.org
The hall voltage is the result of an electric field caused by the deflection of electrons (the current) when a conductor is in a magnetic field.
The force due to the electric field is equal to the force due to the magnetic field.
Analysing this equality give the equation for the HALL VOLTAGE :

Vh = (BxI)/(net)
where B = Magnetic flux density (T)
I = current (A)
n = electron concentration (electrons per m^3)
e = electron charge (1.6 x 10^-19C)
t = thickness of sheet

With metals the electron concentration is high ≈ 10^29 and this means that the Hall voltage is small and therefore difficult to detect.
If you make I = 1A, B= 10T and t =1mm (1 x 10^-3 m) and substitute these you should see that you get about 1μV.
Semiconductors are used in practical Hall effect probes because they can be made with a very small free charge carrier concentration and therefore give a larger Vh

First off, thanks for the quoted number on charge carrier density. that helps a lot. I guess I would have to pass through a ton of current to make the effect more visible? I don't think I'm going to be dealing with magnetic fields that strong. (probably on the order of magnitude of 0.00002T or possibly even less)

1. What is a hall effect transducer?

A hall effect transducer is a type of sensor that converts a magnetic field into an electrical signal. It utilizes the hall effect, which is the production of a voltage difference across an electrical conductor when it is placed in a magnetic field.

2. How does a hall effect transducer work?

A hall effect transducer works by using a thin piece of semiconductor material, such as gallium arsenide, that is placed in a magnetic field. When the material is exposed to the magnetic field, it causes a difference in electric potential, which can be measured and converted into an electrical signal.

3. What are the advantages of using a hall effect transducer?

One advantage of using a hall effect transducer is its high sensitivity to changes in magnetic fields. It can also operate at high frequencies and is not affected by temperature changes. Additionally, it has a longer lifespan compared to other types of sensors.

4. How is a hall effect transducer constructed?

A hall effect transducer is constructed by first selecting a suitable semiconductor material and then shaping it into a thin, rectangular strip. The strip is then attached to a conductive metal lead and placed in a protective housing. Finally, wires are attached to the leads to allow for the measurement of the electrical signal.

5. What are the applications of a hall effect transducer?

Hall effect transducers have a wide range of applications, including in position and speed sensing, current measurement, and magnetic field measurement. They are commonly used in automotive and industrial applications, such as in fuel level sensors and motor control systems.