Constructing a Toffoli gate with qubit gates?

• Thread starter randomafk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gate Qubit
In summary, Nielson's book on quantum computation and information states that any $C^2(U)$ gate can be constructed using two qubit and one qubit gates. To verify this, one can look at input combinations of 00, 01, 10, and 11 for the first two qubits and see that only for 11 does the gate V^2 act on the target qubit. However, there is no known systematic way to construct this gate from the given circuit.
randomafk
I'm looking through Nielson's book on quantum computation and information and in part of it he says that any $C^2(U)$ gate can be constructed from two qubit and one qubit gates. I can't figure out how to do this, or how to verify it (fig 4.8 in his book)
I've attached a photo of the diagram:
http://i.minus.com/i1JWvF4bKP1N1.png

Also: Is there an easier way to do this than multipyling 8x8 matricies? Right now I represent the first gate as
[itex] I_1 \otimes\begin{pmatrix}
I & 0 \\
0 & V
\end{pmatrix}_{23}[/itex]

where [itex]I[/itex] is the identity matrix in for one qubit, and [itex]V[/itex] satisfies [itex]V^2 = U[/itex]. [itex]U[/itex] is the unitary matrix being applied.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's easier to look at input combinations of 00 01 10 and 11 for the first two qubits. You can easily see that only for 11 do you have V^2 acting on the target. 00 does nothing to the target qubit while 01 and 10 have V and V-dagger acting in succession which is an identity operation.

That verifies it, but it doesn't help you construct it. I'm not too sure how one would think of a systematic way to go from the circuit on the left to the one on the right.

Related to Constructing a Toffoli gate with qubit gates?

1. What is a Toffoli gate?

A Toffoli gate is a type of quantum logic gate that operates on three quantum bits (qubits). It is also known as the Controlled-Controlled-Not (CCN) gate and is commonly used in quantum computing for reversible computation.

2. How does a Toffoli gate work?

A Toffoli gate works by performing a controlled-NOT operation on two qubits (control qubits) based on the state of a third qubit (target qubit). If the target qubit is in the state |1>, the control qubits are flipped. If the target qubit is in the state |0>, the control qubits remain unchanged.

3. Why is constructing a Toffoli gate with qubit gates important?

Constructing a Toffoli gate with qubit gates is important because it allows for the implementation of more complex quantum algorithms. The Toffoli gate is a universal gate, meaning it can be used to construct any quantum logic operation, making it a valuable tool in quantum computing.

4. What are the challenges in constructing a Toffoli gate with qubit gates?

The main challenge in constructing a Toffoli gate with qubit gates is maintaining the coherence and entanglement of the qubits. Qubits are highly sensitive to external interference, making it difficult to implement precise quantum operations. Additionally, the Toffoli gate requires precise control over the interactions between the qubits, which can be technically challenging to achieve.

5. What are some possible methods for constructing a Toffoli gate with qubit gates?

There are several methods for constructing a Toffoli gate with qubit gates, including using quantum circuits, quantum algorithms, and adiabatic quantum computation. Some proposed techniques also involve using additional qubits as ancilla qubits to assist in the construction of the Toffoli gate. However, the most efficient method for constructing a Toffoli gate may vary depending on the specific quantum computing system being used.